Rush
A Farewell to Kings

by TormentorScott USER (2 Reviews)
January 28th, 2006 | 32 replies | 2,803 views

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

One thing I've noticed through my experiences listening to Rush albums (with the exception of their usually amazing live releases), is that they fall under one of two categories (or both): (1) They have some great songs or a great epic but are quite weak besides that, or (2) They are perfect in every way except length. This release falls under the latter...

Overview: This was a pre-sytnh era Rush album and my favorite at that! Probably their most balanced album as far as long, progged out songs mixed with short catchy tunes is concerned. Faster tunes and slower ones are also another point of balance. The flow of this record is just amazing. Warm sound, tons of unconventional instruments, and brilliant lyrics make this a classic. Not a bad song on it.

Track-by-track:

1. [A Farewell to Kings] Strong, strong opener. The mood is first set with a soothing acoustic classical guitar piece that is eventually joined in with some bells and ambient nature noises. Then come the opening thud and following mid-tempo section. Eventually this picks up with a cool little riff accompanied by some master percussion work. The song remains at this tempo until you reach the almost head banging chorus with the accents on the up beats. Geddys vocals reach a high point (in the literal sense) in this little ditty. The solos show off the entire band. As it closes it slows down a bit, taking it down a notch for the next song.

2. [Xanadu] Here comes the first epic! This one starts VERY quiet. The most dominant sounds being a wood block arrangement by Mr. Peart. This one accelerates musically but then hits a stop before the slower vocal section comes in. Chill as hell, and truly sets the stage for the rest of the song. The verses are fast and riddled with stops where Geddys vocals are allowed to soar. Strange thing about this song is: for what it is (a long prog-rock song) it's quite simple as far as song format is concerned. It's mostly a verse chorus type thing. Yet somehow, Rush makes it not boring, and before you know it the song is over.

3. [Closer to the Heart] The radio hit. This is a sort of a "peace&love" type tune that you can really sing along to. Starts with an infamous acoustic guitar riff that is joined by vocals and then drums and bass. Pop-length songs might seem weak most of the time, but after hearing the serious opening track and epic second track, this is quite welcome. Simple lyrics, simple music, simple and short solos. Very uplifting, very good.

4. [Cinderella Man] Mid-tempo song with slower chorus. Another simple but good song. Especially appropriate for those of us still feeling the after-effects of Xanadu, haha. This picks it up a bit, but is not too much of a jump from "Closer to the Heart". Lyrically lovely and subtly good musicianship go hand-in-hand and make this song as good as it is.

5. [Madrigal] My only gripe with the album. Now would be the time to start picking things up again, but instead we take a step back and get a song even slower than the previous two! A simple love song that is very slow and almost too simple even for a ballad. Fortunately it doesn't last for long and we soon get what we were waiting for...

6. [Cyngus X-1 Book 1-The Voyage Prologue] And here's the second epic (as if you couldn't tell from the name)! We get a surprisingly eerie intro with some futuristic-sounding noises and a deep, alien-like voice speaking in the background. After a while of this, a funky bass line kicks in and an equally laid back guitar and drums join in. The vocals that soon join in go from laid back to much louder, as does the music. After a short while of this, we get some good headbanging bits, and then the next part comes in.
This one is a bit more up-beat and happy, a HUGE jump from the last part. A big instrumental section comes after this and eventually we hit the chaotic section that leaves us hanging (until part two that is...)

4.3

dustyboy316
January 28th 2006

Great album. Rush ftw.

TheGreatFedora
January 28th 2006

Better review then mine. Great album.

SabianStinkfist
March 13th 2006

great review. probly the best overall rush album, second to moving pictures imo. it was a turning point for the band.

deathscreamingsheep
April 16th 2006

From Xanadu did Kublah Khan a stately pleasure dome decre...

And so on.

BludgeonySteve
May 17th 2006

My absolute favorite Rush album. Nothing tops The first 3 songs in a row. Nothing.

However I really want to know how Cygnus can be a space ship on this album and god of balance in the next one, Hemispheres. Wtf is sup wit dat?

Iluvatar
May 18th 2006

Don't question Peart non-believer.

masada
May 18th 2006

It's the Spaceship God. Duh.

gergsllaf
May 22nd 2006

In my opinion, this is one of, if not the best album Rush has ever created.

Rush is the ultimate band and they're Canadian like me!

Yeah!

November 13th 2006

not a gd reveiw a gr8 1, this album i must get

Anthracks
December 25th 2008

The really slow Rush songs are really friggen boring.

Digging: Devangelic - Resurrection Denied

wakeupdead
January 17th 2009

Cygnus X-1 is a black hole isnt it?

shindip
April 12th 2009

Just got this album, and after one listen, I'm hooked

Waior
July 2nd 2009

Xanadu is their best song ever.

NigelH
July 6th 2009

Just listened to this for the first time, and I am floored. Kicks the shit out of their supposed opus, Moving Pictures.

shindip
July 21st 2009

This is a damn good album, about even with 2112

November 19th 2010

To seek the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honeydew
And drink the milk of Paradise

best song ever

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

BigHans
November 19th 2010

Just listened to this again last night. Album rapes but Cygnus X-1 = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

AngelofDeath
November 19th 2010

Wtf? Cygnus is the second best song on the album after Xanadu.

November 19th 2010

we get you dont get prog hans maybe one day who knows

as for me