Scorpions
In Trance

by RunOfTheMill USER (6 Reviews)
June 3rd, 2012 | 52 replies

Release Date: 1975 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A masterful piece of hard rock with very few flaws.

By 1975, it is remarkable to think that the Scorpions had been formed already 10 years before. Their early years were turbulent ones, with multiple lineup changes and steps towards many open-ended directions. However, with the release of their third album, In Trance, the Scorpions were finally starting to establish their base sound, and with masterful execution.

With their previous releases, the band had been influenced by psychedelic and progressive influences. Compositions such as “Lonesome Crow”, “In Search of the Peace of Mind” and “Fly to the Rainbow” display this perfectly. Enter In Trance, these influences have been mostly ditched. Shorter and more concise songs dominate the album. Similarly to “Speedy's Coming” off of Fly to the Rainbow, tracks such as “Dark Lady”, “Top of the Bill” and “Robot Man” are fun and easy to listen to, and easily grasp any listener's attention with fast-paced rhythm and amazing guitar work by Roth and Schenker.

Despite this, progressive structure is still present in some tracks. The title track and “Evening Wind” clearly change throughout their course. In particular, the title track benefits from this immensely, when it changes from an acoustic ballad, to a stellar solo by Roth, and finishes with an emotionally driven chant by Meine, accompanied by powerful instrumentation from the entire band.

Other power ballads on the album shouldn't be overlooked, however. The likes of “Life's Like a River” and “Living and Dying” are great tracks, and fully flesh out Meine's impressive vocal ability and the amount of emotion he puts in.

If there was ever one thing that made the Uli Jon Roth era iffy, it was Roth's vocals. Roth's voice is nasal, and deepened by his accent, making it go frequently out of tune. His vocals on “Dark Lady” aren't so bad, because of the blaring sound of all the instruments, as well as Meine taking over the high-pitched yells during the chorus, but it ruins “Sun in My Hand”, who's minimalistic rhythmic approach brings all ears to his vocal flaws, which is unfortunate, because otherwise that track has great soloing.

As for the other band members, Buccholz plays his best bass lines of his career, and is the driving force for songs such as “Longing for Fire” and “Life's Like a River”. Their new drummer, Rudy Lenners, isn't as impressive as Jurgen Rosenthal, but manages to keep up to the beat. These two make up the stellar rhythm section of the album and perfect its pace, making for hardly ever a dull moment.

In Trance is an extremely high note in the Scorpions' career, and is probably their best work with Roth. It has masterful guitar work, powerful vocals by Meine and perfect pace. What more could you ask for from a hard rock album?

Klaus Meine – vocals

Unisonic UnisonicUnisonic Ignition
Scorpions Lonesome Crow
4.2
Daniel Dias (4.5)
Scorpions successfully explore a heavier sound in one of the band's best albums....

John Marinakis (5)
Scorpions’s best 70’s album is a magical journey through grief and melancholia....

Third review! :D

Not trying anything special, but I wanted to make a clear review that dissected the music well. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

rockandmetaljunkie
June 3rd 2012

Ugh i wanted to review this album.
Nevermind, good review mate this album needed one. Have a pos.
In Trance is the best album Scorpions wrote in the 70's.

Beat ya to it :P

Thanks man. Yeah, this album REALLY needed it, so I hope the review does it justice.

rockandmetaljunkie
June 3rd 2012

Well now all i have to do is write a better one.

"Yeah, this album REALLY needed it"

I see you also reviewed their debut, which is good. This band needs more attention, especially their work with Uli Roth.

Great stuff dude

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

TheNotrap

Enjoyable album indeed.

Always great to see a Scorpions review, have a pos.

Digging: Lago - Tyranny

JamieTwort

20671 Comments

Album rules. Roth is such an awesome guitarist.

Good review, pos'd.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

June 3rd 2012

Yeah Roth is awesome. I find the entire band was much more creative with him.

Thanks for the pos's!

Detritivore
June 4th 2012

Great album , powerfull and enjoyable. The work of Uli Jon Roth was perfect, this guy is my guitar hero.

Voivod
June 4th 2012

CAUSE I'M IN TRAAAAAAAAAAANNNCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE

Great album, I should listen to the Scorpions' Uli Jon Roth era more.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

Itishappeningagain
July 30th 2012

Wow, and i thought these guys were always about simplicity. Was pleasantly surprised with this.

11960 Comments

Started listening to this, good stuff. Gotta love the guitar work here.

11960 Comments

Started listening to this, good stuff. Gotta love the guitar work here.

Whoops, double post.

11960 Comments

Overlooked album by the band, looks like a 4.5 to me.

11960 Comments

The solo in "Sun in My Hand" is beast.

11960 Comments

In Trance is easily one of Scorpions' most underrated releases. Uli Jon Roth does a great job here. Very fine album.

JamieTwort

20671 Comments

Awesome album. Roth era Scorpions is the best.

danielcardoso
July 7th 2013

Best German band ever!
One of their best albums.

manosg