Angra
Aqua

good

by KJ USER (32 Reviews)
June 13th, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,501 views

Review Summary: The sound of a highly-gifted band doing too much aimless wandering.

There is a small portion of musicians/bands who can put out a good record even when they’re without inspiration; Angra is one of those bands. Between the guitar playing of Rafael Bittencourt & Kiko Loureiro and the skillful vocals of Eduardo Falaschi, Angra has enough talent to make nearly anyone a bit envious. 2004’s Temple of Shadows is regarded as an exemplar of properly done power metal; power metal that is mature, dynamic, captivating, and having minimal “cheese.” Frankly, it put all the great qualities of the genre on display for listeners in respect-demanding fashion.

Seven years and a few albums later, Angra released Aqua which is but a marginally-reminiscent work of what the group has done in prior times. The songwriting is mostly bland, failing to leave any long-lasting impression; this is somewhat due to the fact the group delved more into a progressive style featuring unique and unpredictable song structures. However, when the songs fail to climax or “take the reader somewhere“ per se, it becomes tiresome. In fact, there was no track that jumped out as a masterpiece; all songs hovered in the realm of being “good” or “acceptable.” For a band as capable as Angra, operating at “good” is a disappointment.

This is not to say Aqua doesn’t have its moments, because it does. Bittencourt and Loureiro’s soloing hasn’t diminished in quality at all as they are still more than willing to show off their chops. “Lease of Life” and “The Rage of the Waters” are prime examples of the duo’s virtuosic abilities (Also, I do recommend Loureiro’s instrumental album Universo Inverso if you’re into Jazz fusion). Never the less, while Angra never truly found their stride with Aqua, it’s still worth a listen. Whereas they used to sound like a band on a mission driving towards a destination, now they sound like they hopped in the car for a road trip to wherever they end up. As a whole, Aqua appears to be geared less towards power metal than earlier releases, but I suspect the progmasters out there may find the new direction appealing.

3/5

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)

Sup fellas

seedofnothing
June 13th 2012

dude sup, i have all their early albums, auto pos

June 13th 2012

Thanks. Yeah they have some stuff that rules ultra hard, Seed. Temple of Shadows got a 5 from yours truly! This is the only album I'm not feelin' much.

sounds hevy

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

June 13th 2012

brootal, yea don't listen to it if the kids are around.

seedofnothing

more a fan of Angel's Cry and Holy Land but TOS is solid too

June 13th 2012

Word; the song Angel's Cry was what got me into these guys many some years ago m/

June 13th 2012

cool review, pos bro, i agree with the rating and yeah earlier stuff is best

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Dreamflight

spot on review dude.

Srsly wtf happened to this band after ToS? Almah's last album was so much better than this or even Aurora Consurgens.

June 13th 2012

Seriously, they dropped off hard. Anyway, I'm jammin Hunters and Prey right now for the first time and it is an awesome EP. Making this seem even worse now!

TheNotrap
June 13th 2012

These guys never impressed me.

Nice review KJ, have a pos.

jopower
June 13th 2012

Temple of Shadows is a really good album, but I haven't heard much else by this band.

kingsoby1
June 13th 2012

"Don't listen to w kids around"

I hate having my 2 yr old dictate my vinyl selection @ home

Yazz_Flute
June 13th 2012

I love Temple of Shadows, but I still think it's pretty damn cheesy.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

June 13th 2012

ToS is conservative in the cheese compared to the majority of the genre

FictionalFlames
June 14th 2012

Surprised this didn't have a review until now.

Da11thMytrillSphere
June 14th 2012

I'm fan of Temple of the shadows but I've never checked this one, I should listen a couple of songs here

June 14th 2012

^ its worth a listen, maybe two, but not much beyond that tbh

Mookle
October 27th 2012

I like the softer tone of this album, after listening to so much metal, I grew a little tired of the genre, and stepping outside of it a little is a nice refresher.

linguist2011
January 30th 2013

Obviously a more progressive effort than any other albums by the band, Angra's latest album succeeds in most places yet slightly fails in some. Although the guitar solos are admittedly brilliant and sometimes even flying off the richter scale, they can be at time a bit uninspired, as on 'Weakness of a man'. The vocals are pretty good though, and the songwriting compositions really work well as usual.