Big K.R.I.T.
Live From The Underground

by DJRedMEDIA USER (2 Reviews)
June 4th, 2012 | 35 replies | 6,235 views

Review Summary: Big K.R.I.T. has delivered his fellow man another memorable album that has “4eva” been cemented into the annals of Hip Hop history.

It’s artists like Big K.R.I.T. that give us hope for the genre we call Hip Hop and Rap. While the musical category hasn’t exactly seen a plethora of great acts since the early to late 90’s, there’s still no reason that we can’t reminisce on the idea that somebody will come along to pick up the torch that greats like 2Pac and Outkast left behind. While Big K.R.I.T.’s latest album, “Live From The Underground”, isn’t groundbreaking in terms of his previous projects, it still provides hope that the genre might indeed be moving away from commercial sounds for once in our contemporary times. Just take a look at the track “Praying Man”. How many rappers can honestly garner the respect of legendary blues musician BB King and actually convince him to get in the studio with you? Big K.R.I.T. is just the type of Southern emcee that commands that sort of attention. While “Live From The Underground” is his first official release, I’d still suggest that new listeners and potential fans go back to “Return of 4Eva” as you will find this material to be more accessible than what you find here. One must understand that K.R.I.T. is a man of experimentation, and like other great Hip Hop artists like Kanye West that often divulge themselves in powerful experimental instrumentation, K.R.I.T. almost seems to surpass his counterparts to certain degrees. I’m not saying that the Southern native is the best producer alive, but I am trying to give the listener a strong sense of what we’re dealing with here.

Here’s an artist that stays dedicated to his craft and it’s often difficult to say that Michael Jordan’s fourth championship ring was any worse than his other career triumphs. We face a difficult issue with K.R.I.T. and he’s certainly not alone with this issue. An artist creates a piece of work that is so mind blowing and innovative yet his or her later releases are often not up to par with what some would consider “The Classic Album”. It happens all the time and in this process the music fanatic often forgets that his or her favorite artist/band still has a repertoire of incredible albums that aren’t quite perfect yet still have the consistency that would tear apart some of its other competitors in the genre. For this, let’s consider that even though “Return of 4eva” might be K.R.I.T.’s best piece, he still has various other great albums that should still be applauded by the ears of Hip Hop listeners all over the world.

On a musical note, one really has to be satisfied with what K.R.I.T. has done with the instrumentation here. I really like the fact that K.R.I.T. uses his Def Jam associations to feature some really unique features that other artists would often neglect in the completion of their final product. The craftsmanship that goes into this collection of songs really is an “ear buster” in terms of the sample choices and the soulful Southern vibe that has always been a key factor to K.R.I.T.’s success. Lyrically, the man is as strong as ever and you never hear his voice ever become strained even during the most condensed portions of his rapping schemes. Big K.R.I.T. has delivered his fellow man another memorable album that has “4eva” been cemented into the annals of Hip Hop history.

Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS (3)
Enjoyable southern rap that emulates its influences well...

Inveigh

glad this got a review

this is still growing on me, but so far I think this might be my 2nd fav from K.R.I.T. after Returnof4eva

FourthReich
June 1st 2012

i don't like the first three sentences at all but the rest of the review is alright i suppose.

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

Quality stuff as usual

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

MMX

Definitely better than 4eva N A Day
but ReturnOf4eva is still the best

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

Tupik
June 2nd 2012

Very good as usual, I feel like he has to try something new, maybe some new producers, for his next
album, because this 4evaNaday and returnof4eva are all very similar. I love what he does but if he
keeps serving up the same shit it might get boring quickly.

Switch your game up Krizzle, don't disappoint us !

Don't get me wrong, album is a banger though!

EDIT: Nice review too

June 4th 2012

This review has parts from the djbooth review lol

@Tupik this lp has much more harmonica and guitar than any of his previous works, technically it ain't that similar. It's more like everything he has done share a similar sound pattern which isn't bad at all. We all have to take for granted that it's his major debut meaning that he had to deal with sample clearances. Putting out a record like LFTU on Def Jam is fuckin serious.

Hep Kat
June 4th 2012

yea this is not that good

Digging: Nipsey Hussle - Crenshaw

Inveigh
June 4th 2012

wow yeah I won't say this is direct plagiarism, but shit you pretty much just cliff-noted that other review dude.

(changing my pos vote)

June 4th 2012

cant get into krit. i am supposed to review this, but it's so hard to review something that you're just not interested in :[

June 4th 2012

it's all taste mayne but you have to improve yours

EyesWideShut
June 4th 2012

"yea this is not that good"

gotta agree.. I had really high hopes for this as im a big fan of the classic southern rap sound and knowing Krit has the talent to deliver a knock out album. but just about half of this is garbage or just the type of southern rap people want to avoid.

once people like Krit or even The Weeknd put out so much quality material for free it always makes me wonder how many more tricks do they have up their sleeve for a proper full lengh.

June 4th 2012

why is everyone allowed to post here lol

i think the best krit will ever be is a 3.5... unless he gets better beats

he gets no beats

June 4th 2012

He makes his own beat now, but he does not make good beats.

um

boogs

Same old same old from Big KRIT

FourthReich
June 5th 2012

"cant get into krit."
my feelings exactly. i'd give it a 3-3.5 because it probably deserves it but i am honestly having trouble enjoying this or anything k.r.i.t. for that matter... though please do review it because this one is terrible. i can't stand the redudant, "hip hop has been dead since the 90's and *insert artists name here, has brought it back to life with this release."

AggravatedYeti
June 5th 2012

usually love KRIT's beats.

this is somewhat disappointing, yet still some of this shit is undeniable.