Art By Numbers
Reticence: The Musical

by Elite323 USER (1 Reviews)
May 25th, 2012 | 20 replies | 2,492 views

Review Summary: Art By Number's first release is a sure success with it's radiant and technical use of melodic vocals, sweeping guitars, and crashing drums. The band uses a more unique style to draw the listeners in with the use of music that sounds like classical gone r

Art By Numbers will stun audiences everywhere with the instrumental masterpieces one can only listen to over and over again. Finding the right words to describe the band's debut album is hard since it's not ordinary to describe a Progressive Metal/Rock as beautiful. The album is an arsenal of mind-blowing musical talent that spans many genres. Songs like Reyes show the band's true potential to take the best works and personal styling from roots like Classical or Jazz and morph them into short two and half to three minute mind-blowing pieces. Vocalist and band front man Anthony James helps to lead songs with his gentle, but passionate tenor voice. Coupled with brilliant and mystifying lyrics, Anthony James helps to set a new revolutionary style within the metal underground similar only to bands like Protest the Hero. Guitarists Victor Corral and Dustin Georgeson's musical talent seem to explode into your ears as you hear what could only be described as "arpeggios on fire", something they must have taken from the expert guidance by AJ Minette. Their gentle but skilled guitar sweeps, along with fast, upbeat rhythms easily set the mood for each individual song as they seem to burst forth at the beginning like a well-organized torrent. Listeners will also have the chance to enjoy the quick, leading bass chords by Miguel Ortega who helps to piece the band's sound together. Drummer Dennis Peraza also helps to sync the band together as one with head-banging and heart-pounding crashes against the bass petal and snare. Finally, each sound was mixed, mastered, and produced by Between the Buried and Me and The Human Abstract's own Jamie King.

Overall, the band uses their own, unique style to bring something new to the Progressive Metal scene that few others seem to be capable of perfecting. With screaming vocals, heavy riffs, and ear pounding drums, Art By Numbers will do a good job of blowing your mind. Their heavily technical songs help pull emotion from within you with each song, leading from a soft piece that reminds me of a sonet, like Nightfall or Au Revoir, to a heavy, in-your face kind of song that makes you wanna get up and move like Twelve Days. Other works like The Man In The Box, Memoire Insuffisante, and Venice Is Sinking fully highlight their melodic, heavy orchestration flawlessly. I give this album a 5/5, CLASSIC, due to the artful styling and ease of listening. Most bands can get a good rating for a few excellent songs, but Art By Numbers has an entire soundtrack of awe-inspiring songs and pulls you into your dreams. Love the addition of piano to some of the songs as well.

• lhystory (4)
    A diverse debut album from a talented and promising young band....

Grimbold (4)
    Art By Numbers is melodic prog that is very appealing to the average ear!...

ryunocore (3.5)
    Not without imperfections, an impressive first effort regardless....

DarkMessengerVI (3.5)
    Art By Numbers make a good first impression....

• TheAbsentOne (5)
    "Reticence: The Musical" is a progressive metal masterpiece that combines elements of not ...

Philalethes
May 24th 2012

What is with the fake accounts to review this band? Band is no where near as original as these fake reviews make them out to be.

TooLateToGoBack
May 24th 2012

4 reviews by 4 users who are new.

hmm.

Elite323
May 24th 2012

Not a fake account, just new to Sputnikmusic... But I guess you're free to your own ideas and opinions.

Actually working on the reviews for a couple other albums at the moment too.

TooLateToGoBack

Ah, apologies then.

Elite323
May 24th 2012

Not a problem, I can understand how it may have looked a little fishy but I can assure you; I'm just a new user.

SgtPepper
May 24th 2012

I enjoyed the review. Really good stuff here. I have yet to check this out but youve convinced me that I must.
Have a POS and welcome to Sputnik!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RosaParks
May 24th 2012

Don't mind the people that are going to bash your rating. People here have a weird obsession with
their own opinions
good review

ThunderNeutral21
May 24th 2012

"Coupled with brilliant and mystifying lyrics, Anthony James helps to set a new revolutionary style within the metal underground similar only to bands like Protest the Hero."

jimmykidd
May 24th 2012

damn, how over hyped is this getting?

More overhyped than Dream Theater. *shudders*

Omaha
May 25th 2012

Try to stay away from all the hyperbole in your reviews - just a tip.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

PuddlesPuddles
May 25th 2012

So is the manager man/Human Abstract dude going to hire a guy to dress up as my brother and try to convince me he just discovered a 'totally sick unique prog metal band who tread ground none have before'?

Committed and effective guerilla team at least

jimmykidd
May 25th 2012

sweeps, clean singing and jazz influences! ground breaking.

ThunderNeutral21

sweeps

clean singing

jazz and classical (done how every other band like this executes it)

REVOLUTIONARY MUSICAL ALBUM

itchy
May 25th 2012

All this hype and these absurdly inflated ratings and reviews have really raised an eyebrow for me. I just don't see what is unique, refreshing, interesting, or even good about this album.

ikarus
May 25th 2012

Some of the mixing in this album is painfully bad, not to mention the vocals are a one trick autotuned pony.

This is so far from unique, how the hell do people keep hyping this??

May 25th 2012

The only reason I can understand the hype is if the people who hyped this only listen to Dream Theater and think they have a deep musical understanding and that this is a unique Prog masterpiece.

It's just so boring.

bloodcoveredreaper
July 1st 2012

Contrary to what people are saying, this band is a refreshing addition to prog. They certainly aren't doing anything new. The songs that the band are actually pushing for don't sound like DT, they sound more like modernized 70s prog. There are certainly some songs that share a similarity to DT. However, the ones who tend to be pushing these guys so much seem to be The Human Abstract. To fans of THA, the near lack of screaming is a nice change of pace. This isn't a classic, but it is fantastic.