Chelsea Grin
Evolve

1.5
very poor

by suppatime USER (1 Reviews)
June 19th, 2012 | 46 replies | 4,223 views

Review Summary: Chelsea Grin is going nowhere fast and Evolve proves it.

Chelsea Grin is going nowhere fast and Evolve proves it. Having never actually listened to Chelsea Grin, I came into this album with a semi-open mind. I listen to a small bit of “core” music so I was not going to hate it for its genre, but Evolve is quite simply poop on display. It takes a lot for a band to go from simply being run-of-the-mill to actually becoming a bad band. Chelsea Grin is a bad band.

“The Second Coming” starts out with a generic string section with electronics in the pursuit of an “epic” opening. It ends up sounding like a very poor Born of Osiris rip-off, which is quite funny since their former guitarist, Jason Richardson, is now in Chelsea Grin. The album is full of chugs and breakdowns with minimal soloing, which is sad because Jason is quite good at it. Most of this EP sounds like the same song except for the last track, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” This track is probably the best on the album, but that still does not say much. The same problems which ruin the rest of the album also plague this one. It also ends up sounding like a Born of Osiris rip-off with its electronics and small solo section.

Jason adds nothing interesting to the mix which is disappointing. He never really deviates from chugging except for the occasional sweep. The bass is mostly inaudible except for two small two second fills, and the drums do nothing interesting except for a military drum beat in the last song. Their vocalist is absolutely horrid, and he is the primary reason why this band is not good. His screams are absolutely atrocious. His tone and infliction on them are some of the worst I’ve heard. He is very hard to understand, but perhaps that is not a bad thing since his lyrics are so bad. His cleans are nothing to write home about either because they are clearly the work of the studio.

Overall, this EP is abysmal. It’s worse than generic, and it’s just an unpleasing listen. Chelsea Grin is going nowhere and I don’t see them going anywhere as long as they continue with this.

good
TacosIsMetal45 (3)
A surprising turn for what was a pretty generic Deathcore band. Still could use some improvements....

whatshisname (2)
Even with the talent of Jason Richardson, Chelsea Grin falls into a category of boring mediocrity al...

WillLikesMetal (2.5)
Chelsea Grin have made an obvious change in direction, but which direction are they headed?...

Aidan Huddleston (3.5)
A nice change in direction, Short but sweet....

June 18th 2012

I love ironic album titles

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Mickeymau5
June 18th 2012

Album rules; better than anything they have done before

ILJ
June 18th 2012

Review isn't bad for a first. It's pretty short, but so is the EP.

In the future, just try to expand your points some more, use specific examples from songs, talk more about why the lyrics are so bad, for example.

Correct rating is correct.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

suppatime
June 19th 2012

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah I felt like I could've written more so I guess I should have haha

macadoolahicky

Hate this band

InvertTheInverted
June 19th 2012

Ugh. They aren't good at all.

Durrzo
June 19th 2012

"Lilith is a decent track"

I don't even... Anyway, like others are saying, this review is a little short, but it's solid. Your rating is spot on, this band is unbelievably bad.

gig20015
June 19th 2012

I think the guitar playing is better, the songs are more well written, and Alex has varied his voice even more than before!

Devastator
June 19th 2012

The vocalist is god awful. The only redeeming thing is the leads and that can only entertain you for so long.

Digging: Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Shredzilla
June 19th 2012

Seriously don't know what the FUCK Jason was high on when he decided to waste his talent and join this turd of a band.

TBliss2
June 19th 2012

'Jason adds nothing interesting to the mix which is disappointing. He never really deviates from chugging except for the occasional sweep.'

June 19th 2012

All songs blow as hard as each other, albeit certain parts.

MichaelSnoxall
June 19th 2012

"Whether you enjoy the ep or not, its pretty clear that Jason has added a hell of alot here."

Yeah, he has added a lot. Those contributions just aren't very good.

June 19th 2012

Moving from BoO to this shitheap of a band was the worst decision ever.

suppatime
June 19th 2012

I mean Jason does add to the songs to make them better but they're not great additions. They just don't hold my interest
or carry the songs along in ways I know he's capable of doing.

IdiotequeCigar
June 19th 2012

This album would have been amazing if it had been released by a decent band and was rewritten from scratch
Am I right, or do I actually need to listen to it?

lospokey

Mickeymau5
June 19th 2012

"Moving from BoO to this shitheap of a band was the worst decision ever."

He was kicked out.

TBliss2
June 19th 2012

'The fact that this band is allowed to release albums speaks volumes about the state of "metal" right now.'

?

June 19th 2012

He still moved on to this band.