Belle and Sebastian
If You're Feeling Sinister

by Hudson Echo USER (14 Reviews)
June 21st, 2012 | 4 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

The sophomore album from the Scottish indie rock band Belle and Sebastian, If You're Feeling Sinister is their best effort. It is nothing short of brilliant. Lead singer for Belle and Sebastian, Stuart Murdoch, has a very distinct voice that blends well with the soaring pop melodies. The chord progressions are wonderfully quirky, (Seeing Other People), and the lyrics are superb (If You're Feeling Sinister).

One of my favorite tracks from the album is the opener, Stars Of Track And Field. The song begins very quiet, with only Murdoch's voice and his guitar. The song slowly gains momentum and grows to become a very good track.
The melody is extremely catchy, and the horn part around the 3 1/2 minute part is quite nice.

Another great track from the album is Seeing Other People. The chord progression, as I mentioned before, is very unique and quirky. The lyrics are very good, and the piano is wonderful. There is not a weak aspect of the song. It has everything a good song needs.

Like Dylan In The Movies, the fourth track on the album, has brilliant, brilliant lyrics.
"If they follow you
Don't look back
Like Dylan in the movies
On your own
If they follow you
It's not your money that they're after boy it's you"

Like every other track, this tune is very unique. The chorus is wonderful and uplifting. I especially like the bass in the verses.

But quite possibly my favorite song from the album is Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying. The song has a wonderful, catchy, emotional melody. While the lyrics do not stand out like on If You're Feeling Sinister, they are passable.

One great thing about this LP is that there is not a weak track. All of the tracks are unique in their own ways. If there was one thing you could not say about this album, it is that the songs sound the same. This gem stands out as one of the greatest albums of the '90s. It is too good to ignore.