Joey Ramone

very poor

by Joseph Viney STAFF
May 31st, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Hey! Ho! Just let go

The posthumous record sales market is a very lucrative one. Marquee names like Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Jimi Hendrix live on in the form of re-releases, remixes, and outtake compilations. Tupac Shakur has released more albums in death than life. Sales of Amy Winehouse records soared after her passing and groups like The Doors and Nirvana continue to post larger than average sales numbers. In short, there is some benefit in feeling Death’s cold grip on your shoulder.

Sure, it lines the pockets of the suits and their record companies, but what does it offer the consumer? Far from being the revelatory, mythical ‘lost album’ collections that the music press dreams of, such releases are marred by low quality, confused arrangements and a host of unwelcome interferences. Anybody remember the (first?) posthumous Michael Jackson release? Exactly.

Consequently, it comes as a surprise that Joey Ramone’s second solo record comes eleven years after his death. There’s been no commercial or media push for a Ramones trend revival, and the only surviving original member keeps away from the spotlight. Comprising of songs written between 1977 to 2000 and featuring no less than five producers, …Ya Know? is the average mid-period Ramones re-tread you would expect. In simpler terms, it’s better than Subterranean Jungle but worse than Brain Drain.

Given the time span these songs were written across, one can only assume that the songs on …Ya Know? were rejected by the rest of his leather clad bandmates at the time of writing. Joey Ramone’s lyrics always belied the fast and furious pace of his group’s music, and so his many glances at the darker side of introspection (jealousy, murder, unrequited love) managed to slip under the radar. The relentless buzzsaw that Johnny and Dee Dee provided gives way to a monotonous mid-pace trundle that stops …Ya Know? from becoming anything special or memorable.

Forget about the reckless, joyful abandon of classics like “Rockaway Beach”, “Commando”, “Judy Is A Punk” or “Blitzkrieg Bop”. Now we’re lumped with flaccid efforts with names like “I Couldn’t Sleep”, “Seven Days Of Gloom”, “There’s Got To Be More To Life” and “What Did I Do To Deserve You?” Completely unaided by flat production and little or no deviation from one or two initial ideas, it’s verging on an insult to the memory of one of punk’s pioneers.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan
1.9
poor

Don't Worry About Me

JViney
May 31st 2012

This album was so hotly-anticipated that it wasn't even on the site's database.

Storm In A Teacup
May 31st 2012

What the actual fuck this is terrible.

Some people I ran into once should have listened to song numero ten last X-mas.

Deviant.
May 31st 2012

Put the artwork up for you

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

macadoolahicky
May 31st 2012

There's no artwork yes so I can't judge the book by it's cover.

Edit: Thanks Deviant! Yeah, I won't be listening to this

JViney
May 31st 2012

Thanks Dev. I uploaded the image when I logged the album on the database but it failed to show. Not sure why but hey, it's fixed now.

Deviant.
May 31st 2012

No error, it just has to go through the approval queue. I can bypass it

Irving
May 31st 2012

Anybody remember the (first?) posthumous Michael Jackson release? Exactly.

This.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

ReturnToRock

When did this come out?

Also, ANYTHING's better than Subterranean Jungle (except for Pleasant Dreams and Halfway to Sanity).

"Better than Subterranean Jungle but worse than Brain Drain" - soooo...Road To Ruin?

clercqie
May 31st 2012

Yeah this is unfortunately really bad.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

newjunkaesthetic93
May 31st 2012

There were a few songs I really loved on "Don't Worry About Me", but this one is just purely throw aways. Too bad.

balcaen
May 31st 2012

Jesus, I pity whoever had to produce this.

Recspecs

Hahaha

AtavanHalen
June 1st 2012

was kind of expecting this to suck

still, don't worry about me was/is cute

TrstN01
June 1st 2012

The intro/chorus riff from Going Nowhere Fast sounds so familiar… but I can't figure out where I've heard it.

Spec
June 1st 2012

Wont be listening to this.

nezvanovni
June 1st 2012

I always feel incredibly stupid when I think back to my 13 year old self buying that useless Nirvana boxset...

FromDaHood
June 2nd 2012

Vineyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ReturnToRock
June 6th 2012

Listened to this (apart from the last five songs). What they did to Merry Christmas ALONE warrants a 1/5 rating. Rest is pretty poor too other than I Can't Sleep, which is actually a pretty decent mid-period Ramones song.

Overall this may just be as bad as Dee Dee's solo stuff, if not worse. Expect a review soon.