Black Veil Brides
We Stitch These Wounds

by TheFatRapper USER (5 Reviews)
May 26th, 2012 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Surprisingly average

When I first heard of Black Veil Brides I didn't think too much about them. I listened to their song "Knives and Pens" on a friend's Myspace page back around mid 2009. My first initial thoughts were another scene kid band that will die out in about another year or so. Well so far they lasted much longer than I expected and after listening to their debut album "We Stitch These Wounds" I have one thing to say, it's surprisingly not bad.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think this album is good, there are many things wrong with this album but overall it's not a bad start. But I like to start my reviews on a positive note so I'll list the things that aren't bad with this album first.

First off the band really knows how to play their instruments. One thing i was really surprised by was the fact that there are almost no breakdowns in the album, in fact they seem to replace all the breakdowns with solos... a very large amount of solos. In fact almost every song on the album has a solo somewhere in it. Some people may find this a bad thing but I don't, the solos show off a lot the band's musical talent. And I really enjoy their sound, it reminds me a lot of the older Avenged Sevenfold and Escape The Fate songs.

Now on to the negatives. First the songs all have a very similar formula, a lot of the songs sounds very much a like and it can get a little boring listening to the album all the way through. I pretty much knew where the solo in a song would be after about track 3. Normally this would be a much bigger negative but since this is their debut I'll let this one slide.

The lyrics are what you would typically find in generic post-hardcore bands. Talking about depression and such, but they're not bad enough to ruin the album.

But what really brings this band down is the lead vocalist Andy Sixx's terrible vocals. His voice is so monotone, boring and at some points down right unbearable that this album can be really hard to listen to all in one sitting. His screams aren't all that much better either, sounding very whiny rather than aggressive.

Overall though "We Stitch These Wounds" wasn't a bad start for Black Veil Brides but it certainly could have been much better.

1.9
poor

Sirob
May 26th 2012

man or woman on the cover? cant tell cause if its a woman it looks like the people in the band

May 26th 2012

Sirob it's a painting of the vocalist. I like this review, not flashy in delivery, you get straight to the point. Though it borders on boring, because a little more description, maybe a specifically good song or bad song would suffice.

Plus the vocals get better on the second album a lot. Pos'd your review.

May 26th 2012

I have no idea what this band sounds like I just know they're on guitar and metal magazine covers.

May 26th 2012

Storm in a Teacup, they sound like a rock band from 30 years ago with much better production and a twist in their sound here and there. Considering your music taste, i'd give it a spin.

mastille

is this asking alexandria

that's the impression I'm getting from their knives and pens video

May 26th 2012

Okay but I'm gonna be insulted if it's shitty lol

May 26th 2012

If you're a regular on this website you'll probably think it's shitty.

ethnocentrism

Personally: 2.5

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

mastille
May 26th 2012

Yeah that vocalist sounds and looks like a major douche

Japan and visual kei are leagues above this, even with the guyliner

BodomThrashMachine
May 26th 2012

Rating is infinitely too high. Decent review. Didn't vote.

NWOAHM666
May 26th 2012

Who the hell is giving this 5?

VisionsFromTheDarkSide

2022 Comments

Don't think this deserves a 1 like most people give it, it's not like it's devoid of talent, the guitarists are decent, just a shame they're not creative whatsoever. Having said that, it's still a very poor album

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

May 26th 2012

I just listened to half of a song and I couldn't finish.

BodomThrashMachine

@ASnideRemark

Yeah but IcyLilly is just a troll. I mean the kind of retards who think black veil fags or any other commercialcore deserves more than 4/5 don't usually care for any other music. IcyLilly basically positively reviewed everything we think is horrid, putrid shit and negatively reviewed some pretty highly-rated albums. Obvious troll.

Owantjaaaa
May 26th 2012

IcyLilly isn't even a funny troll

Digging: The Banner - Greying

The7thVermicide
May 26th 2012

There is no point in reviewing this thing once again. People know that this album sucks dick , band is atrocious ,everybody knows that

MeatSalad
May 26th 2012

Why this band gets any attention at all is beyond me. They're just a shitty metalcore band

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs (And Around in Your Heart and on

KSK1
May 26th 2012

Agree with the majority in that people should stop reviewing this crap. Band sucks, point taken.

MeatSalad
May 26th 2012

They're to going to become like justin bieber, scores of haters that just add onto their success by giving them so much attention.