Brand New
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

good

by yidnarc USER (18 Reviews)
June 4th, 2012 | 51 replies | 3,762 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is a great album if you remove the pop punk element

If there's one thing I've never understood, it's pop punk. I mean I get it's purpose; it was made in the 90s for kids to dance to, basically. But why the need for a comeback? I can appreciate Brand New's love for the music even if I don't especially appreciate it, but why Jesse Lacey needed to inject his interesting dark punk with it I'll never figure out the answer. The songs here for the most part are great if you strip away all the awful pop punk, they're certainly passable. Like Millstone has the darkest bassline of all time that would give even Flea a run for his money. But the whole album has a poppy background that I can't ignore, it's like when a fly flies right into your ear and you have to spend twenty minutes trying to get it out.

Now to be fair all the instruments are played well and Lacey is quite the talented singer vocally. But his screaming and lyrics annoy me to no end; he's not even a screamer so why pretend like he is? Its the same reason Keith Urban gets on my nerves, you're from Australia, not rural Tennessee! And Lacey, you're a crooner not a screamer, so act like it. Lyrically he's not much better. What is Luca supposed to mean anyway? I get that he's a guy from the Godfather, but what is "drink up the entire ocean" even supposed to mean? He just picked words that sounded cool; pretty lazy if you ask me, Lacey.

There are a couple highlights though: the choir, effect in You Won't Know's verse is very well-done, so props on that one. It adds a much needed coolness to the dark pop punky sound of the rest of the album. Jesus Christ has some pretty great lyrics but is ruined by an annoying guitar line that repeats and runs through the entire song, and for Sowing Season, the opposite is true: the music is great, but the lyrics are confusing as all hell. I don't know what's even going on in the verses, the lyrics are a mess. Overall, it's a pretty decent album, but nothing I'd go out of my way to listen to, and only listen to it if you can look past annoying pop punk droning and bad screaming from time to time.

Defeater TravelsGlassjaw Worship and Tribute

taxidermist

gay review

sixdegrees
June 4th 2012

okay, what is pop punk about this?

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

FearThyEvil

This screams alt rock.

TooLateToGoBack

what the fuck.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

zxlkho
June 4th 2012

Shit review, Incredible album.

Tyrael

20824 Comments

okay, what is pop punk about this? [∞]

ILJ
June 4th 2012

"it's like when a fly flies right into your ear and you have to spend twenty minutes trying to get it out."

wut

ILJ
June 4th 2012

"but what is "drink up the entire ocean" even supposed to mean?"

It's called a metaphor.

"Jesus Christ has some pretty great lyrics but is ruined by an annoying guitar line that repeats and runs through the entire song"

That fucking riff is gorgeous.

Terrible review. Go take a lap.

Gwynbleiddsfang
June 4th 2012

""recommends are welcome" review something that half the user base hasn't already covered to death.
"

Or learn how to review.

ConcubinaryCode

2064 Comments

pretty sure this is Crandynewman. or at least someone trying really hard to be him.

my god these 5's

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

H61

but youre above all that by giving it a 4

ChaseCha
June 4th 2012

You're being very very silly.

wacknizzle
June 4th 2012

Deja Entendu is a great album if you remove all the pop-punk, are you sure this was meant to be a Devil & God review?

Digging: Amenra - Mass V

ThroneOfAgony

good review

agree completely

wacknizzle
June 4th 2012

I walked out on Brand New when they played with Thrice a couple years ago, my quote as Sowing Season started, "Oh god, it's about to get real gay and emo up in here" and even then I would think this review is absolute shit.

Spec
June 4th 2012

taxi how the fuck did you post such a colourful comment?

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them