Ulver
Childhood's End

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
June 4th, 2012 | 58 replies | 8,789 views

Review Summary: Ulver pays homage to their childhood's musical exposure.

It's been one year since Ulver released War of the Roses, and now they have the audacity to deprive their fan base by releasing a cover album, and not new material! Those bastards! It seems to be that case, yet the band's gears are still turning, with perhaps new inspiration. Basically, every single song is originating from the 60's psychedelic era from big named bands from that time period, such as Jefferson Airplane or The Pretty Things. Even so, when I look back on the album, I can't help but wonder about the band's future. Childhood's End could be the leading factor that determines any musical direction the band will have for any upcoming future release. For all we know they might be creating a new era for themselves by covering these songs, or it's as simple as it is, a cover album. But that's just speculation.

As the album goes, the most expected reaction towards this release is probably, “Oh, it's just a compilation of covers, it's gonna suck ass”, without any consideration of being open-minded. Generally that thought process usually is the case with covers in general; the ruining-of-classics-syndrome as I call it, just look at Korn covering Pink Floyd. This time around Childhood's End turns out to be one of those rare exceptions. For the most part, Ulver is treading in some deep waters by coming too close to that unforgivable ruining-of-classics-syndrome. Somehow or other they manage to swim out of that mess and instead they hit a bulls-eye by adding that “Ulver” vibe to it all. The songs “The Trap”, “I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night”, “Magic Hollow”, and “Street Song”are great examples as why this compilation is worthy for entering any Ulver playlist, and the entire album itself is quite enjoyable.

Whether or not, it's still considered to be “new material”, but lets be honest, we can't rush greatness, and have knee-jerk reactions demanding new albums over a cover album. It's been one year people, so let's not get in a twist over a cover album after one year of new material being released. You just might be surprised of how enjoyable this cover album is. At the end of the day, Childhood's End stands clear as a formidable release, even if it is a compilation of covers. A true must-have for any Ulver fan.

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad

June 4th 2012

I've been on a roll this week.

JamieTwort

20356 Comments

Listened to some of this the other day, it's pretty good.

June 4th 2012

Good review bro. Pos. I may have to check this out. Your review was quite convincing.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Thanks brah.

Graveyard
June 4th 2012

Haven't listened to this one yet

I'll get on it

Digging: Total Control - Typical System

June 4th 2012

"Listen to I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night, then come back to me to see if you wanna check this out."

sounds good, will do

EyesWideShut
June 4th 2012

“Oh, it's just a compilation of covers, it's gonna suck ass”

i dont think many people heard the originals so this will just be Ulver making good psychedelic rock..

its cool album yo.

Venpts16
June 4th 2012

Awesome review, Fictional! Definitely pos'd!

June 4th 2012

@EyesWideShut, People always have retarded reactions to things, especially elitists, so I more or less just covered that problem.

@Venpts16 thanks man

Needs Feature

June 4th 2012

Tell the staff or something. I don't think it would be kosher if i did it. Plus it was released not too long ago.

Voivod
June 4th 2012

Well written review, pos, although it could be more detailed in the description of the music.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

June 4th 2012

"Tell the staff or something"

will do

June 4th 2012

@Voivod thanks man. I know it could've had more detail about the music. I just didn't find anywhere it could've fit within the review, because I wanted the reader/listener to go out of their way to listen to it and find what they like more.

June 4th 2012

Captain you're probably blocked. try another staff member.

June 4th 2012

Hmm that's weird. All I did was request a feature for the Ahab review for Noctus.

What do you mean by trying another staff member? Are referring to me shoutboxing one of the mods?

June 4th 2012

When you said : "hmmm that's weird my ability to post in the threads is no longer there. Not sure what happened. Logged in twice, still doesn't work.

I even left a comment earlier today that worked so I'm not sure what happened bro."

I thought you were saying you were putting a shout in a staff member's shoutbox and it wasn't showing. So I suggested about another staff's shoutbox.

tarkus
June 4th 2012

i looked for this when it came out

im still skeptical

June 4th 2012

I used youtube to listen to it.