Jazzanova
Of All The Things

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
June 12th, 2012 | 11 replies | 1,991 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "...You can't run away from love."

It has become a tradition to talk about the topic of love in music, one of the many inspirations of this art-form. The sounds of instruments decorating familiar tales of heartbreak and love at first sight. Some of us have been fortunate to experience that exuberant sensation of being in love. Living only for those intimate moments when we have our lover in the secluding walls of privacy. And it's only then that we feel comfortable in revealing ourselves to one another, letting the overwhelming sense of sexuality that stirs up inside of us take complete control. Even if the relationship ends in heartbreak, those moments of ecstasy and bliss make the impending emotional devastation… almost worthwhile.

There is an aphrodisiac sensuality that can be felt in the essence of Of All The Things. It's music that celebrates love, with most of the lyrical narratives expressing the different outcomes that can be had when opening your heart to another. The instrumental elements are coated with a romantic ambience, so delicate and embracing, like the euphoria we feel when being held by someone who cares for us. The album opens with "Look What You're Doin' to Me", and immediately it induces a sensual atmosphere decorated with Phonte's confessions of succumbing to his desire for a lover as he proclaims an undying devotion to her. We can really see Jazzanova embracing the soulful influences of Nu Jazz. Similar songs like "Rockin' You Eternally" and "Let Me Show Ya", coalesce the seductive intimacy of R&B music with the sensuous melodic textures that are found in Soul and smooth Jazz.

But as we progress further into Of All The Things, we find the album experimenting with other musical elements. In "So Far from Home", we find Jazzanova transcending into Hip-hop, as Phonte returns to deliver the vocal narratives. And then there is the gloomy, "Little Bird". This song has a very diverse musical landscape. Opening as a sorrowful piano ballad reminiscent of traditional Blues music, before blossoming into a more elevated arrangement with classical aesthetics. The latter section of the album reflects a more evident influence from Jazz. "Morning Scapes" has a very smooth texture, one that alleviates the senses with its calming soundscape. "Gafiera", on the other hand, is much more lively. Expressing a feeling of looseness that encourages the listener to dance to its jubilant melody. In the end, Of All The Things exhibits itself as an exemplary template of Nu Jazz music, providing a truly captivating listening experience delivered by an illustrious group of musicians.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion

Journals

†Pllajë†

New

June 11th 2012

I've really fallen in love with this band.

Deviant.
June 11th 2012

Shame you reviewed their weakest album then ;)

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

June 11th 2012

It didnt have a review, so i took up the opportunity. I really liked this though. Ever since you recommended them, I've been digging their stuff so I thank you.

Keep up the great work.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

June 11th 2012

Cool a Paper review! Nice break huh? I like the sound of this. Gotta check and if Dev says to check some if their other stuff I will too. Pos my brother of Jah.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ZedO
June 12th 2012

finally you are back! have a pos mate, did you watch england vs france? terrible match, imo...

Shame you reviewed their weakest album then

well, what's their strongest album, dev??

Hey, Zed.
Yes I did. At least England didnt lose, thats all I hoped for. Spain tied too. Im hoping for either of them to take it. Who are
you rooting for?

ZedO
June 12th 2012

Who are you rooting for?

1. Germany
2. Italy
3. England

I support those three teams...

Deviant.

In Between, the other album

June 12th 2012

Being that there's only two, yeah.

Pentagon

1998 Comments

In Between is one of my fav albums to blaze to. I should probably check this out