To Speak Of Wolves
Find Your Worth, Come Home

by Durrzo USER (7 Reviews)
June 3rd, 2012 | 25 replies

Review Summary: TSOW's sophomore album show's the band improving, finding their sound, and creating one of the best Metalcore albums in recent memory.

To Speak Of Wolves is a Metalcore band founded by Phil Chamberlain, brother of Underoath vocalist Spencer Chamberlain. They released their debut album back in 2010 and it was pretty solid. They had a good vocalist and the instrumentals were enjoyable. Shortly after the release they lost their vocalist, which always sucks. Losing a frontman can make or break a band. I'm happy to report that Gage Speas, the new lead vocalist, isn't simply on par with the previous vocalist, he's on a much higher level. With a great new vocalist the band has crafted a great new album, one that sounds very different than their debut in the best possible way.

When I listen to this album there's one band comparison that comes to mind every time... Underoath, minus the keyboard. This record is very similar to Disambiguation. This is a dark atmospheric album driven by an intense vocal performance and deeply personal lyrics. While the rest of the band does a great job, the focus of the album is Gage Speas and him pouring his heart and soul out onto the record. Sound familiar?

Similarities aside, this band stands on their own just fine, they are not a clone of Underoath or bands like them. They have their own sound and it's ***ing outstanding.

Gage is one of the best vocalists I've heard recently, maybe ever. His screams pack an enormous punch and he has pretty solid range, but the real accomplishment is the emotion they contain. The amount of anguish and desperation in this guy's voice gives me chills every time I give this a spin. He sounds like a cross between Micah Kinard and Spencer Chamberlain, which is amusing to me considering his history with Oh Sleeper and who the founder of this band is. Speaking of Micah, he has a guest spot on the second track and it's awesome. Gage has a pretty great singing voice as well and he puts it to good use on several tracks.

The lyrics here are, like I said, deeply personal. There's stories about losing faith, losing loved ones, parents divorcing, people separating... but there's also more positive topics like becoming who you're meant to be and, as the album title suggests, finding you worth.

The songs themselves are for the most part, completely chaotic and frantic, matching the intensity of the vocals. The guitar riffs are fast paced, frantic, and also very interesting. There are some greats riffs and melodies to be found here, some of them are quite bizarre sounding but they work perfectly. The playing is all around very tight. Phil Chamberlain's drumming is great. He's got that style of playing that never gets to flashy but keeps the song rolling perfectly, his beats are a constant highlight throughout the album.

There is no filler here, every song has something to say, and they all completely and utterly hold my attention every time I listen.

The last track on the album, 'Rearview Memories' deserves a special mention. It's about the suicide of the father of two of Gage's friends. Levi (Levi The Poet) and his sister Bree. These two both have guest spots on the track, Bree praying to God, Levi speaking to his deceased father. Both performances are very emotional and bring a lot to the song. Add Gage's desperate screams and you have an emotional masterpiece of an album closer. This one gives me chills and I'll admit it came damn close to bringing a tear to my eye the first time I heard it.

This album both demands and deserves attention. TSOW is easily one of the most promising Metalcore acts to jump onto the scene recently. This is not breakdown riddled chugging, this is emotional impressive technical music that every fan of the genre should give at least one listen.

Darkest Hour Darkest HourBreakdown Of Sanity Perception
In Fear and Faith In Fear and Faith This or the Apocalypse Dead Years
A Hero a Fake The Future AgainFeed Her to the Sharks The Beauty of Falling

June 3rd 2012

If you see any mistakes call me out on them, give feedback, all that fun stuff. I think review editing is still broken so I hope I didn't miss anything.

You can get info on each track here.

Storm In A Teacup
June 3rd 2012

I've only heard the 08 Following Voices ep and it was pretty average.

Coast
June 3rd 2012

Their sound and harsh vocals are better although the last vocalist had awesome cleans, pos'd.

Emim
June 3rd 2012

Not a great review, but not bad enough to neg.

Sad to hear that the old vocalist left, but I'm excited to hear this now.

June 3rd 2012

I know the review is average at best, to be honest I didn't really want to write it, but I like this album so damn much I wanted it to get some front page time. Nobody else seemed interested in reviewing it so I figured I'd at least give it a shot.

I know a lot of people liked the old vocalist but trust me Em, Gage is overall much better. His cleans aren't as unique but otherwise he destroys.

Emim
June 3rd 2012

I'm gonna try and find a physical copy of this when I have time.

And the review isn't terrible by any means, it just doesn't flow very well.

KSK1
June 3rd 2012

I downloaded this like a week ago and never listened to it. From the song I have heard the harsh vocals sound a lot better than the previous vocalist.

TooManyFriends

I call this record "Disambiguation pt. 2". Good ass album though

Nikkolae
June 4th 2012

so wait is spencer's bro still in the band? i remember this being a flat out underoath copy cat, seems not much has changed though.

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

eswarrior
June 7th 2012

@nikkolae a flatout underoath copycat? Never, but they are more similar now then ever.

June 8th 2012

Calling them a copycat is a bit unfair. Their style is very similar but they still deserve credit for being able to write such a good album. Besides, all bands in the genre copy one another to some extent, at least TSOW decided to follow in the footsteps in one of the genre's better bands.

wacknizzle
June 8th 2012

Great review Durrz, I'm loving what I've heard from this so far, the raw sound of this album reminds me alot of Advent.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

sixdegrees
June 8th 2012

I liked what i've heard from the album. Above-average metalcore.

Digging: yasumiyasumi - Tokyo Digital Love

Storm In A Teacup

I just realized I'm seeing these guys live on July 10 with Emery

*commences list

LifeAsAChipmunk
June 8th 2012

I remember listening to some of this a while ago. I remember not liking it.

Whatever, good review bro.

June 8th 2012

Thanks for the pos votes fellas. All of the make or break stuff here just happened to click with me, but I can totally understand why some people don't care for this at all.

RyanSmithers
June 19th 2012

This album is awesome. I didn't know what it'd be like when I heard the old singer had left and wasn't expecting much. However, I pre-ordered it anyway and oh, man...totally blew away my expectations. I think my iTunes play count is up to 30. New vocalist is seriously awesome. I also agree with the last song needing special attention and although I love the song because of everything that went into it and the story behind it is unreal, but I have trouble listening to it having two little boys of my own. So, I usually just stop after Voidmaker. Either way, the album is just awesome, my favorite of the year so far. Oh, and I'd say that "hivemind", "vertigo", and "oregon" are my favorites at the moment.

June 19th 2012

Vertigo is awesome, possibly my favorite. I really like Broken Birds as well.

Killerhit

Great

haydenslame
July 4th 2012

This band is great live. awesome album. good review too.