Clams Casino
Rainforest

by the music god USER (21 Reviews)
May 27th, 2012 | 56 replies | 5,711 views

Review Summary: The perfect EP for daydreaming.

Many of you may know Clams Casino from various songs of ASAP Rocky and Lil B and think that he makes good beats and think nothing else of it. You shouldn’t. Clams Casino is much more than that and this EP, “Rainforest”, proves just this. He is able to free himself of the rappers that once restrained him and create something more melodious and beautiful than he ever could have done otherwise.

Rainforest is a fairly short affair, clocking in at about 18 and a half minutes long, but that works perfectly to the EPs advantage. It does not drag on endlessly and the tracks stand out more than they would have on a longer release. The EP also is much more focused than “Instrumental Mixtape”, which he released earlier in 2011, because, well, it’s not just the instrumental track behind various Lil B, Soulja Boy and ASAP Rocky songs. This EP paints a hazy lush green landscape with its fuzzy lo-fi production and relaxing melodies. Many of the tracks, for example “Natural” and “Treetop”, have a strange bouncy, dreamlike effect to them that makes you feel as if you are floating down a river. Songs like “Gorilla” and “Drowning”, however, are a little more oriented in his typical hip-hop production style than the other songs on the EP. They almost seem like they were beats but he decided to keep them for this EP. Although “Gorilla” and “Drowning” are weaker than the rest of the EP they are still solid but do wear down on you more than the other tracks and don’t have a huge replay value to them.

Overall this is a fantastic little EP. Although it is much different than his other works it is stronger and has more emotion. Although it does have 2 weaker tracks it is still powerful and atmospheric. If you want some amazing music to relax to or just want to hear some good new music then you should check out “Rainforest” by Clams Casino because you will be hearing about him a lot more in the future.

James Ferraro Suki GirlzPink Floyd Ummagumma
Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002
Cerekloth In the Midst of Life We Are In DeathAction Bronson Saaab Stories

short and idk.

sifFlammable
May 27th 2012

i think you could edit the first paragraph - we shoudln't think that he's only good at making beats, but what he does here is make good beats..?

anyway i was curious about this album - what do you mean this is more "focused" than the instrumental mixtape? my gripe with instrumental mixtape was that it had a lot of hit / misses with the tracks; from the way you describe it here (60% good 40% bad) it seems pretty much the same in that sense

May 27th 2012

Thanks about the first paragraph haha
and this is about 90% hit 10% miss. Even the 2 tracks I wasn't a huge fan of were good and the album flows very well if you listen to it straight through.

....

InFiction
May 27th 2012

Glad this got a review, I love this EP. Treetop is fucking beautiful.

Digging: Braid - No Coast

ItsOnlyWords
May 27th 2012

Pos I might check this out

Deviant.
May 27th 2012

Thought this was really boring

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

Rev
May 27th 2012

I really dug it at first but then realized it was just okay

May 27th 2012

I'm still digging it. I still listen to this a lot actually.

Romulus

i prefer 'gorilla' and 'drowning' to the other tracks whatever

Blackbelt54

Love this EP

Pentagon

1998 Comments

I really dug it at first but then realized it was just okay (2)

Good review though, he's a solid producer.

gabethepiratesquid

best 2011 EP

dbizzles
May 28th 2012

Clams helps me stomach hip-hop I would normally not like and this is just a great display as to why he pwns.

May 29th 2012

Yeah I can't wait until he releases some more solo stuff, especially if it sounds like this.

dbizzles
June 1st 2012

In contrast to the review, I actually like Gorilla and Drowning the most on this release.

kingsoby1
June 1st 2012

didn't really like this a lot

June 1st 2012

Did you like it a little?

toxicgarbageisland1
June 6th 2012

this is unbelievably good.

June 9th 2012