Enslaved
Thorn

good

by King Henry VIII USER (64 Reviews)
May 30th, 2012 | 13 replies

Review Summary: With the release of Thorn, Enslaved have shown their fan base the ongoing consistency of their progressive route with their music.

For a two song EP that runs about ten minutes in length the listener sees Enslaved showing no lack of inspiration. Instead of having clean vocals from Herbrand Larsen, we instead see an onslaught of harsh black metal vocals from the main vocalist/bass player, Grutle Kjellson. With the complete absence of any melodic guitar hooks, solos, or riffs; this time around we see ambience take place as the lead melody throughout the ten minute journey. For instance in the song “Striker” Enslaved reaches out in the book of progressive music and incorporates a haunting Native American like flute for the second half of the song as the main melody. Generally, while both songs are meant to be experiments in the sense for band to reach out in different territories musically, it also seems to be an experimental release to see how the fan base will react to ambience intruding their everlasting evolving sound. Without having a knee-jerk reaction, and maintaining openness to new ideas musically, the listener should have a positive view point for Thorn as a full.

To sum it all up, Thorn shows Enslaved’s fan base that they can still pullout new ideas that don’t falter into infamy, but instead show that they still have potential that will be broadcasted through new material. One can only wonder what the next full length release will bring.

Galneryus VETELGYUSEdguy Space Police - Defenders of the Crown
Powerwolf Preachers of the NightDark Tranquillity Construct
Gamma Ray Master of ConfusionStratovarius Nemesis
3.1
good

May 30th 2012

A very short EP deserves a short review.

May 30th 2012

It's pretty interesting, you should waste 10 minutes of your life and listen to it on youtube.

Tyrael

20988 Comments

To sum it all up, Thorn shows Enslaved’s fan base that they can still pullout new ideas that don’t falter into infamy, but instead show that they still have new ideas that will broadcast through new material.

hmm

May 30th 2012

woops I usually catch stuff like that when I'm proof reading it...... sorry for the repetition.... I'll fix that later whenever it will let me.

YUJOS
May 30th 2012

The riff in Strike is so haunting...

Digging: Melechesh - Enki

Hyperion1001

19518 Comments

its weird thats all i really can say about it

Digging: Robert Hood - Minimal Nation

da faq?

Hyperion1001
June 18th 2014

19518 Comments

in retrospect this is really awesome

enslaved might not be the most consistent band ever but when theyre good theyre really good

Tyrael
June 18th 2014

20988 Comments

yeah its quite underrated

FrozenVain
March 11th 2015

"enslaved might not be the most consistent band ever"

Artuma

this seems v interesting

Digging: The Saddest Landscape - Lift Your Burdens High For This is Where We Cross

Totengott
March 11th 2015

I found it bland as hell, but you should check it out.

Digging: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

TalonsOfFire
March 11th 2015

This EP might not be super awesome but I honestly think Enslaved is one of the most consistent bands in metal. [2]