Beyond the Bridge
The Old Man and The Spirit

by Kj USER (32 Reviews)
June 21st, 2012 | 32 replies | 3,849 views

Review Summary: A spectacular prog-metal debut.

Progressive metal has fallen-off in recent times; what was once a boundary-pushing and at least moderately-exciting genre has become about as exhilarating as sitting and watching grass grow. It’s played out; boundaries have been pushed and most of the reasonable limits have been reached. The vast majority of prog metal bands today revel in the glory of wanking themselves into oblivion while offering little of substance to the listener. Finding a unique band that’s doing something fascinating is becoming more difficult with each passing year. Every once in a while though a rare band surfaces that injects some life and personality into the scene; seven-member group Beyond the Bridge is one such band.

An export of Germany, BtB do progressive metal the way it’s meant to be done- with an emphasis on songwriting while sporadically sucking their own dicks just enough for people to recognize the extraordinary talent they’re hearing. Absent are the dizzying, practically computer-generated time signatures, tempo shifts, and key changes often serving little-to-no musical or artistic purpose. As a result, the songs don’t feel forced which gives the album an aura of authenticity. It feels natural. Along with this more conservative approach, BtB have a male and female vocalist structure (Herbie Langhans and Dilenya Mar). Songs like “World of Wonders” (featuring Mar’s soothing, angelic voice) shine the spotlight on one of the vocalists while most other tracks have them both combining in brilliant harmony. This changing dynamic adds variety and identity to the album which helps prevent it from becoming stale.

One listen to BtB and the obvious comparison is to Dream Theater; luckily, Beyond the Bridge rarely cross the threshold into gaudiness and sounding like they’re trying too hard. Their virtuosic abilities are unmistakable, yet the story-like lyrical content, powerful chords and duel-vocal harmonies allow the group to do what most bands in the genre can’t- maintain interest throughout the duration of an entire album.

On the negative side, the album’s production is similar to Dream Theater’s Systematic Chaos which leaves a lot to be desired; the drums are rather flat and poppy with little depth, while the record itself also lacks atmosphere. With that said, the bland production is easily overshadowed by the top-notch songwriting, unique duel-vocal system, and simple-but-effective melodies. Beyond the Bridge bring all the amenities we’ve come to expect in stellar fashion: unpredictable twists & turns in the songs, piano work, heavy tracks with driving riffs, softer tracks displaying vocal skill, melodic solos, and a taste of nearly everything else fused in along the way.

All in all, The Old Man And the Spirit flows so smoothly that the song changes often aren’t noticeable if one isn’t paying attention to it. The eleven songs perfectly fit together like a puzzle. Beyond the Bridge’s debut is one of 2012’s best so far and should be regarded as a manual in properly-done progressive metal for our era. When it comes to prog metal, these classically-trained musicians get it.

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)

June 20th 2012

What's good, friends? Highly rec this if you're into this style.

June 20th 2012

I just couldn't get into this. I listened to it for months trying to get it to click and move past a '3'. There are a lot of cool things going on in this album, but also some definite cheese.

Digging: Necropoli - I

June 20th 2012

I'm really surprised at that, Willie; I find most progmet to be boring nowadays but found this one to be exceptionally good from the first listen. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks I guess.

June 20th 2012

It was really good. That's the thing, but there just enough 'weird things' that didn't sit right with me that I never wanted to come back to it. I did anyway, just to see if it could grow on me. I could definitely see fans of Dream Theater and Fates Warning getting into this.

June 20th 2012

Good review KJ. I actually had this on my "to listen list" and am glad to see a solid review up for it. I see the biased opinions on it but I still wanna give it a shot. Pos.

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

June 20th 2012

I'm not much of a progmaster anymore, but honestly this album rules in comparison to most in the genre nowadays. I'm blown away 3 of the 5 people so far only rated it a 3. Never the less, Cheers and enjoy, brotha!

Apollo
June 20th 2012

good review man, you have come a long way since you joined the site. have a POS

may check this out

jybt
June 20th 2012

I can't say I enjoyed what I heard of this. The songwriting is weak, lacking cohesion and any particularly standout moments, the musicianship doesn't stand out either, and the vocals don't gel with the music; I liked the conceptual structure, but the music didn't support it well. This review is better-written, in all honesty.

June 21st 2012

@ jybt, as evidenced by my last two 2 reviews, clearly we have different taste when it comes to prog met. Never the less, your opinions and constructive criticism are appreciated. Cheers!

@Apollo, thanks.

AsoTamaki

MichaelSnoxall
June 21st 2012

These guys are better than Dream Theater. Dream Theater are terrible.

June 21st 2012

They've definitely got a DT vibe going on, but it's more old-style DT.

June 21st 2012

"Aw, man. It's always a bad sign when a new prog-metal band gets compared to Dream Theater. The male-female vocalist thing seems interesting though. Will check it out for that."

....Listen to the album; the obvious comparison is to DT. But yeah check 'em out, Aso.

"These guys are better than Dream Theater. Dream Theater are terrible."

...agreed, except for some of the old DT like Images & Words and Awake. That stuff is still legit.

June 21st 2012

Just finished the whole album and I'm shocked from what I've just heard. We have about 3 really solid tracks that warrant a 4-4.5 rating, followed by about 5 tracks of cheesy un-cohesiveness and filler. I actually agree with Willies rating KJ. If the album were as good as those 3 solid tracks I would without a doubt 4.5 this. Good tracks being:

The Call
The Difference is Human
Triumph of Irreality

TheNotrap
June 21st 2012

"...should be regarded as a manual in properly-done progressive metal for our era."
Humm, this sounds great man, will check it asap. Have a pos.

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

SgtPepper
June 21st 2012

You've convinced me to check this out. I do love my servings of Prog.
good stuff. POS'd!

TheNotrap
June 21st 2012

All a Man Can Do is such an awesome song. Very enjoyable debut.

June 21st 2012

@Capt, I suppose this is the beauty of music- we all have our opinions.

June 21st 2012

True my tastes are very particular but I do respect yours as well brother. :]

MO
June 21st 2012

good review man, but I heard this wasn't too great, will check it