Enslaved
Thorn

good

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
May 30th, 2012 | 11 replies

Review Summary: With the release of Thorn, Enslaved have shown their fan base the ongoing consistency of their progressive route with their music.

For a two song EP that runs about ten minutes in length the listener sees Enslaved showing no lack of inspiration. Instead of having clean vocals from Herbrand Larsen, we instead see an onslaught of harsh black metal vocals from the main vocalist/bass player, Grutle Kjellson. With the complete absence of any melodic guitar hooks, solos, or riffs; this time around we see ambience take place as the lead melody throughout the ten minute journey. For instance in the song “Striker” Enslaved reaches out in the book of progressive music and incorporates a haunting Native American like flute for the second half of the song as the main melody. Generally, while both songs are meant to be experiments in the sense for band to reach out in different territories musically, it also seems to be an experimental release to see how the fan base will react to ambience intruding their everlasting evolving sound. Without having a knee-jerk reaction, and maintaining openness to new ideas musically, the listener should have a positive view point for Thorn as a full.

To sum it all up, Thorn shows Enslaved’s fan base that they can still pullout new ideas that don’t falter into infamy, but instead show that they still have potential that will be broadcasted through new material. One can only wonder what the next full length release will bring.

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad
3.2
good

May 30th 2012

A very short EP deserves a short review.

May 30th 2012

It's pretty interesting, you should waste 10 minutes of your life and listen to it on youtube.

Tyrael

20893 Comments

To sum it all up, Thorn shows Enslaved’s fan base that they can still pullout new ideas that don’t falter into infamy, but instead show that they still have new ideas that will broadcast through new material.

hmm

May 30th 2012

woops I usually catch stuff like that when I'm proof reading it...... sorry for the repetition.... I'll fix that later whenever it will let me.

YUJOS
May 30th 2012

The riff in Strike is so haunting...

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

May 30th 2012

Good review pOs. I gotta hear this.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

Hyperion1001
May 30th 2012

its weird thats all i really can say about it

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

May 30th 2012

Bro they deleted my laid thread so fast. The fuk

da faq?

Hyperion1001
June 18th 2014

in retrospect this is really awesome

enslaved might not be the most consistent band ever but when theyre good theyre really good

Tyrael