Sabaton
Carolus Rex

by King Henry VIII USER (62 Reviews)
June 15th, 2012 | 19 replies | 7,004 views

Review Summary: "This can't be Sabaton! is it?? Why aren't there WWII based lyrics? Those sellouts!"

Keep in mind that the summary was just a joke.

For the people who don’t know about Sabaton. They’re a power metal outfit that hails from Sweden, and have a soaring popularity within the genre of power metal with a renowned style that they can call their own. What I mean is that they’re very unique within the genre by defying the clichés of dragon slaying lyrics with their replacement of actual historical based lyrics, mainly being about WWII. They also deny the use of high pitched vocals and center around more of a baritone range rather than a tenor range, and that mainly has to do with the actual vocalist’s skill as a singer. I’m not saying he’s a bad singer; he’s far from it and is a worthy highlight within the genre itself. This time around Sabaton shifts gears from their excessive admiration of WWII towards something based on their own country’s history of the once great Swedish Empire from start to finish in Carolus Rex. Basically the lyrics mainly focus on highlights of the Swedish Empire’s main historical events, such as how great Gustavus Adolphus was, the crowning of other successors of the Empire, along with other major battles, and the downfall of the Empire itself.

After listening to the short little intro, the album soon bursts into the powerful starter of “The Lion from the North”, which showcases some great vocal arrangements with a stellar guitar solo followed by an electric keyboard solo as well; a worthy song indeed. Once the third song comes in (but really it’s the second song) the listener should realize that vocalist Joakim Brodén, starts singing in his native tongue of Swedish, if not we have a problem with your ability to sense your surroundings. Generally speaking, it’s quite refreshing to hear a band of their popularity to be singing in their own native language - it adds character, overall vibe, and different musical arrangements that one wouldn’t hear if it were in English (basically it deals with the rhythmic flow of the lyrics being in the language it’s in). The Swedish lyrics also appear in quite a few more songs such as “Poltava”, which also runs in the same vein as “The Lion from the North” by being an upbeat song with an enjoyable keyboard solo. While the self-titled track is purely epic as a whole and worth the listen (as the rest of the album is), the entire flow of the music seems to be in the general formula Sabaton incorporates: epic verse – epic chorus - decent/enjoyable solo – epic steroids injected into the music, however you describe the sound you have to include the word epic within it. What I’m trying to say, is that Sabaton has always put off that epic vibe practically in every single song in their entire career, and Carolus Rex only adds to the ongoing list of epic songs they have.

Like I was saying earlier about their lyrical theme being about history and not dragon slaying, they somehow manage to keep history geeks like me entertained. While the album isn’t re-shaping the power metal genre; Sabaton still shows the world that they are still coming up with fresh ideas that center around world history, and that means they’ll have endless inspiration of themes for upcoming albums. The best part of Carolus Rex is that it isn’t overly cheesy, and maintains consistency. While the album itself can’t compete to the other metal releases in 2012, it sure does hold its own by being a solid release none the less. Yet, the formula Sabaton has been following in their music writing during their entire career will soon dry up if they don’t re-invent their sound in upcoming future albums.

Note: There is a Swedish version of the album where every single song is sung in Swedish, while the International Release has a mix of English and Swedish vocals, mainly English. The same rules apply with the English version as the International version does, except it includes a bonus track entitled “In the Army Now”.

Powerwolf Preachers of the NightDark Tranquillity Construct
Gamma Ray Master of ConfusionStratovarius Nemesis
In the Silence A Fair Dream Gone MadBob Katsionis Rest in Keys

June 15th 2012

I haven't put out a review in a while. I just hope this doesn't get bumped down by the onslaught of the Rush Crusade of pointless reviews.

FilthyBorgir

nice review.

thanks dude.

Venpts16
June 15th 2012

I was actually thinking about reviewing this a few days back, but I'm glad it got an awesome review (especially since I'm not really big on Sabaton)! Pos'd.

June 15th 2012

Yeah I'm not usually a huge fan of Sabaton either, but they've always been solid every time I listen to their albums. I was part way thinking of giving it a 3/good review, but I thought about it for a little bit. And thought it would be best to give it a positive feed back, because it's not that bad of an album.

Venpts16
June 15th 2012

True. They do provide some pretty good songs (I particularly enjoyed Nuclear Attack from Attero Dominatus).

June 15th 2012

"They also deny the use of high pitched vocals and center around more of a baritone range rather than a tenor range"

I may like this as sometimes the main off-putting factor for pm for me are those cheesy high pitched vocals.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

June 15th 2012

if you like this song, then I recommend you check it out.

June 15th 2012

Good Review, may have to check this out.

"if not we have a problem with your ability to sense your surroundings"

thought the review could have done without this comment, it's almost demeaning.

June 15th 2012

Oh, that's just one of my little jokes I like to throw in my reviews. Not sure if you remember any of the others in my other reviews. I do know my Sonata review has quite a few of some of my dry jokes.

TheNotrap
June 15th 2012

Album deserves a higher rating.

METALFACE666

review suck dicks

June 15th 2012

wtf man? I gave it a positive review.

And if you think the review "sucks dick" then you didn't even read the review.

Poet
June 16th 2012

Should have just released the album in Swedish because those songs are better.

Review was good but this made me lol. Being someone who fully supports power metal, the entire genre is cheesy and is almost impossible to not be.

ThrashTillDeath94
June 16th 2012

Quality review, regardless of your opinion on the material. Pos'd

Digging: Opeth - Still Life

June 16th 2012

Well, thanks for the positive feed back.

bozzabo
June 29th 2012

I wasn't familiar to Sabaton but I've just read an interview about this album in:
and it made me become very interested in the band.
It sounds like a perfect job from the Swedes.

June 29th 2012

then go check it out if it sparks your interest.

TheFlightOfTheNazgul
February 24th 2013

Too much epicness here...
Ruina Imperii is so great even if I don't understand a word...
Gott mis Uns also rules..
Waiting for them in Greece in a couple of weeks...