Beau Navire
Lumens

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
June 10th, 2012 | 85 replies | 8,984 views

Review Summary: Be yr idols.

When you’re involved in multiple projects, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make an album without comparisons to everything else you’re involved in. And that stigma is simultaneously completely fair and wildly unfair. It’s fair because, you’re creating something in two different spheres, and so you’re influence is going to draw upon what you’ve created in the past, but it’s unfair because you’re creating this under a new name to escape the pressure of living up to your other reputation. To this point, Beau Navire have done well to avoid any comparisons to their previous/current projects, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook and Loma Prieta. Still, the band seems to be the perfect merging of the previous groups styles. I Wrote Haikus… brought a dreamlike element to screamo while still maintaining its hardcore roots, while Loma Prieta has earned its reputation as screamo’s flagship metallic outfit.

On Life Moves, Beau Navire opted to embrace its dreamlike, disjointed side to wonderful effects, releasing “Fitting Pieces” which is one of the most perfect songs released in recent memories. Hours tightened the sound without completely doing away with the dreamy elements, as exemplified on “Cloud City”, but Lumens finds the band moving further away still towards a more cohesive, metallic sound. Songs are faster, shorter, and more intense than on previous releases, but the band still finds moments to fit in lucid riffs and breaks. Tracks seamlessly transition from beautifully lofty guitar lines to grinding break neck speeds, but are ultimately held together by vocalist, Trei’s frantic shrieks. Each syllable is perfectly placed and each indecipherable word is passionately felt.

Despite the fact that they’ve now written/released over 30 tracks in the past 12 months, under the Beau Navire moniker alone, the songs are still incredibly fresh and brimming with ideas and passion. Given the typical scream band’s shelf life, there’s no telling how long that creativity will remain, or how long Beau Navire will stick together under this title, but for now they’re the kings of a dead genre. Beau Navire are more than just the sum of their parts.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsMerchandise (Strange Songs) In the Dark
Off Minor The Heat Death of the UniverseWomen Public Strain

Life Moves

Hours

June 9th 2012

two reviews in one day.

seeing this band twice tomorrow. super stoked.

June 9th 2012

great album/band. someone needs to add the cover art though. it never works for me for some reason.

Deviant.

Done it

How many times did you try and add it?

Digging: Marcel Dettmann - Fabric 77

June 10th 2012

oh sorry i just meant in general. i tried like three times to add artwork to another album and it never worked. i hadn't actually tried it for this album. thanks though!

Deviant.
June 10th 2012

Yeah, don't attempt it more than once. Artwork will never show up immediately, it goes into an approval queue that the mods check. Constantly uploading the same piece of art is like hitting the button for the lift, it won't make it show up any quicker. In fact it bugs the site out, which is why it ends up as a blank white square

June 10th 2012

oh okay, well thanks for letting me know. because yeah, i just kept getting that white box.

Adabelle

Great review, pos'd.

When I rate this it's gonna upset the graph, what a shame. Oh and cheers for clarifying about the artwork Dev.

Thane
June 10th 2012

nice review, though its "i wrote haikus about cannibalism in your yearbook", not "you".

Adabelle

Also "for now they’re the kings of a dead genre" :| :| :|

June 10th 2012

its "i wrote haikus about cannibalism in your yearbook", not "you".

Whoa, don't know how I fucked that about. Thanks for the catch.

June 10th 2012

Is there another way to edit reviews other than through my profile? Everytime I try and go through there I get an error message.

June 10th 2012

unfortunately you can't edit your stuff right now, you've got to go to the meds thread and request for a mod to fix it for you. they're usually cool about it though.

FilupLees
June 11th 2012

"Beau Navire have done well to avoid any comparisons to their previous/current projects, I Wrote Haikus About You in Your Yearbook and Loma Prieta."

Umm... Listen to iwrotehaikus, then listen to Life Moves or the 8" split...

sniper

19042 Comments

this is so much better a review of this than i was expecting sputnik to produce.

pos

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

kingsoby1

zach gives it a 4

Tyrael

20798 Comments

Not a big emo/screamo fan here but I like what I've heard so far from this

alachlahol
June 11th 2012

cant write about screamo without using the word passion

Ire

zach savage says

damn girl

gettin dat feature

alachlahol
June 11th 2012

loma prieta metallic as fuck