Iron Butterfly
Heavy

by Antonius USER (26 Reviews)
June 24th, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,605 views

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Iron Butterfly showed the way

Undeniably a trademark album in the history of rock music. It's not the best album of the band but surely their most important one. Simplicity and originality are the main characteristics since songs have a short duration. From a first hearing, someone can understand that it was something new at that point in time. The album is characterised as 'psychedelic' rock and it's influenced by the music and the psychedelic spirit of the era. It was the first time that something in the music industry was called 'heavy'.

Despite being the main composer, Doug Ingle was also the keyboardist and vocalist of the band and from this album and on the music identity of Iron Butterfly is starting to take shape. I will not hide from you that when I first heard ''Possession'' I understood that a melodic album would follow. Next song, ''Unconscious Power'' has a faster tempo and is based on a combination of the guitar's riff and the keyboards. ''Get out of my life, woman'', ''Gentle as it may seem'' and ''Look for the sun'' have a more groovy rhythm and leave their trademarks with their own solos. One of the songs that I can somehow pick out from those that Ingle is not on the vocals is ''So-Lo''. ''Stamped Ideas'' is the song that its completely different from the others and slips from the overall picture of the album since it is somehow cheerful. However, it cannot be criticized as a bad addition to the album since we can find beautiful guitar and keyboard solos again. In my opinion ''Fields of Sun'' is one of the strong points in the disc since it combines lovely lyrics and a melody that will lead to the climax somewhere in the middle of the song where the high vocals are waiting to give a nice ending. Lastly, the band will close the album with the instrumental anthem ''Iron Butterfly Theme''. I have found the concept of the song a very brilliant idea, since it tries to portray the life cycle of a butterfly.

Generally, there are not lengthy solos or jamming that would 'exhaust' the listener. In addition, there is not any acoustic song on the album that will make you question the band's identity. In my opinion, the instrument that distinguishes on the album is the keyboards since they bind excellently Ingle's voice, who starts to shape Iron Butterfly's sound.

James La Petite MortRival Sons Great Western Valkyrie
Royal Blood Out of the BlackRadio Moscow Radio Moscow
Boston Life, Love & HopeThe Temperance Movement The Temperance Movement

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Willie
June 24th 2012

I added your first two reviews and deleted the other eight. Don't re-add them until these are off the front page... one or two at a time, at the most.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

June 24th 2012

Damn, i wanted to review this one.
Good job mate and pos'd. This album is truly a pleasurable listen for those who love heavy Psych
music.

Also, bear in mind what Willie said.

JamieTwort

20450 Comments

Nice. I haven't heard this one but In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida rules.

Some suggestions:

"Undeniably a trademark album in the history of rock music."

You should analyse a bit more the importance of this record.

"surely their most important one"

Again, you should talk about it, not just make a reference.
And i think that their most important album is their next one.

June 24th 2012

I am new to the site and I am not very familiar with the rules. Sorry about that. I will add a couple at a time then. I appreciate your help

Digging: Blues Pills - Blues Pills

johnnydeking29
June 24th 2012

This sounds brutal as fuck

Digging: Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

LynxTiger
June 24th 2012

well its clearly not the ultimate trademark album of rock music, needs more progressive wank

LynxTiger
June 24th 2012

brutal as ur mum last night

johnnydeking29

Who the fuck are you?

MO

album rules

RunOfTheMill
June 24th 2012

Good review, welcome to the site. Also try not to use first person in the reviews, it makes it sound unprofessional and more opinion-based.

These guys are on my list of music to check, but I'm wondering if I should check this one or their second album first.

June 24th 2012

^ Check their second first. Its is an undenaible heavy Psych classic.

June 24th 2012

Thanks for the welcoming and the advice RunOfTheMill. Yeah I agree you should check out the second one first and then this one.

TheNotrap

Sweet band, have a pos.

Digging: Accept - Blind Rage

Thanks bro

September 19th 2013

Decent album. The band sounds really unfocused in this one.
"Iron Butterfly Theme" is one of their best songs.