For Today
Immortal

2.0
poor

by G.M.B. USER (18 Reviews)
June 21st, 2012 | 8 replies

Review Summary: In their fourth full-length, For Today do what they've already done, and remove all the interesting parts.

For Today have never been a group with the goal of turning heads with originality, that much is obvious. Their music has always been extremely formulaic metalcore, with very simplistic song structures and riddled with standard, run-of-the-mill breakdowns. But until now, it had worked out rather well for them; they were at least fun to listen to. Ekklesia had some fairly interesting drumming, Portraits showed off some great guitar work, and vocalist Mattie Montgomery proved himself one of the most apt vocalists in the genre on Breaker.

But with their fourth full-length outing, For Today have lost any allure they might have had. Quite frankly, Immortal is boring, uninspired, and gimmicky metalcore. The outstanding drum work is all but gone, the captivating guitar noodling has vanished, and Matty seldom departs from a boring mid-range scream. From beginning to end, the album absolutely reeks of mediocrity and laziness.

The album opens with your everyday intro-buildup song, which leads into the first single "Fearless." Almost right from the start, the bass drop driven breakdowns are thrown at you and with the exception of the interlude, they never really end. The songs all bleed together and become just an endless spree of boring chug-chug verses and uninspired breakdowns with painful Christ-fearing lyrics over-top of it all, with the very occasional interesting riff thrown in. Not even guest appearances from Sonny Sandoval and Jake Luhrs can save Immortal from being anything less than a snooze fest.

There are, however, a few moments that shine through the breakdown-plagued mess. At about halfway through the track "Stand Defiant" there's about twenty seconds of great guitar riffing and interesting drum fills. It isn't long though before even that is cut short by yet another generic breakdown. Also of note is the song "Under God," which is by and far the standout track. While still pockmarked by those bastard brodowns, it features some of the good riffs reminiscent of Portraits and some blood-curdling vocals from Tommy Green of Sleeping Giant.

In short, Immortal is just another poorly executed, painfully generic metalcore album from a group that is destined to wallow in their own mediocrity.

Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulThe Dear Hunter The Color Spectrum Live
Made In Heights APORIA: IN THESE STREETSJacco Gardner Cabinet of Curiosities
The Angels of Light We Are HimLindsey Stirling Lindsey Stirling
3.3
DragonHeartstring (4)
A very hard hitting dose of metalcore that is not overly original but is heavy as hell and has some ...

TBliss2 (1.5)
‘Immortal’ is an absolute chore to get through, and it is difficult to see how anyone could tole...

AtBRareform (3.5)
"So I laid down my life for the world to see. There was only one who could break the chains that bou...

Storm In A Teacup
June 20th 2012

Good review. Couple songs off this aren't bad.

YourDarkAffected

Digging: Carbon Based Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers

JAXETA

summary is 100%

TylerOnFire

KSK1
June 20th 2012

Only thing worth a damn on this is Jake's guest spot. Other than that I pretty miuch agree that it's a breakdown ridden mess.

ILJ
June 20th 2012

"I agree with this review for the most part, but I wouldn't say that the album is uninspired. Generic, maybe, but they still pretty heavily lay down their beliefs and Immortal isn't any lesser in that aspect than their previous three LPs. Good review nonetheless."

I think maybe uninspired wasn't the word I was looking for, they definitely have inspiration.

"They dont care if their music is generic or not. All they care about is spreading the name of Jesus to the lost. However, I agree with the review completely."

And I respect that completely. I can't fault the band for being passionate about it, but I kinda wish that, just for one song, they would do something a little different lyrically. I'm fine with the Christ loving lyrics but it's gotten tiring after four albums.

And who negged me? I would like to know what you didn't like about the review so I can do it better next time.

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

AtBRareform
June 23rd 2012

I definitely liked Immortal, but I also see where you're coming from here. I pos'd.

alchemistALX1
June 26th 2012

One of those albums where if you want to like it, you take a few songs to not get bored lol