Codeine
Barely Real

by better ask trix USER (3 Reviews)
May 28th, 2012 | 15 replies | 2,718 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "You could never disappoint me, because you're who you are."

Emotion. One of the most important aspects of humanity. The thing that separates us from other animals. This is something that all excellent music has. Excellent music is imbued with the artists’ raw emotion, how they are feeling, and their mind state. It’s what separates the true “art” from being just “fun to listen to”. All it takes is the first few soulful twangs from John Engle’s Telecaster on “Realize” to show that this is one hell of an emotional album.

1990’s Glitterhouse release Frigid Stars garnered critical acclaim from those that heard it, but at the time it was mostly under the radar. It was characterized by a distinct, almost completely unique sound for music at the time: John Engle’s slow, plodding overdriven minor chord progressions interspersed with clean passages, and Chris Brokaw’s dynamic yet equally slow drumming. Although Stephen Immerwahr’s unusually deep and thought provoking lyrics combined with his unique, apathetic voice were probably the most recognizable part of Codeine’s traditional sound.

Few people that I know have heard Barely Real, even those that are Codeine fans. At the time in 1992, other “slowcore” bands had not yet formed, and grunge was gaining mainstream popularity. Codeine favored dynamic soft-loud shifts, and they did so without sounding like grunge or any other indie rock at the time. The first Red House Painters and Low records show tremendous influence from Codeine. Barely Real is an almost cripplingly depressing record, full of bitter lyrics and alienating themes. Immerwahr’s chorus of “I feel like string, I feel like nothing” on the title track shows perfectly just what the band was trying to capture.

Immerwahr also covers topics such as unconditional love and friendships in his lyrics. Mostly he is very blunt, singing exactly what he means instead of using metaphor. It does not take much mental processing to understand what he is talking about, but this detracts nothing from his meanings, which cut straight to the heart and can easily be identified with. The alienation and depression in the lyrical of themes of the record coincide perfectly with the doomish tempo of the instruments. Engle’s guitar work is paints a bleak, drab picture, and Immerwahr’s bass keeps a steady heavy low end throughout. It even gets especially crunchy and Slint-like on “Promise of Love”, a track that sounds like it could’ve been on Spiderland.

The emotions run wild on Barely Real, oozing from every guitar chord, drum hit, and vocal line. Codeine’s characteristic sound is at its best and most refined here. Listening to Barely Real for the first time was an almost spiritual experience, similar to how I felt hearing Zelienople’s His/Hers or Tim Hecker’s Harmony in Ultraviolet. While stylistically nothing like either of those albums, I consider it a classic EP and highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of any music.

The White Birch

Lowborn

To Be Kind

Reflektor

May 28th 2012

so good, prob didnt do it justice though

May 28th 2012

also W. is a piano piece played by David Grubbs of Squirrel Bait, a full band version of it titled Wird is on their next album The White Birch

Spare

SUCH A FUCKING RAD ALBUM thank you for this

kount

COOL COLLEGE WRITE UP

LOL YUR DIG

May 29th 2012

and fuck yeah spare what else would u expect from trix

Spare
May 29th 2012

idk prob sum college apps

May 29th 2012

no college apps these days only job apps fukin summer

kount

and no shirt everyday

May 29th 2012

no shirt to work day hey delivery its my fukin pecs bitch now wheres my tip

May 29th 2012

it's better but only slightly

June 14th 2012

and still nobody's listened to this, clowns

porch
September 5th 2012

this is really good, dunno why i put off hearing it for so long

promise of love is an mx-80 sound cover just fyi

ApplicationToHeaven
January 26th 2013

this is good but W. is so much better on the white birch

LivingThrowaway
October 5th 2013

"Emotion. One of the most important aspects of humanity. The thing that separates us from other animals."

I don't really understand this section here.... Are you implying humans are the only animal/organism that have the ability to feel emotion? If so, you are also (more or less) implying that all other organisms/animals cannot be happy, sad, etc. All animals have the ability to change their state of mind based on their individual circumstances. The emotional response may not be as complex as a human's but it is still nonetheless an emotional response.

Aside from that, this is a good review for a great album.