OFWGKTA
The OF Tape Vol. 2

by Eric Greenman USER (8 Reviews)
May 25th, 2012 | 24 replies | 2,718 views

Review Summary: OFWGKTA releases a few fantastic tracks surrounded by a bunch of mediocre ones.

Ah, the infamous odd future, OF, OFWGKTA, or whatever they are going by these days. The hip-hop group has become well known throughout the rap community, and it is safe to say that a lot is being expected from these guys. The thing with OFWGKTA is you can never tell when to take them seriously. They often get criticized for talking about controversial topics such as rape, homophobia, and drugs (then again who isn't rapping about that stuff these days?). Tyler (leader of OF) has came out and said it isn't something to take seriously, but if it is mentioned in almost everything song, how can we not? Now, I really don't get offended by any of that stuff, my problem with it is that it gets so unoriginal you just can't listen anymore. It's like Kanye rapping about himself, or the Game rapping about other famous people; you just get flat out tired of listening to it. However, as much as those topics are brought up in this album, a new topic comes about through this album, money. They are getting paid these days, and they want the world to know about it (so much for not caring about the cash and giving away their tapes for free). It's not that this album lacks originality, it just lacks consistency. Seriously, you will go from a track with great production and great flow to a song with piss poor production (I'm looking at you Left Brain) and mediocre rapping.

When this group gets brought up, the room usually splits in half. It's either "these guys are awful! Why can't they just go away? They are so overrated!", or it's "I love OF! Tyler is such a genius! Earl has such a future!". While I myself lean back and forth with this, I mostly find myself enjoying them and wanting them to do well. There are lots of people/groups in odd future, but I find it much easier to break them down to four groups. There's the legit rappers (Tyler, Earl, Hodgy, Domo Genesis, Mike G), the producers (Left brain, Tyler again), the R&B influences (Frank Ocean, the Internet), and then of course the rappers with no purpose (Taco, Jasper, L-Boy). All were in this tape, but three of them really stuck out to me, and they would be Tyler, Hodgy, and Domo. I found myself really being impressed with this three. I have always liked Hodgy Beats and Tyler, but I always kind of considered Domo just another weed rapper. He proved me wrong on this record though. The only problem I had with these three was the overuse of Hodgy Beats. We all know he can rap, but I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that I'd rather have more Tyler and Earl than Hodgy beats on every damn song.

I am going to dive into this album and review every song track by track; however, I am going to first talk about a few songs that will not be mentioned throughout the track by track. These songs include Ya Know by the Internet, White by Frank Ocean, We Got Bitches, Real Bitch, Analog 2, and of course the song Hi. I don't care for R&B too much, so it would be unfair for me to review songs such as Ya Know and White. I can however say that in the song “White” Frank really shows his lyricism. We Got Bitches is a funny song, but the production is nothing special. Real Bitch was also a funny song, but the flow was horrendous and production was poor. Analog 2 really showcases Tyler's production ability, but I never was a fan of the first analog so this was nothing special to me. Lastly, there is the song “Hi”. I don't really need to explain why I am not talking about "Hi", do I?

Bitches
By Hodgy Beats and Domo Genesis
Produced by Left Brain

This is probably the very first song when I was really impressed with Domo Genesis. The song is basically a rap off between Hodgy and Domo, and to be honest it is one of the better tracks off the tape when it comes to the flow and actual rapping. There is just one glaring problem with this song, and that's the beat. It's a decent beat, but it is literally the same exact beat repeated throughout the entire song. Left Brain has always been a decent producer, but he pretty much prevented this song from getting a 9/10 in my eyes.

NY (Ned Flander
By Hodgy Beats and Tyler the Creator
Produced by Tyler, the Creator

This has to be by far the most underrated song on this album. Heck, this might be the most underrated Odd Future song of all time! Sure it's a single and even has a music video to go with it, but how often do you hear people talk about this song when this tape is brought up? I would say almost never! As much as Left Brain's production annoyed me in this tape, Tyler's production was impressive to say the least. After releasing Goblin people were on him for not having good production and bad beats, but he really stepped it up in this tape. The beat on this song is sick, and the piano lick that Tyler plays in the background fits the song perfectly. Aside from the production, the rapping on it is pretty darn good as well. Tyler and Hodgy both had one of their better verses on the album. The only thing that bothered me in this track was the girl who came right in the middle of the freaking song and started to speak in Spanish. That part was really annoying. Overall though one of the greater tracks to come off this tape.

Forrest Green
By Mike G
Produced by Left Brain

Mike G is probably the least recognizable member of Odd future, and that's shouldn't be so. Mike G has some great flow and rhymes, which is showcased in this track, but is often brought down by lousy production around him. This song is no exception. As many of you reading this review can probably already tell, I am not exactly the biggest Left Brain fan. Don't get me wrong, I think he's perfect for Hodgy in Mellowhype, I just often found myself complaining about his beats throughout this tape. This beat is probably one of the worst on the album. It is literally three notes played over and over again. Meh, neh, meh neh neh neh neh. Give me a break. It really is sad too because Mike G has some great lines on this track (Lose their footing like they were gluttons with diabetes). Overall, average track with bad production.

6/10

Lean
By Hodgy Beats and Domo Genesis
Produced by Left Brain

This song is a whole lot like the song “Bitches”. It features Hodgy and Domo again rapping back and forth at each other, and once again Domo continues to impress me. Hodgy was okay in this track, but he started to annoy me about right in this song. Hodgy's intro to the song is pretty hilarious though. As for the production of good old Left Brain, it certainly was better. The beat had sort of a whacky vibe to it which I dug, and it wasn't insanely repetitive like most of his other beats. Overall solid song with improving production of Left Brain.

By Mellowhype
Produced by Left Brain

I wanted to like this song, but I just didn't. At first it sounded like it was going to be a really aggressive song which really interested me, but then I realized the person trying to be aggressive was Hodgy Beats. This was by far his worst track on the album to me. He tried so hard to be tough and aggressive, but really to me ended up just coming off like an idiot. His rhymes are okay, but his flow was really lousy. The song all together was really pretentious and annoying, and it really didn't belong on this tape. The production was okay, but something was missing from it. It was almost a quite beat, when it should have been much more loud and in your face. Easily the worst song off this tape.

5/10

Snow White
By Hodgy Beats and Frank Ocean
Produced by Left Brain

Wow, another Hodgy Beats song. I am so fricken shocked. This song was actually one of my favorites off the album, but not because of Hodgy, more because of Frank's chorus and because of the above average production of Left Brain. The beat was really technical sounding, which you do not see a lot with Odd Future. It fit the song awfully well. It's not like Hodgy was bad on this track, he just had some really sloppy flow at points (but in fact I go from the US to the UK to Amsterdam in like two days). Frank's hook in this song really saved Hodgy from another poor song.

Rella
By Hodgy Beats, Domo Genesis, and Tyler, the Creator
Produced by Left Brain

Left Brain literally redeemed his poor beats on this tape in one song, and that song is Rella. This beat was phenomenal. It's loud, technical, really thick sounding, and just so perfect for an Odd Future song. Hodgy Beats was also on top of his game too. He had his absolute best verse on this track. It was funny, it had great flow, and it the rhymes were good too. Domo Genesis also was great on this track. His verse was relativity short though. Tyler's verse wasn't technical, fast, or anything special like that; it was just hilarious. From the first line of his verse to the end, he had me laughing my ass off. He pretty much talked about his penis the entire track, so it really wasn't impressive. It was just funny. Overall, easily the most popular and best track off this tape.

P
By Hodgy Beats and Tyler, the Creator
Produced by Tyler, the Creator

You know how usually an album has one song that doesn't hit you at first, but eventually grows on you? That was the track “P” for me on this tape. At first I thought it was just a poor attempt at being aggressive again, but then I realized it was actually a great track. Hodgy was pretty good on this track, but it was Tyler that stole the show on this track. One his verse, there was a verse that was scared of pretty much every thing that Tyler mentioned on his verse (which included Casey Anthony, Sandusky, your kid's wet dreams, and Sean Kingston), and that made his verse so much funnier. The beat went so well with Tyler's aggressive vibe in this song. It was sort of a creepy beat with great base. It sounded like something you'd hear in a haunted house. Overall, it is one of the top tracks on the album, and it was Tyler's best verse on the tape.

Hcapd
By Domo Genesis, Hodgy Beats, and Tyler, the Creator.
Produced by Left Brain

This track is (at least to me) the most boring track on the album. The beat is average, and the rapping was pretty average as well. Domo's verse is okay, and Hodgy is practically unnoticeable in this track. Tyler's verse was good, but it was almost stupid to me how he had to make his voice deeper, when it is already an incredibly deep voice. However, Tyler made it so he was almost having a two way conversation with the deeper voice on the track, and that was pretty cool. All together, it was a pretty average track.

Sam (Is Dead)
By Tyler, the Creator and Domo Genesis
Produced by Tyler, the Creator

Tyler sure did make good use out of his piano on this album. This track is for the most part a pretty laid back song. The beat had a really jazzy vibe to it, which you almost never see from Odd Future, and I found that awesome. Domo had a pretty good verse on here, which became very common on this album. The chorus was a nice mixture of horns and Tyler rapping, which he did really well on this track. There was a little bit of a turnoff for this song to me though, and that was the random shouting from what I believe was Jasper and someone else. It just got old. It was sort of like the Spanish girl from NY and P, but maybe a little worse. Overall, Tyler killed it on this track, production wise and flow wise.

Doms
By Domo Genesis
Produced by Tyler, the Creator

You know how I have been raving about Domo throughout this entire track? Well this is the track here that started it. The song is relatively short and it has a fairly basic (yet still good) beat from Tyler, but the track is really just Domo just killing it. His flow is so good on this album, and his rhymes are pretty great as well. I just wish that this track was a little longer.

Oldie
By Odd Future
Produced by Tyler, the Creator

Wow. This is the absolute perfect ending to this tape. This song gives everyone (outside of The Internet and Taco) in OF a verse, and it comes together in one nine minute long song. Before I get into the verses, let me give a brief description of the beat. Tyler gives us a very lounge like beat, that really consist of three or four chords on the piano. It's not dynamic or anything, but it gets the job done. Tyler also starts the song off with his verse, and does a great job. His verse is great, but it isn't as good as one man's verse who was better than the rest, Earl Sweatshirt. He killed it. He had one verse on this entire tape, and it ended up probably being the best verse on the entire album. He has such technicality in his rhymes, and he really showcased that in this track. He also had good lyrical content, which he usually honestly does not have. One verse here that really gets overlooked is Mike G's verse. He came in the track with loads of swag, and he added some technicality to his rhymes too on this verse as well. Everyone else was pretty much average, besides Left Brain who really needs to work on producing and stay away from the microphone.

9/10

I really think that this album had loads of potential, but with the loss of Earl Sweatshirt it really didn't live up to it. It wasn't a bad album by any means, but it could have been a whole lot better. Tracks like P, NY, Rella, Oldie, Doms, and Sam (is Dead) were really just surrounded by a bunch of incredibly average or even bad tracks on this album, which was unfortunate.

However, it is definitely worth a listen or two, and maybe even a purchase.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiSaosin Translating the Name
Earl Sweatshirt DorisBilly Woods History Will Absolve Me
BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2Domo Genesis No Idols
3.2
good
kvltwalter (3)
Polarizing hip-hop force Odd Future do what they do best to mixed results. Haters remain unmoved....

Alex Beebe (3)
It may not show much in the way of growth, but it will quench fans thirst, and that's all they care ...

Ryan Lizotte (3.5)
Odd Future's debut studio album sticks to the theatrics that define them, except with much better pr...

someguest (3.5)
The sound of an emerging generation starting to get paid....

trending hip-hop albums

Run The Jewels

Old

Matangi

05 Fuck Em

May 24th 2012

My first review ever. I understand if there is any criticism, but try to actually help me improve and not just be a dick. Sorry if this is a tad long.

Hep Kat

Ah,

stopped reading

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

Hawks
May 24th 2012

I won't read the review unless you make it longer.

AtavanHalen

THEY TOLD ME I COULD WRITE ANYTHING

SO I WROTE A 50,000 WORD THESIS

fag cover

May 24th 2012

I take it that it's too long.

Oh well, this probably wasn't the best album to do a track by track on...

SgtPepper
May 24th 2012

This is a pretty decent review. It is indeed long, but you do good job of describing the music. Id say keep writing, there is a lot of potential here.

Track by tracks are not very popular, but turning some of your descriptions of the songs and background of the band into, lets say a 3-4 paragraph review- then you would really have something. I'll pos because its your first and there is good stuff here. I hope you keep writing.

Spluger
May 24th 2012

Good review, but sooner or later you should ween yourself off of track by tracks. Pos for a pretty solid first review .

Tupik
May 25th 2012

Like the two previous posters said, try to stay clear of track-by-track reviews. The first part of your review is very good and shows that you know how to lay down the important aspects of the group/album. I completely agree with your dividing of OF into 4 parts, that was nice.

All in all for a first review this is pretty good, it's just that track-by track is pretty tedious to read. Oh, and Forest Green is the best track on here for me so I obv don't agree with that part.

Keep up the good work, the hip-hop section needs it !

BigPleb
May 25th 2012

Not checked this out yet, but I enjoyed 'Radicals' so may have to check it out.

Digging: Killer Be Killed - Killer Be Killed

Counterfeit

how can you hate the beat for Forest Green

Sirob
May 25th 2012

actually read the review and it was pretty good.

ComfortablyDumb

Finally a 3.5 review for this

MalleusMaleficarum
May 25th 2012

He came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swagHe came in the track with loads of swag

JordanS
May 25th 2012

piano on oldie is inspired by a wu tang song right?

Tupik
May 26th 2012

"how can you hate the beat for Forest Green "

Yeah I don't get that either, that beat and song are rad as fuck (especially live)

MalleusMaleficarum

nah its shit

jayfatha
May 26th 2012

Forest Green is one of the best here. Also Left Brain wasn't even that bad on Oldie

May 30th 2012

"Forest Green is one of the best here."

Like I said I loved Mike G on this track, but I just thought the beat was really below average and lazily put together.

"Also Left Brain wasn't even that bad on Oldie"

Certainly wasn't good. The hotel line was possibly the lamest line off this tape.

MeatSalad
August 23rd 2012

Sam is dead is the best on here but even then, it's ruined by the pointless shouting of NIGGERS!