Edguy
Rocket Ride

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2012 | 17 replies | 1,271 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A shift from traditional power metal to something that blends hard rock and power metal.

Edguy used to be a top tier German power metal band, but ever since they started to throw out some catchy hard rock songs that almost felt like a throwback to the 1980's glam metal scene – things for the happy-go-lucky power metal band kind of went downhill from their respected power metal roots. In 2006 they released Rocket Ride which is the album that shifts them from a once prominent power metal band to more of a hard rock/metal band. The leading factor of the noticeable change dealt with the change of their musical formula: the decrease of fast paced drums to a slower paced rock style, a significant amount of guitar solos were also decreased. But they haven't exactly left their roots completely. Tobias Sammet still has powerful vocals throughout every single chorus, the only difference is that he picked up a sleazy verse voice that makes this album so much more enjoyable.

But the change of their style isn't exaclty noticed right off the bat when the listener hears the opening 'epic' entitled Sacrifice. The song itself has some of the heaviest riffs off the entire album along with power metal vocals, it only hits the listener that they've changed until the solo comes in as well as if you pay attention to the guitars and drums throughout the entire eight minute song. Don't get me wrong or anything, it's a great song but it may be overbearing for some due to it's length, just like the seven minute ballad 'epic', The Asylum. Which is a song that builds up on itself as the song progresses in length, it's decent at best, and quite enjoyable for what it is. It even comes close to being a major highlight off the album, but I see it differing in other opinions based on its length and the song structure. Besides that, other songs such as Superheroes, Rocket Ride, Catch of the Century, Wasted Time, and Out of Vogue are classic Edguy songs that fuse Hard Rock and Power Metal together, and they all come out rationing each other with catchy choruses and respectable solos that range from being decent to good. While songs like Save Me and The Asylum are ballad like songs that are catchy and recommended, but they could have been better if there were certain little things added such as a solo or a shorter song structure.

The album itself doesn't falter into the dark by being a bad album, it's actually a fairly reasonable listen that doesn't demand too much from the listener – the album border lines on a mainstream hard rock album with a blend of power metal. But that shouldn't be any sort of turn off to the listener. There's even throw back moments in the album that reminds the listener of the glam metal scene that was prevalent in the 1980's with bands like Guns N' Roses or Motley Crue. While there are moments that have the 1980's glam metal vibe, only one song can truly captivates that euphemism, and that song is entitled ***ing With Fire (Hair Force One). While the song itself is sleazy in its own right, it sure is an excellent album closer that has a powerful chorus that will have the listener singing along with it in the end. Generally speaking, every album has that one song that's just down right retarded; on Rocket Ride the album filler/skipper/joke (whatever you call it) is entitled Trinidad, which is a “tribute” song to the little Caribbean island. Trust me it's not worth listening to, but if you're bored and want a fun song that will cheer you up or something then you might want to check it out, but I don't recommend it.

To conclude, Rocket Ride is an overlooked album within Edguy's discography, though it may be their most mainstream as well. Basically what I'm saying, is that it's catchy as hell with simple song structures compared to their predecessors but it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Even if the album is that album that can be looked at as their “sellout” album that shifted their gears and what not, it really is an album worth the time for any power metal head or Edguy fan.

Recommended songs:
Rocket Ride
Save Me
Superheroes
***ing With Fire (Hair Force One)
Catch of the Century
Out of Vogue

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (1.5)

June 22nd 2012

I thought I'd give this a positive review.

constructive criticism welcomed.

ThroneOfAgony
June 22nd 2012

Nice review, but next time, if/when you are describing the tracks, I'd break them up into more
paragraphs instead of one giant one like you did. It'll read a lot better, that's just me personally
though

June 22nd 2012

I usually don't have one giant paragraph, I just wasn't thinking of doing that. I might edit it later to break it up some, I have a feeling I know where.

needz moar blood.

Da11thMytrillSphere
June 22nd 2012

I prefer their past releases.

By the way, 5 years ago tears of mandrake was one of my favorite songs

June 22nd 2012

Yesterday was pretty bugged out to say the least. I met up with these 3 kids one being my cousin and chilled with them as there shroom trip was just starting. It was fucking hilarious to watch them say nonsensical shit and cry in awe at wallpaper and door handles. It was also great cuz one of the kids trippin had mad paper to throw and with that we bought more bud and papers, so it was a fun night. But it went south from there when I went to listen to some Vektor and thats when I noticed.........my screen cracked. After 4 years of full time employment my 160 gig classic resigned, unwillingly. Needless to say I was and am still very pissed because I had like 100 gig worth of shit and now I have to go buy another one and dl all that shit again. rGoddamnit.

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

that fucking sucks.

scissorlocked
June 23rd 2012

the album is so much fun

also, nice work bud, have a pos

simonpettersen
June 23rd 2012

I enjoy this album, especially fucking with fire, lol.

Dreamflight

Nice review.

Sacrifice and The Asylum are the best here imo, and Catch of the Century bores me like hell.

Thanks guys.

Poet
June 23rd 2012

Yeah they are pretty poopy.

Da11thMytrillSphere
June 23rd 2012

Actually Vain Glory Opera rules, but I haven't listened more works of this bands a long time ago. Avantasia is better.

KjSwantko
June 23rd 2012

album is my single greatest guilty pleasure ever; jammed this so hard my senior year

June 23rd 2012

It is a guilty pleasure, I originally had this at a 3, but I started to listen to it again, but it's so fucking catchy.

jopower
June 23rd 2012

I haven't listened to this album yet, but Edguy is a great band.

Antonius
June 24th 2012

Very good review. Having known Edguy for long now I understand what you are trying to say and I agree with you.

Digging: Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door