Tragedy
Darker Days Ahead

2.0
poor

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
May 28th, 2012 | 28 replies | 6,968 views

Review Summary: aka. Darker Days Are Already Here

Tragedy - Darker Days Ahead

If the past couple years have taught me anything it’s that crust punk couldn’t give any less of a *** about legacy; I mean, just look at Amebix. But moving on, Portland melodic crust act Tragedy is no stranger of the limelight, with some of the pinnacle of their style of music in the same vein as From Ashes Rise and previous band His Hero Is Gone. Seriously, how many bands are practically a copy/paste of everything Vengeance sounded like? Jokes aside, a six year period of general inactivity have done Tragedy little in terms of reinvigorating their sound, as fourth full length Darker Days Ahead proves. While the band have always had a knack for finding the middle ground between relentless, pissed off punk, and fairly melodic song structuring, Darker Days Ahead is an unfortunate meeting ground for the worst aspects of both these attributes, combined with exhausted song writing and an overall tired sounding band.

Before diving in, it’s worthy to note that Darker Days Ahead isn’t exactly a complete one-eighty on everything Tragedy have sounded like. The overall soul of the band is still intact; the dual vocal attack, passages and riffs chalk full of melody and aggression still run rampant throughout the album. What makes the album at most mediocre is just how lackluster it all sounds now. Darker Days Ahead is like drawing a straw-poll out of a hat, hoping for the big stick, but ultimately finding out they’ve all been cut. Even at only nine tracks long it couldn’t end any sooner. Starting off the album with “No Cemeteries Here” and “Close At Hand”, Tragedy give what seems like a half-assed attempt Cult Of Luna worship or an odd tribute to Dismember, all the backed by an extremely tiring vocal performance that doesn’t compliment the music in any way. Songs like “The Feeding Hour” and the eponymously titled track do their best renditions of Swedish death metal but ultimately fail to create anything noteworthy. It’s true that the Tragedy that most fans have become accustomed to doesn’t seem to be present on Darker Days Ahead: their legacy may already be secured but with and with an album like this it will only help to reinforce the impact that Tragedy had on us in the years past.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsBlack Breath Sentenced To Life
good

Vengeance

cvlts
May 28th 2012

maybe you guys'll like this more than me

sorry for not reviewing more.

Adabelle
May 28th 2012

Nope, sux, solid review, have absolutely zero desire to listen to this again, ever

Maniac!
May 28th 2012

lol didn't know they were gonna put out new material

won't even bother

HSThomas

riff fuck off.

Album pretty much contains the worst aspects of Tragedy. Great Review.

ApplicationToHeaven
May 28th 2012

Just listened to a song from this and it was horribly bland, always thought Vengeance was a little overrated though

illmitch

s/t > vengeance

Blackbelt54
May 28th 2012

I love Vengeance it's my favorite crust album

Probably won't even listen to this

Digging: Cayetana - Nervous Like Me

cvlts
May 28th 2012

i'd argue which tragedy album is best but tbh i dont care so

trix4dix
May 28th 2012

are there phantom of the opera riffs in this like in conflicting ideas

alachlahol
May 28th 2012

dont understand the references you make to swedish death but this album is definitely lame

Owantjaaaa
May 28th 2012

Inb4 "this album is a tragedy"

Digging: Roses Never Fade - Devil Dust

Xenophanes
May 28th 2012

Did not fucking know about this!!!

But damn it sucks to read all the negative feedback : /

ShadowRemains

20687 Comments

has no replay value whatsoever

listen to the new hammers album, it destroys this

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Rail
May 28th 2012

Ugh, balls. I was looking forward to this.

Digging: Phaeleh - A World Without

Owantjaaaa
May 29th 2012

Yea me too :[

Kris.
June 1st 2012

yea i definitely tried to like this but then after the first time i listened to it i was like

okay
once was enough

XingKing
June 28th 2012

Why was there no word that this album even existed? It completely flew under the radar and anyone who has heard it seems to hate it. I'm listening to it right now. Seems... underwhelming.

despo
August 29th 2012

What the fuck??? I was so happily surprised by this album. I think it's by far the best tragedy album and probably the best crust album this decade. The have progressed from the melodic d-beat style.

I always liked the slow dark and heavy parts the best by Tragedy and here it's all about the heavy and even atmospheric stuff, it kinda sounds like the best parts of bolt thrower, amebix, neurosis, and even some his hero is gone. This is just awesome and I can't believe what I'm reading from you guys. Seriously you are missing out something here??

XingKing
August 30th 2012

This is definitely the worst material they've ever made. The dark and heavy parts were so enjoyable on the previous releases because they were used effectively. Obviously they didn't know how to properly compose an entire album of that type of material and gave us one of the most disappointing albums from an amazing band that I can recall in a long time. It's a shame it took too long to make too. Had it been released a year or two after Nerve Damage, you might be able to say "oh they're just experimenting and they'll bounce back" but it took them six whole years to deliver this garbage...

Xenophanes
September 26th 2012

I completely forgot about this.