Lustmord
The Place where the Black Stars Hang

by Acanthus USER (46 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2012 | 30 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You are alone.

From the moment The Place Where The Black Stars Hang begins, this fact is abundantly clear. Subconsciously, or perhaps in reality, something is humming. Something incredibly deep and vast, perhaps something alive. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

A slight hint of thunder is heard, far off in the distance. You begin to wonder, could it be? Suddenly a louder, shorter lived hum announces its unique presence, only to vanish once you begin to take notice. The noise of great distances, and the noise of speed is the only comfort to your ears. Perhaps you're dreaming, perhaps you're flying through the dark parts of the universe, passing entities both wonderful and dreadful to behold. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

All sense of time is gone, there is no counting seconds here. Attempts at tracking the sound of passing heavenly bodies is shattered by the abrupt existence and subsequent death of far louder, closer noises. All the while the hum continues, never leaving. Never comforting. Slowly the hum is accompanied by a heartbeat, and for a moment comfort is almost within your reach. A sound, one as if air was singing of sorrow and wandering incredibly dark, empty halls replaces the beating sounds of life. Smothers them, searching ever on. Perhaps it will find you and call you friend. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

The hum is now your companion, part of you, all that you know and hold dear. Throughout your ordeal the hum is constant, though other sounds make brief appearances only the hum, only your God, remains. The feeling of distance and speed is gone now, replaced with one of meandering and listlessness. The air that sung through those vast halls now beckons you again, the hum seemingly voicing acceptance. You move on, through the absence of time into spaces no man has ever reached. Into places no man has ever dreamed. As you follow the beating of life suddenly enters your hearing, could this be the beat you heard before? The air is gone now, the sense of wandering spaces vanished. Only the heartbeat, and a feeling of great weight above your head remains. You move forward, though it seems as if walls must be brushing your shoulders at any time. The hum begins to grow louder as you press on. Perhaps you've found God. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Gary Numan Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)Ryan Amon Elysium
Shpongle Museum of ConsciousnessAnamanaguchi Endless Fantasy
Sneaker Pimps Becoming RemixedJuno Reactor The Golden Sun Of The Great East
4.2

Other

Heresy

June 23rd 2012

I have the original, one track version of this; it always makes me think of being alone. Review is pretty much stream of thought, hence the every lengthening paragraphs, short sentences/fragments, and the repetition.

Honestly I love this almost as much as Heresy.

June 23rd 2012

Good review bro. Super surprised this didn't have a review. Pos.

June 23rd 2012

Heresy comes off as more dark, while this is more dismal and empty. I enjoy both, but this can't cause shivers at night given the right mood.

@Captain - thanks sir, this is the first "review" I've done that really wasn't terribly about the music so I wasn't sure what the reception would be.

SgtPepper
June 23rd 2012

I think you did a fantastic job, I certainly enjoyed reading it. I'll have to check this out. POS'd.

breakingthefragile
June 23rd 2012

Agree with your rating hands down, though I still can't decide if this album or Stalker is my favorite Lustmord LP. I'm torn between the two.

MyWife
June 23rd 2012

well stalker is obv the best duh but yea collab so

fish.

22033 Comments

have had this on my ipod for a while, need to listen

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

insomniac15
June 23rd 2012

Great review Acanthus. pos. I have heard some tracks from Lustmord, but somehow I missed this album. I have to give it a listen.

Digging: TV on the Radio - Seeds

June 23rd 2012

@ Acanthus - no problem bro. Yes it worked very well. I enjoyed your metaphorical and descriptive approach. The contrast
you laid out felt like a lot of Tool lyrics where the interpretation is left to the consumer. It was very poetic in a sense and I
could tell you were passionate about what you felt, and honest. These kind of albums can be hard to describe in a literal way
so I felt the route you took was perfect bro.

Graveyard
June 23rd 2012

Haven't heard this one yet, but that will change

Digging: Prurient - Bermuda Drain

June 23rd 2012

Hey you're unbanned. Welcome back.

Graveyard
June 23rd 2012

Thanks, my drunken ways are a thing of the past atm

Cells
June 23rd 2012

What a great review man, props.

sifFlammable
June 23rd 2012

i really dont like this style of reviewing - the review doesnt add anything to your summary - and the perhaps perhaps not is just annoying. im still grateful cos i appreciate having a thread for a lustmord album though

this is better than heresy, but carbon core is better than this i think

AngelofDeath

Best Lustmord.

jjwitt
June 23rd 2012

Just listened to this last night for the first time. Very cool that you just reviewed it. And yeah, the sense of loneliness is just oppressive. Every sound is suggestive and gives a sense of setting and mood better than most any ambient I've heard.

HitlerIsADeity
June 23rd 2012

heresy is better. this is still great though

June 23rd 2012

@sif - thanks for the honesty sir, I knew when writing it that many would find parts or the whole thing annoying, but I am glad about the renewed Lustmord interest as well. I could have reviewed it seriously, it just didn't interest me as much as trying my hand at this.

I need to get more of his work, but I really feel like it's walking a fine line between great and subpar releases; I've got this, Heresy, and Other.

sifFlammable
June 23rd 2012

should move on to carbon core

June 24th 2012

Thanks for the rec, I'll try and listen to it tonight!