Black Clouds
Everything Is Not Going To Be OK

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
June 19th, 2012 | 35 replies | 3,107 views

Black Clouds does well in creating a focused mood of effective post-rock with feelings of ambience and psychedelia. From the beginning the listener is subdued by an instant atmosphere reverb laced simple effects that sound like a growling machine-like tiger that carries its progressive nature into slow building guitar effects that aim to detract your mind from its present surroundings. At this same time the drums kick in and you realize the drummer is very capable of creating interesting well fitted patterns that break from the common monotony found in most post-rock acts. After constant moments of psychedelic atmospheres tracks will occasionally break the cycle with poly-rhythmic chants to carry the mood of frosty ambiance. It may even sometimes seem like the album starts off slow and reserved but this is to serve the purpose of Black Clouds goal which is to create a sound that is never forced. There is effective amount of variance on each track where “Patheons” feels like clean sections of In Flames “Moonshield” and “Parallels” contains the more traditional post rock sounds of building bass kick repetitions over simultaneous chord rhythms. Regardless of musical technique the drummer always adds a bit of a spark to each moment and truly carries forward momentum of the album. Even the guitar harmonies can break out of the post-rock mold of ambient delayed effects with odd timed segments that sound reminiscent of Tool’s guitarist past works off “Lateralus” fully apparent on “Divide”. One of my favorite tracks, “In the Ether”, contains some of the most rewarding progressive moments with a memorable catchy riff that again sounds like previous works off Tool’s catalogue. The drums on this same track are so perfect you don’t even notice them from time to time as they so fuse flawlessly as one being with the backgrounds moving guitar textures. The latter part of the song sounds very similar to the accomplished works of post-rock band Jakob, album being “Solace”. The varience off “Everything Is not Going to be Alright” is what really made this album work for me as I sometimes can’t stand the level of boring post-rock acts around today.

Now will you feel like everything is not going to be alright after listening to this album? Probably not since the chilly theme isn’t always consistent as there are a few tracks that tend to get a little happy, but maybe Black Clouds meant this album to give off a glimmer of hope. But I didn’t find that to be the case when the bold closer for the first time includes snippets at the end of man speaking grandiose words of condemnation who closes his speech with the album’s title phrase which the band choose to repeat over and over, at least 30-40 times. This repeating fits well over a droning atmosphere that really hits the point of the album home, which I don’t need to repeat again.

If you’re looking post-rock that attempts to be different than its contemporaries with darker atmosphere and solid drumming then this is where you should be looking. Black Clouds shows they are capable and willing to push the genre and may have a bit of a ways to go but any fan of darker post-rock outfits should be eager to see what these guys do next.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

June 18th 2012

Contender for top list's of 2012.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

MO

album rules

June 18th 2012

Thanks Snide. Sorry I haven't check you latest review yet. It's so long bro and the album isn't really my thing but I still need to get around to it.

Damn skippy MO

Maniac!

album rules [2]

June 18th 2012

There's some obvious grammar errors in this review which I'll try to fix later tonight if I have time.

Ignimbrite
June 18th 2012

Awesome review, awesome album.

June 18th 2012

Thanks bro it is and props to you for bringing this to Sputs attention.

SgtPepper
June 18th 2012

Yeah, really good review. If Captain recs them, then you know its good.
POS'd.

June 18th 2012

Thanks Paper same for you bro!

seedofnothing
June 18th 2012

Solid review. Pos. I've enjoyed what I've heard so far by these guys. You hit the points very well.

KjSwantko
June 18th 2012

Cool review Capt; gonna check this one out.

June 19th 2012

Thanks bros. not sure how much you're into post-rock KJ but I was attached to this due to the levels of cold atmospheres and darkened moods, kinda redundant but I see them separately.

KjSwantko
June 19th 2012

I'm not into post-rock at all, but the above-mentioned traits makes me interested! Pos'd by the way.

Cool thanks bro

Yeah I'm the same. In fact, I can't stand most post rock. It's too samey and boring and there are only a few select albums that I crave coming back to; this ofcourse being one of them.

Eclecticist

FUCK YES BRO

this album is easily one of the best AOTYs

June 19th 2012

Yeah man it was a pleasant surprise, def has the potential for a top ten spot depending on what else I hear for this year.

evilford

20033 Comments

good album, nice review

are the sound clips used in the last track from a movie or something? just got curious about that.

July 26th 2012

Thanks bro. I'm not sure about the clips, haven't figured that out yet. My first thought is that they made it themselves but maybe you're right.

evilford

20033 Comments

every time I get interested in sound clips and I try to look them up they end up being samples from a movie or something. usually, at least. just was curious what movie that would be from lol

July 26th 2012

I'm sure the info is out there but I may be a bit lazy or a tad less intrigued than you to look it up but maybe i will if my interest's grow more for it.