Curren$y
The Stoned Immaculate

by Tupik USER (12 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2012 | 23 replies | 4,741 views

Flooding the market with numerous mixtapes, albums and EPs at the rate of three projects a year since 2008, it's a wonder how Curren$y can keep listeners interested and yearning for more material. It's even more baffling when you take into account the limited subjects of Spitta Andretti's songs, which for the most part revolve around smoking weed, rolling around in nice cars, making money and ***ing bitches. But he somehow pulls it off, thanks to a great ear for beats and his nonchalant voice and flow delivered with his trademark southern drawl.

Curren$y probably hasn't surprised anyone since dropping the fan-favorite Pilot Talk series in 2010, but has always stayed consistent and managed to find new interesting ways to talk about his aforementioned favorite topics, littering his albums with numerous punchlines that can get stuck in your head for quite some time, only to make you come back for more whenever he decides to bless his fans with yet another release. The Stoned Immaculate, Curren$y's first real studio album backed by a major label (Warner Bros.) is no exception to that rule, delivering in every way possible for Curren$y fans. Spitta clearly knows his audience and while he doesn't take too many risks throuhout the album, he is sure to please any avid listener. This also means that there isn't much here for someone who wasn't convinced by the rapper's previous outputs: If you didn't like Curren$y beforehand, this most certainly isn't going to change your opinion of him.

This is definitely one of Curren$y's strongest releases yet, the usual spaced-out and open beats matching his slow release to a T, while the more aggressive songs ("Showroom", "Sunroof") are perfect for bobbing your head while swerving through the traffic (and are probably more entertaining than the other songs on here). Once again, we find in The Stoned Immaculate the same consistency that makes Curren$y's albums so interesting (contrast that with the prolificacy I touched upon earlier and you'll understand why this guy is such a perplexing artist), although this might be less true here than with his other projects (ie. the weaker songs here are definitely a notch below the stronger ones in terms of quality). The features on here are also pretty well implemented, with 2 Chainz and Pharell giving the most notable help in my opinion. The only disappointment here is the Big K.R.I.T. and Wiz Khalifa-backed song "Jet Life", which could certainly have been better considering the three rappers track record together (Most notably on the song "Glass House" off of Krizzle's K.R.I.T Wuz Here and Khalifa's Kush & OJ).

All-in-all, deciding whether to give this a try is pretty easy: if you like Curren$y, this is a must-have. If you don't, you can pass your way. If you've never listened to him, you should definitely try giving this or Pilot Talk a listen, because you're missing out on something you can get hooked on pretty quickly. I know I'm checking out every Curren$y release, even if he picks up his pace even more and starts dropping ten albums a year.

Camp Lo Uptown Saturday NightBlu and Exile Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them
The Roots undunPhonte Charity Starts at Home
Royce da 5'9 Success Is CertainEligh Grey Crow

Idnuf
June 23rd 2012

mmm good review man, still need to check this out

Pentagon

1998 Comments

Toke weed fuck bitches erryday. Good album + review

June 23rd 2012

yeah this is a dope album, glad it delivered since Live From the Underground was a relative disappointment

good review Tupik

wacknizzle
June 23rd 2012

Hmm... I've heard his older stuff, some of which I like so I'll probably check this out. Good review as well.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

chambered49
June 23rd 2012

need this bad great review

VARGHULF
June 23rd 2012

i actually thought jet life was good. the chorus of "dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this jet hoe jet life till the next life jet life till the next life jet life till the next life jet life till the next life jet life till the next life jet life till the next life " got old real quick though.

personally i thought audio dope 3 was the best track.

trytorememberforget
June 23rd 2012

hundred stacks in the armoire

Blackbelt54
June 23rd 2012

I really need to get this

Tupik
June 24th 2012

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Like others said, Audio Dop 3 is very very good, which is why everyone should definitely get the
album with the bonus tracks in it.

"i actually thought jet life was good. the chorus of "dont miss this jet hoe dont miss this
old real quick though."

That's definitely the main problem with this song, but even the verses are weak when compared to
"Glass House" (which is one of my favorite songs from either three of the guys rapping in it)

June 24th 2012

yeah Audio Dope 3 rules, not as much as Audio Dope 2 though

kingsoby1
June 28th 2012

good job dude. cant get into currensy

jimmykidd
July 27th 2012

damn this is good. spitta never disappoints. so consistent.

Casablanca
August 9th 2012

Cool review, but I think I'll pass on this. Curren$y has never done it for me

FourthReich
September 9th 2012

never liked this guy but ill give this a try i suppose

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

Hawks
October 2nd 2012

Hmmm thought I had this rated already. Anyways, this is fantastic.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

October 3rd 2012

this is really cool, but something about the production is off to me

I think I like Cigarette Boats more actually...

robertsona
October 3rd 2012

i really like the first track, bink! is a great producer

Hawks
October 4th 2012

I gotta hear more from Curren$y. Still need both of the Pilot Talk albums and I know those are his most popular releases.

robertsona
October 4th 2012

pilot talk and weekend at burnies are both really good, the former especially so

afoolonahill
January 9th 2013

privacy glass is the best hip-hop track of 2012.