Japandroids
Celebration Rock

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (6 Reviews)
June 6th, 2012 | 33 replies | 2,357 views

Review Summary: The Holocaust

I don't mind when a band finds a sound on their debut that is all their own, then tries to replicate the same magic on their second effort, instead of attempting to do something different just for the sake of it. But on Celebration Rock, Japandroids long awaited follow up, they lose it. All the youthful exuberance and passion of their debut is still there, yet the end result feels forced. Perhaps it's the songwriting; compared to this, Post-Nothing felt loose, unhinged even. Every note felt open to breathe and it seemed to match the rawness of the message Japandroids were speaking. Run around and french kiss some french girls? Post-Nothing was free, in both lyric and sound - a road trip gone crazy, a summer unforgettable in the youthful haze of the sun. It's hard to ignore that Celebration Rock sounds like nothing more than a rehash, which would be fine really if it seemed like the care-free attitude was still there. It's strange to me that I don't like this record; the fuzzy guitars are still present as ever, the energy is still cranked to 10. Yet Celebration Rock feels like a man late to his own funeral; trying to relive his days of youth but forgetting about this little thing called time.

Perhaps it's because I feel like they left it all on the table with their debut and as a result all this energy here feels caked on. There's only so many sing-along chants and lyrics about drinking that can be heard without the whole thing sounding like a last ditch effort to keep a party going after the cops get there. Japandroids are stuck, and at 23, I feel Post-Nothing is nothing but an annoying reminder of days gone by. It's not a celebration so much as a refusal to let the past go. And to be frank there really hasn't been an indie album with this much oomph in a while, perhaps since Post-Nothing. But it hardly matters; Japandroids want to drink with me but all I can think of responding with is "Dude, chill out". I'm all for fun when the fun isn't being slammed down my throat. If the Nazis had fun the same way they did their political business, then Celebration Rock is the Holocaust. If I want a drink, I'll call Patrick Stickles.

Menomena MinesAcid Pauli mst
Casey Veggies Customized Greatly Vol. 3Art Imperial Cult Of Love
Lovelock Burning Feeling

hehe :]

June 6th 2012

I feel Post-Nothing is nothing but an annoying reminder of days gone by

ahh that should be celebration rock

Fucking god yes

a shame this needs to get approved by the mods first

have a well-deserved pos

June 6th 2012

haha thanks man god i feel like the grinch

Samizdat
June 6th 2012

tramps like us, baby we were born to dieeee

SeaAnemone

19729 Comments

I heard you like metaphors and similes

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

hi sea

Samizdat
June 6th 2012

this is a pretty of-the-moment record. surprised everybody's so enamored with it. good review, a bit opinionated, a bit on the turgid side, but maybe that's the point? to replicate what you call the being late to the funeral parody?

pos.

thanks man

Romulus
June 6th 2012

"If I want a drink, I'll call Patrick Stickles."

ew

Romulus
June 6th 2012

but i have no problem with this review chambered you do your thing

plane
June 6th 2012

idk, this doesn't sound forced, it sounds anonymous. MJ would say it was written for everyone by no one, because it was written as if by everyone.

20740 Comments

I want that you are always happy

so we made a record that fully thrives on
ENERGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEAAHHHH

Apollo

this band fucking sucks

Apollo have I told you that I love you lately

I love lamp

Eko
June 6th 2012

I feel like I agree and disagree simultaneously and I cant pos because the summary is too absurd

PuddlesPuddles