Cream
Disraeli Gears

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
May 31st, 2012 | 62 replies | 5,455 views

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "It's getting near dawn, when lights close their tired eyes..."

Psychedelia was an infectious trend in the 1960's. Every musical act wanted to be a part of it. A genre birthed from the mind-altering effects of psychoactive substances, inducing a tracing sound that mimicked the similar experiences of disorientation and euphoria. Cream's Disraeli Gears is often viewed as one of the pinnacle efforts that helped define psychedelic music, as the album introduces various elaborate techniques with guitar effects and surrealistic lyrical narratives.

The band's debut effort, Fresh Cream, Introduced a more rambunctious and aggressive approach to Blues music. A sound that expressed an exuberance of energy, formulated by the vigorously dynamic drumming of Ginger Baker and the intensive synergy between guitarists, Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce. But in Disraeli Gears, we find Cream displaying a sense of restrain, and embracing a more melodious sound. Songs like "World Of Pain" and "Tales Of Brave Ulysses", display the typical approach of the album. We can really see psychedelia playing a more prominent role in the orchestration of the music, as both songs are decorated with guitar effects that add a sense of disorientation to the overall sound of the music. As I said before, Disraeli Gears certainly favors the more mellow and mellifluous characteristics of psychedelic music, but we also find that Cream haven't completely diverged from the aggression of their previous effort.

The album's highlight, "Sunshine Of Your Love", exhibits a newly composed sound from Cream. It certainly has a more restrained instrumentation than that of the music in Fresh Cream, but the musical style is certainly similar. The song is driven by the coalescence of the guitar and bass arrangements, which a follow a mild pace, but it is Ginger Baker's eruptive drumming which lies in the background that manages to add the similar sense of aggression. "SWLABR" is the closest to reflect the energy of Fresh Cream, but with a different approach. The synergy between the three band members in this song is utterly surreal- Jack Bruce's soulful voice, Ginger Baker's dominating percussive rhythms, but the spotlight certainly belongs to Eric Clapton in this particular piece. The guitar sections display Eric Clapton inventively experimenting with electrical distorting techniques that help give "SWLABR" a heavier tone.

Disraeli Gears certainly introduces a new sound, but as we progress further into the album we find that we're still being entertained by the same old Cream. Songs like "Outside Woman Blues" and "Take It Back" serve as a nostalgic experience as they have us returning to a bluesy sound, with the harmonica even resurfacing in "Take It Back". But overall, we can really see the change in the music and its evolution into something much more abstract, particularly in songs like "We're Going Wrong", which express instrumental indulgence into atmospheric textures. Even the lyrical content is being taken much more seriously in Disraeli Gears, as we find Cream cooperating with poet, Pete Brown, who adds a sense of artistry into the lyrical narratives. Exploring more metaphorical topics while diverging from the sorrowful content of old fashioned Blues. Disraeli Gears is certainly a highly captivating album, and an important stepping stone that helped define Psychedelia.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion
Jail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular EmotionChick Corea The Vigil
Pond (AUS) Hobo RocketBlack Sabbath 13
4.2

May 31st 2012

I hope you guys like the review. comment on thoughts

rockandmetaljunkie
May 31st 2012

Excellent review mate, pos'd.
Cream is one of my all time favorite bands.
Probably the greatest power trio in Rock history.
They influenced countless acts and their legacy will live on for ever.

"Cream's Disraeli Gears is often viewed as one of the pinnacle efforts that helped define
psychedelic music"

I believe that Cream's music was so much more than just Psychedelia and their contribution to music
was far more greater than just defining a specific genre.

May 31st 2012

Thanks and yes i love Cream.
On that sentence i was speaking about this album in particular. but I agree with you, Cream's albums helped defined
several genres, particularly heavy metal.
Anyway thanks for the feedback mate.

ZedO
May 31st 2012

damn great stuff, clapton and friends rule!! pos, mate. I hope you'll review derek trucks band album, songlines, it's great bluesrock stuff with a more slide-technique approach.

May 31st 2012

Hey Zed. I actually might review Derek Truck's albums. He's the reason I tried to learn how to play slide guitar work.

ZedO
May 31st 2012

well, you would do it, haha, I see the band got only few reviews ;)

JamieTwort

Omaha

Your best review yet, man. Nice, nice work. :]]

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

May 31st 2012

Awesome review during my quick read version. Gotta get ready for work right now. But lol from when I crashed last night to wake up there's like ten new reviews on the front page. Got some reading to do. But yeah this awesome and I'm gonna read more on depth on my first break today. Pos

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ItsOnlyWords
May 31st 2012

Good review and equally awesome album. pos

xfearbefore
May 31st 2012

Good review man, I'll pos. Still their best work and "Tales of Brave Ulysses" is possibly the single greatest "psychedelic rock" song ever in my book. Everything about it is just...poetic. Whole album rules though.

Digging: Tiger Army - Tiger Army

random
May 31st 2012

"Sunshine Of Your Love" is great.

YoYoMancuso

outside my window

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Cygnatti
December 24th 2013

whoa rly gud dig, kill! :o

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You