Sunpocrisy
Samaroid Dioramas

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
June 19th, 2012 | 100 replies

Review Summary: An impressive work of progressive metal/rock focusing on themes of human degradation and vanities.

“We are the end of ourselves, we ignore the evidence that nothing will preserve the Earth from the collapse when you will become exactly as the ash you trample”

Now those above mentioned lyrics are interesting and thought provoking but is the music good? Yes!...Why? Well, Sunpocrisy utilize tried and proven effective musical techniques in the vein of Tool, Meshuggah, The Ocean, and Cult of Luna. Think of the creative drumming, soft falsetto vocals, and building reverb/delayed guitars of Tool; The odd timed rhythms, [which are used sparingly] death style vocals[similar but less aggressive], and the compelling energy of Meshuggah; and the post/rock serenities of Cult of Luna.

These characteristics sum up Sunpocrisy’s sound but it’s important to realize that they add a bit of originality with their progressive tendencies that occasionally push the boundaries of these counterparts; most notably on “? – Phi” where drummer Carlo Giulini can be heard work his high hat in highly creative levels fused with catchy fills and cymbal clashes that really lay nice atmosphere over the guitars. During the mid-section of this same track, bassist Gabriele Zampieri throws some nice obscure bass licks over a softened atmosphere which sounds perfect as well as different than anything Tool has ever done. In fact, this whole track is a major standout on “Samaroid Dioramas” which perfectly utilizes the power of dynamics that build and drop in both forced-unexpected moments as well as unforced situations. Almost every track here within uses the power of dynamics with great builds and drops where heavier moments are synced with death style vocals and the softer passages fancy the aforementioned falsetto vocal techniques, high reminiscent of Maynard James Keenan’s approach.

The albums length and arrangement is appropriate. In chronological order, the opening starts with ambient fuzz followed by two epic tracks, then a soft/short post-“rockesq “interlude into the second half which starts with another ambient fortified prelude followed by the three track second half which subsequently grows in greater lengths after each successive track. Totaling with a run time of about 50 minutes, “Samaroid Dioramas” uses every moment to impress the impact of its desire upon its listeners with well thought out, purposeful arrangements with complementing lyrics. During heavy moments you may hear lyrics such as “separate the earth’s crust from the element that burns inward”, and softer moments may utter “facing gloom done by shadows while your seeds are floating into another world. Regardless of the lyrical section the music almost always complements the noted moods. While the second if extremely solid as well as the first half, neither section chooses to rise extremely above the other; rather, each section plays off a fairly even plain.While Sunpocrisy's obvious influences are manifest, it's important to note that they fancy the more serene side of music rather than the boistrous and clamorous styles, even during heavier moments of distortion and multi layered reverb effects; mainly in the vain of Isis.

Sunpocrisy have done a fine job in introducing their first LP to the world of music listeners with excellent musicianship, a thought provoking lyrical album, and an impressing release that truly holds its weight against its contemporaries as well as being a solid addition to the best releases of 2012 so far. If you're a fan of the above mentioned bands and/or progressive metal in general, with good songwriting, than this is the album you’ve been looking for.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

good album

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

June 19th 2012

haha yeah the name isn't too crazy or inspiring but the music is good

do you like any of the rec'd bands?

KILL7

is it hevy

June 19th 2012

yeah Kill there are plenty of heavy moments. Listen to the tracks "Apophenia" and "Samaroid" if you want to hear some of the heaviest moments on this

June 19th 2012

"yes i like all of the rec'd bands to different degrees"

same here, I felt this album took the best moments and formulas of each of those bands and successfully made them their own. I'd recommend you check this out papas, also this album is best listened to as a whole btw

DurzoBlint
June 19th 2012

original album art. And the name sucks just as bad.

But I will at least give it a chance despite those two atrocities.

June 19th 2012

I never judge a book by its cover. Although the band name is meh, the cover isn't that bad imo, but it is rather cliche for this type of music.

Manic_
June 19th 2012

usually i find post-metal vapid but this is sounding real good

Havey

ugh hate the artwork

DurzoBlint
June 19th 2012

on my computer to something at least half decent...

taylormemer

MO
June 19th 2012

I've heard good things about this band.

June 19th 2012

"usually i find post-metal vapid but this is sounding real good"

finally some feedback on the actual music. awesome to hear bro

"Its actually pretty good what I have heard so far. But really I am going to have to rename these guys
on my computer to something at least half decent... "

haha, whatever works man. Glad you're liking the music tho

"Nothing utilises the triangle on its cover better than DSOTM. And yeah, band name is lol. Might check this anyway"

this is true. However when looking through the lyrical content the cover kinda makes sense, the triangle/pyramid is relative to the track "Trismegistus" which comes form the term "Hermes Trismegistus" which is a name variously ascribed by Neoplatonists and others to an Egyptian priest or to the Egyptian god Thoth... The natural elements are attributed to the lyrics of man's global degredation but I agree the art could have been much more meaningful, rather than typical literal expected cliches.

Shuyin
June 19th 2012

this needed a review, amazing album. have a pos, man m/

Digging: Django Reinhardt - Djangology

June 19th 2012

"I've heard good things about this band."

warranted indeed

@ Shuyin - agreed, it was a solid find amongst others as of late. I've been listening to it for about 3 weeks now and for some reason as of today I felt compelled to write up a review for it. They're a relatively new band and could use some sput attention.

Shuyin
June 19th 2012

yea, they seem to be trying to do something new and its a damn good debut album imo, we need fresh bands like this.

i wonder how much they can improve from now.

wacknizzle
June 19th 2012

Good review. The album cover and band name are deceiving, this is actually really good so far. Your recs were very accurate as well, nice job.

Digging: Torch Runner - Endless Nothing

scissorlocked

nice review man

June 19th 2012

Worst band name ever. (2)

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds