Doomtree
False Hopes XII

by pcar USER (4 Reviews)
May 28th, 2012 | 6 replies | 2,412 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A refreshing Hip-Hop album.

Different genres affect me in various ways. A solid Metal album can make me feel like I should be a viking, a great Indie Rock album can make me want to bob my head to the (often) self-produced goodness, and a gorgeous Post-Rock album can conjure up images of incredible landscapes. Hip-Hop is simply refreshing. A great Hip-Hop album is like drinking a perfectly-cooled glass of water after a day of being thirsty. Doomtree's debut is that glass of water.

This album isn't going to blow anybody away as being innovative or mind-blowing, but it's just goddamn refreshing. The jazz and soul influences in the production come out at the right times. The lyrics are introspective and intelligent, but not too much to digest such that it's only an album for specific moods. None of the rappers have awkward flow. It's got a strong underground feel without seeming like some crappy mixtape slapped together with equipment from the 70's. This album goes great as background for a party or as something to listen to on the bus. Songs can be listened to as standalone tracks, but the overall feel of the album from beginning to end is just as good. Doomtree fire on all cylinders on their debut album.

Standout tracks: Slow Burn, Flex, Lucky, Savion Glover, A Hundred Fathers
Avoid: If & When

Acanthus
May 28th 2012

Been giving Swollen Member's a look, if you like hip hop I'd assume they're worth your time.

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

MichaelSnoxall
May 28th 2012

Yeah, these guys are great.

TheDjehuty
May 28th 2012

Doomtree has yet to put out an album that lacks substance.

Omaha

Nice review, this sounds really cool stuff. Listening to "Savion Glover" :]

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

pcar

"Swollen Member's"

Checking it out. So far it's alright.

DatBeefPudding
May 8th 2013

favourite song off this is "Veteran", i love Dessa and her flow. Sad that she doesn't rap on her solo albums... I'll have to settle for Doomtree, and her collabs on P.O.S's albums.