Megadeth
Rust in Peace

by Poop Boy USER (3 Reviews)
January 27th, 2006 | 19 replies | 6,075 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Thrash has came a long way, from the vibrant ways of the 80s to itís death in the 90s, the most awkward thing is that most thrash bands are still around today (the big four are all still around) but if I had to pick my favourite record from the start of the end then it would be the thrash classic Rust In Peace which was less thrash in a way. The solos were still blistering (literally), the riffs full of muting goodness and it still had the trademark sound but something was missing and I felt it was that the raw production and treble tones were vanished. All the thrash bands suffered this around this time but though Megadeth have went off their roots, I still like them what ever they do. They are my favourite band but enough rambling, onto some history (written by me with no sources)

Back in the eighties, Dave Mustaine was a young angry man who wanted to play faster than his idols so one day he auditioned for a small local band to jam with. This band was no other than Metallica. Dave Mustaine was later kicked out for kicking James Hetfieldís dog, Dave pleaded to get back in and he got his second chance but it ran dry quite quick and Dave was kicked out again for his violent behaviour due to excess drug abuse. He sworn to get revenge on them and set out to get his own band, he pulled in a newbie bassist and two jazz players called Gar Samuelson and Chris Poland, Dave being a crazy guy made two albums with them and they got chucked out. Dave brought in two new players by the names of Chuck Behler and Jeff Young, that was probably Megadethís weakest line-up. After that period, Dave sobered up and gathered Nick Menza and Marty friedman into the band, they were at their peak with Rust In Peace. A short biography just to play catch-up with the review =)

What I Liked About The Album:

¶¶-- No one can complain about the guitar work at all as you can see the amount of hard work that it took to plan out the solos. Marty is an excellent guitarist, his solos are fast and technical and sometimes it can be nearly impossible to do. Trust me, Iíve been there =) The riffs are blinding with some thought out more than others with some of them figured out and not just pot-luck (Holy Wars, Hangar 18) but even the more power-chord oriented songs still have kick-erse riffs (Take No Prisoners) Dave Mustaine is the best in the riff department while Marty takes care of all the solos. The best guitar song on this album hands-down is Hangar 18 which is a solo battle between Dave and Marty.

¶¶-- The lyrics have improved greatly, Holy WarsÖThe Punishment Due has one of my favourite lines in it when Dave sings, ďNext thing you know, they take my thoughts away" and the lyrics are about killing for religion while Hangar 18 is about what is out there (by out there I mean aliens) Dawn Patrolís lyrics just creep me out though sometimes. The lyrics actually have a meaning which isnít stuck behind metaphors.

¶¶-- The album flows well after each track since the best songs are at the start and at the end then it doesnít really affect the rating that the bad songs are in the middle. Lucretia follows Tornado Of Souls and the songs have a similar guitar intro so they flow together. The two singles are paired together (Holy Wars and Hangar 18) and the average songs are paired together as well (Poison Was The Cure, Five Magics) The flow is important to me as the previous album from this, So Far, So Good, So What! didnít flow that well IMO.

¶¶-- The album is something you can stamp classic on to. All the songs are great, even the average ones and Dawn Patrol is something I can dig. The band overall improved from their last albums and they have stronger members this time around (Jeff Young was a horrible guitarist) All the band members play their part in the music and the album wouldnít work without the line-up that is featured on the album (anyone heard the Holy Wars demo with Chris Poland on it?)

What I Didnít Like About The Album:

¶¶-- Every album has flaws and this album is no exception, my main gripe about the album is that sometimes they show off and there always has to be some fast as lightning solo in every song when they could work on their song writing skills to make better songs than taking all the time to write long complicated solos that are impossible to play (controversial statement I know)

¶¶-- Poison Is The Cure is only 2:56 and Dawn Patrol is 1:51 and there is only nine tracks which make the album a bit shorter and brings down the fact I paid £15 for it but apart from that there is no problem with the album that I could think of.

Summary:
Megadeth are excellent at making songs, they know how to write and how to connect with metal fans, this album is no exception. It is a thrash classic which is enjoyed by all metal fans though not a lot of people that is not into the genre would like it. The musicians are incredible and the album is a worthy purchase.

Instruments: 10/10
Lyrics: 7/10
Replay-value: 9/10

Within the genre: 5/5
Outside the genre: 3/5

4.6

Electric City
January 27th 2006

There's like a megadeth review every two seconds on this site, and i STILL have not heard a damn thing by them.

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

Pinball Map
January 27th 2006

I don't think you would like them considering you are a pop-punk fan.

Aakon_Keetreh

You never know

Electric City
January 27th 2006

not so my friend. While my "genre" is pop puk according to my profile, thats only because i spent a lot of time doing green day things. Im far more into alt rock, indie, and grunge. Green Day is the only pop punk band i like.

And I like to turn up the SOAD every once in a while.

Bfhurricane
January 27th 2006

This album is great! Theres enough reviews for it already, the songs arent covered in detail but still a pretty good review. This album is up there in my favorite thrash stuff i like it a lot

Thor
January 27th 2006

While I am not huge on Megadeth, I still find this album to be quite enjoyable. Holy Wars is a very good song.

good review, too.

Aakon_Keetreh
January 27th 2006

people need to stop reviewing megadeth

there is so many reviews

Dethtrasher
February 3rd 2006

Good job on this one!
And I agree with Destined, there is to many Megadeth reviews here. I think it would be better if someone could review an another band or rare albums and stuff like that.

Trev
February 19th 2006

"Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense."

Very well reviewed. Megadeth at their very finest, IMO.This Message Edited On 02.19.06

zippy_66
April 23rd 2006

""¶¶-- Daveís solos are annoying and are just there sometimes to feed Daveís ego. He does this annoying thing where he jams notes together and it makes it sound horrible. Marty should just do all the leads and Dave should be left to making the riffs as thatís what heís good at apparently. Dave just canít solo, I donít know why he canít see that.""
Well first off, before you even saythat dave is a bad guitarist, you need to know who the composed the solos on the album.
Extract off of www.megadeth.com for this album:
All songs composed by Dave Mustaine,
except "Lucretia", "Tornado Of Souls" and "Dawn Patrol"
composed by Dave Mustaine and David Ellefson.

Looks like Dave composed all the solos for this whole album, unless David secretly knows Lead guitar. But to make an ending short, Dave wrote the solos that Marty is playing.
OK
Best Thrash Albums of ALL TIME:
1. Metallica - Master of Puppets
2. Megadeth - Rust in Piece
OMFG this is such a good ass album!This Message Edited On 04.23.06

kyall_maiden666
April 24th 2006

megadeth, maiden and slipknot 4 life!!!

LifeInABox
November 11th 2006

ok does anyone besides me find hanger 18 a bit too soft fo their style?

LifeInABox
November 11th 2006

^^Reign in Blood has a place up there before Megadeth IMO

2? fail

Digging: David Axelrod - Song of Innocence

Douchebag
March 18th 2009

"megadeth, maiden and slipknot 4 life!!!"

One of these is not like the other one!

Lunarfall