Architects
Daybreaker

by Michael B. USER (18 Reviews)
May 28th, 2012 | 478 replies | 21,237 views

Review Summary: Architects may have made some mistakes prior to this, but in the here and now they're right back on track- in most ways, at least.

Having captured the attention of the metalcore scene at large with 2009’s monstrous “Hollow Crown”, Architects attempted to distance themselves from the movement with last year’s “The Here and Now”, a far more melodic and commercially inclined collection that never quite got off the ground the way they’d hoped. This failure to infiltrate the mainstream rock scene rather unsurprisingly led to a swift about face, and the band have said that “Daybreaker” sees them going back to ‘being Architects again’.

Early signs were encouraging. ‘Devil’s Island’ (released last year and now included on “Daybreaker”) is one of the best songs this band have ever written, perfectly fusing the crushing riffs of “Hollow Crown” with the more mature melodicism of “THAN” without sounding contrived. First real single “These Colours Don’t Run” took a more straightforward approach that hit hard and fast, effectively recalling the power of the Architects of old.

That the band is firing on all cylinders here in a musical sense is obvious. The guitar work is typically excellent throughout ("Alpha Omega" in particular is rammed with huge technical riffs), while drummer Dan Searle almost steals the show on the spacey “Truth, Be Told” with his frantic fills. Sam Carter remains one of the strongest vocalists in modern metal, adding a raspy form of scream-singing to his already impressive repertoire of passioned shrieks and soaring cleans.

There is certainly a lot here to get excited about. From the brutal technical riffs of ‘Alpha Omega’ and stop-start dynamics of ‘Even If You Win, You’re Still a Rat’ to the achingly beautiful vocal harmonies of cinematic ballad ‘Behind the Throne’ and closer ‘Unbeliever’, this is an album that never fails to be impressive. There are of course also numerous problems here, and sadly some problems that have dogged Architects throughout their career.

Both the music and Carter’s screamed vocals are irritatingly samey when taking the album as a whole, and the ballad-like tracks can’t help stop the feeling of monotony that “Daybreaker” gives off. At least they had the good sense to limit the runtime to 42 minutes, as any longer could have killed this album. It’s also worth nothing that the strings and piano employed here do add colour to many tracks, but are ridiculously overused and also used very similarly within songs.

In terms of updating the “classic” Architects sound to include the best elements of ‘The Here and Now’, the band has achieved a great success. There’s certainly room for improvement, but it’s easy to forget that this is still a young band after releasing 5 albums. Taking more time on their next album would be very beneficial, and with ‘Daybreaker’, the band have given themselves a great starting point to work from.

Deftones White PonyRolo Tomassi Astraea
Muse The 2nd LawWhile She Sleeps This Is The Six
Green Day 21st Century BreakdownBlack Veil Brides Set the World on Fire
3.3
welljesuschrist (4.5)
Hugely underrated....

JAXETA (3)
Basically what we expected...

fish CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Architects slip further into an identity crisis which threatens the quality of their music...

Rail
May 28th 2012

"Sam Carter remains one of the strongest vocalists in modern metal..."

Yeah, that's completely wrong. On both occasions when I've seen this band, his sheer awfulness has practically ruined their set.

Okay review though.

Digging: Tipper - Forward Escape

InFiction
May 28th 2012

Pretty well written, even though I disagree mostly.
I'll pos.

Digging: Braid - No Coast

May 28th 2012

Decent review, although Behind the Throne blows.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Each paragraph is 2 sentences. So uhmm yeah do something about that

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

May 28th 2012

And you don't need the best tracks list at the bottom. As long as you make I clear in the actual review which tracks are stand-outs

What Chuck said.

Also, claiming that 'Sam Carter remains one of the strongest vocalists in modern metal' is just ludicrous, his vocals are so forced at times on this.

May 28th 2012

Sam used to be a phenomenal vocalist. He isn't bad not by any means but differently not as good as before

May 28th 2012

He's still good, but those Ruin vocals, oh how I miss them.

Agreed. He was good.

NorwichScene
May 28th 2012

Why show us great clean vocals on THAN then give average / below par vocals on this? The screams are good if a bit forced

Digging: Flood of Red - Throw

Strider
May 28th 2012

I like his new sing-scream thing. it's pretty fun and gives good effect to some songs

It's different

DurzoBlint
May 28th 2012

Better than their previous effort, but HC still the one I enjoyed most. The production kind of annoys
me at times though.

DropdeadWHA
May 28th 2012

Could never get into Hollow Crown, never been a fan of Architects tbh. But for some reason I just clicked with this album. Also, Sam is terrible live. Singing sounds much better on the record as some probably would expect.

PurpleDino
May 28th 2012

you say that he's "one of the strongest vocalists in modern metal" and then go on to say he's samey, make up your mind

otherwise it's an okay review, some sentences read awkwardly though

silentstar
May 28th 2012

I'm actually listening to this album at the moment, and have to admit that it's really enjoyable. While not as technical as Hollow Crown, it is a clear progression from the sound they established on The Here and Now. Also, the album seems to have quite a few subtle points which makes it pretty interesting.

AllGabrielsAreGlass
May 28th 2012

Where should I start with this band? Ive seen them on the front page a lot recently and they piqued my interest.

wacknizzle
May 28th 2012

Yeah, I think this album is very enjoyable, honestly more than any other Architects album overall. I probably would have hated this album a couple of years ago because of how I was then but only because I wouldn't have listened to it enough. The ambient tracks on this album are actually really good imo.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

RosaParks
May 28th 2012

Will they reclaim their (hollow) crown? Or become the architects of their own downfall?

silentstar
May 28th 2012

It all depends on what kind of music you like. If you like technically-proficient music, check out Ruin or The Hollow Crown. if you prefer a more streamlined and accessible sound, check out Daybreaker.

From Hollow Crown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZWEAhj3Uo