Alexisonfire
Dog's Blood

good

by Ecnalzen USER (17 Reviews)
June 20th, 2012 | 7 replies | 926 views

Review Summary: Quite possibly the last thing we will ever hear from Alexisonfire, which is unfortunately not their best work.

Being an EP and only being 4 tracks, the release is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I'm not going to lie, my favorite part of Alexisonfire is Dallas Green's vocals. He is one of the best singers I have ever heard in a rock band setting in the last decade or so. And unfortunately, he has pretty much been neutered from this release, except for the end of "Dog's Blood" (Track 1). I don't know why, but it's very centered on George's vocals. George goes back to his screaming vocals, unlike the last release (Old Crows/Young Cardinals) where he used a more raspy singing voice (if you can call it a singing voice, that is...) He doesn't drop the vocals from Old Crows, though. It's kind of a cool mix between the two. I realize that it was supposed to be an experimental album, but the fact that it came out on the heels of their breakup has left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

The songs are still good. "Dog's Blood" is more along the lines of their hardcore roots (Crisis and Watch Out!) with a more experimental side that has a lot of instrumental breaks. The song is fairly long, hitting in at close to 6 minutes. It doesn't really drag and has a nice bridge where Dallas plays a small part and graces us with his singing voice. Then he and George go back and forth with screaming and singing just like the good old days. The song itself reminded me a little of "Accidents" off of Watch Out!, but more expanded. "Grey" is a slower song that plays out nicely. Think along the lines of "Rough Hands" and "The Northern." "Black as Jet" is a very upbeat song that drops the vocals around the 1:30 mark and then proceeds to play out until nicely fading into the excellent instrumental track, "Vex."

To be honest, "Vex" (the instrumental track) is my favorite. It's a mid-tempo track with some really nice lead guitar parts that surprisingly doesn't wear out its welcome, clocking in at 6 minutes. It's definitely something new for the guys. I would have loved to have seen what the next full length album would have been, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Sad day. Alexisonfire is one of my favorite bands, doing the whole melodic hardcore and punk thing better than most, and I am supremely bummed out that I will probably not to enjoy new music from them in the future.

Also, anyone that's a fan of Green's vocals like me might want to check out City and Colour. The only resemblance to Alexisonfire is his singing voice, but it is damn good music, especially the last album, Little Hell.

City and Colour The Hurry And The HarmTrucker Diablo Songs of Iron
Vocal Few Tall TreesThe Computers Love Triangles Hate Squares
Halifax The Inevitability of a Strange WorldAnberlin Vital
Jonathan ONeal (3.5)
Dogs Blood washes away Old Crows and Young Cardinals, Watch Out! ...Not Really, but it is good....

David Driver (1)
About as disturbing and revolting as actual dog's blood....

Pistol Pete (4)
Dog's Blood actually tastes okay, who would've known?...

Adabelle
June 20th 2012

At least it was an improvement on OC/YC, which, on reflection, wasn't as bad as I initially thought anyway

Spec
June 20th 2012

Too bad the band is dead.

ConcubinaryCode

2017 Comments

i hated this.

Aids
June 20th 2012

ok review. i disagree about the album suffering from having less dallas and more george but i fucking love george. and some of the best parts of this EP have no vox at all.

anyway, the EP was a huge step in the right direction after Old Crows, Young Cardinals and if they hadn't split I have a sneaky feeling their next LP would have been something special. ...oh well

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

Storm In A Teacup
June 21st 2012

RIP I really enjoy all four songs and it's nothing like any other album from them so at least we got a taste of the direction they were headed in before they broke up.

I know there are a bunch of unreleased demos of stuff they worked on so I've expecting/hoping for some kind of release.

Ecnalzen
June 22nd 2012

Dallas just has such an amazing singing voice. I do like George's voice, it is very unique. My favorite thing they do vocal wise is when the weave in and out and sometimes overlap each others singing. It just seemed a little bland to me when Dallas took a back seat.

Digging: O.C. and Apollo Brown - Trophies

Storm In A Teacup
June 22nd 2012

I listened to this like five times before I realized there's an instrumental. All four songs just flow

flow