Grand Magus
The Hunt

by Greg Fisher STAFF
June 1st, 2012 | 54 replies | 10,288 views

Review Summary: Ballsy, hard-hitting and supremely melodic, The Hunt is a heavy metal album for the masses.

Traditional heavy metal has had a flourishing year thus far. The latest top-notch albums of Dawnbringer and Christian Mistress have brought the sense of purpose to this presumably stale genre, reinvigorating it with powerful songwriting as well as exquisite musicianship. The newest release of Stockholm-based Grand Magus doesn't disappoint either. Following on excellent Hammer Of The North, The Hunt revolves around the same formula that made the band's previous disc so appealing.

The trio once again has delved into accessible heavy metal that abounds with soaring, ultra-melodic vocals and infectious, driving guitar riffs. By now it seems that oppressive doom metal of their early offerings is long gone in favour of a more streamlined, not to mention traditional approach to song craft that has plenty in common with the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal and the output of Judas Priest from the 1970s. What easily distinguishes Grand Magus from their copious peers though is that their aptitude for channelling the spirit of that era feels perfectly natural and unforced. For instance, “Silver Moon” blends all its classic influences so swiftly that you can't help fist-pumping to its undeniable hook.

While The Hunt doesn't really stylistically deviate from the band's previous two discs, the production is much warmer and crisper emulating the vibe of 1970s proto-metal discs even to a larger degree. Janne ''JB'' Christoffersson remains a charismatic frontman whose admirable set of pipes allow for vocal lines that are both boldly melodic and powerful. Classic hard rock-inclined rhythm section comprised of Fox (bass) and Spiritual Beggars' Ludwig Witt (drums) provides a backdrop for JB's expertly-executed guitar work which sparkles with many memorable leads and superb guitar solos.

The main gripe that some critics may have with The Hunt is that Grand Magus refuse to progress beyond their own safety zone and thus there's hardly anything surprising about their music. However, the trio truly compensates for a certain lack of diversity with remarkable consistency offering a collection of nine songs that are all meticulously written and performed, except “Storm King” which may be a sole tenuous link featuring a fairly uninspired, repetitive chorus. The act's songwriting skills are so consummate though that the strongest tracks are difficult to decide upon. “Son Of The Last Breath” certainly stands out from the bunch since it is the most ambitious song on the entire disc. The seven-minute-long composition starts with a soft acoustic guitar play and beautiful strings that impressively build to a galloping, heavy metal groove. Not only is the song the most evident encapsulation of the Viking folklore the lyrics on the disc derive from, but also provides a welcome shift in style. Here's hoping that such elements will be more prominent on the forthcoming albums of Grand Magus since they bring another layer to the trio's formidable rendition of heavy metal.

Dog Fashion Disco Sweet NothingsSo Slow Dharavi
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunFire! Orchestra Enter!
Ought More Than Any Other DaytUnE-yArDs Nikki Nack
Juular (4.5)
The Hunt is the type of album that reminds us why we love this genre of music so much....

Voivod

Excellent review, pos.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

June 1st 2012

Another top-notch Swedish release. Hail Sweden!

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

jopower
June 1st 2012

This is a truly underrated band. The band is a mix of Iron Maiden and Candlemass, and the vocalist reminds me of Chris Cornell.

Metalstyles
June 1st 2012

Great review Greggy but these guys, sadly, don't do anything for me :/

Thx a lot.

I've really tried not to like this album so much, but I failed. These guys are just so consistent. There's only one song on here I don't particularly care for. It's still probably bound to grow on me.

TheNotrap

Nice work, have a pos.
Will check this out.

June 1st 2012

Thanks dude. I'm off to fight some dragons.

20740 Comments

glad to hear this is as good as I was hoping

nice review

KatatoNick
June 1st 2012

Great stuff. Son Of The Last Breath caught me out the first time I listened to the album, it is a grower though!

June 1st 2012

This goes great with Diablo III. Sweden continues to rule! Sweet review, pos.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

kount
June 1st 2012

i second that it goes well with diablo 3 8))

June 1st 2012

Pos good review. I heard this on youtube the other day I believe and it was solid. Gonna try to give the full a listen.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

SteelErectedb4you8er
June 1st 2012

As one of the biggest Grand Magus fans out there, I am definitely excited to check it out. I do hope in the future they do bring back their doom elements because Monument may be their best record; though, I love all of their albums heavily. I do like the NWOBH side of them, but as a big doom guy, I want their slow n' heavy riffs. Good review, Greg.

Voivod
June 1st 2012

This should be featured at some point.

I WISH I COULD PLAY DIABLO III

June 1st 2012

What is stopping you Tyr ?

20740 Comments

I tried to play the beta and it fried my graphics card (not joking)

June 1st 2012

Oh, that's bad, sorry to hear that. I struggle with mine too and I stopped playing it on the laptop. I just use from time to time some friend's laptop that's better than mine.

JamieTwort

20014 Comments

I might check this out at some point.

Great review, pos'd.

June 2nd 2012

Thanks guys. Now let's follow The Hunt.

The Hunt: