From Oceans To Autumn
Oath Of Eternals

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
May 21st, 2012 | 40 replies

Review Summary: Post-metal lite

From the ethereally captivating "Beyond a Thousand Years" up until the very end of this hour-long disc, From Oceans To Autumn’s third LP is one solid collection of instrumental atmospheric metal/rock songs. Striking a fine balance between the dynamics of post-metal and the airiness of atmospheric rock, the members of From Oceans To Autumn have crafted something that can be referred to as light post-metal – a style which will most probably appeal to both folks from the post-metal camp and also to those who find the gruff delivery and oppressing soundscapes of sludgier post-metal acts (think: Neurosis, Isis, Year of No Light) a little too much. The key to such an appeal lies in the fact that while the music on Oath of Eternals is airy, somewhat upbeat even, the guitar punch that we associate with post-metal is still there. It’s not as in-your-face as is demonstrated by the aforementioned bands, but walls of sound do still occur and the record is heavy enough to warrant a atmospheric metal tag, rather than a atmospheric rock one. As for any complaints, the spoken word samples, though luckily seldom used, don’t add anything to the full package, and the record as a whole could benefit from having a few more epic moments, even if its smooth delivery is consistent. The instrumentation itself is fine, though. The question from here on out for these guys is whether they can elevate their game to the next level and become as great as one of their main influences, Rosetta. They definitely have the talent for it, they just need to push their compositions further and experiment more; bring more twists and turns into their formula. For now though, Oath of Eternals is a perfectly solid piece of atmospheric metal that shouldn’t go unnoticed.

Atrum Tempestas NeantEluveitie Origins
MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North

Crysis

NICE SOUNDOFF

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

May 21st 2012

Soundoffing my way to the ranks of staff ;)

Crysis
May 21st 2012

the adam thomas method, very nice

scissorlocked
May 21st 2012

this is how sputniks' reviewing should evolve- no more 5-paragraph philosophizing essays

HSThomas
May 21st 2012

Sputnik's turning into AllMusicGuide. Hopefully none of the Staff will develop a fear of ranking anything non-mainstream above a 3 or develop an irrational hatred of Burzum.

Also good Adam Thomas review. Pos'd. Stylin' hard as always I see.

May 21st 2012

Haha, thanks Thomas and you know me, stylin' is what I do.

Omaha
May 22nd 2012

Dat album artwork be so purty.

JohnFire
May 22nd 2012

Anybody else thought of From Autumn To Ashes reading the band name?

LoneWanderer
May 22nd 2012

I love the ambiance in this...We Were Immortal is lovely and it has an insane video on youtube.

SlightlyEpic
May 22nd 2012

That is one of the most uninspired band names I've come across

@ Slightly
The band name actually has a deeper meaning for the band members themselves. I'll see if I can find the article/story where they explain it, I know I saw it a while ago.

Here it is: http://fromoceanstoautumn.tumblr.com/post/10688828679/spiritual

LoneWanderer
May 22nd 2012

I guess the name makes more sense now...blue ridge mountains indeed

Photon
May 22nd 2012

Review has convinced me to check this out. pos

May 22nd 2012

Mission accomplished then ;)

May 22nd 2012

You know what I was striving for, dammit, haha.

AtomicWaste

1997 Comments

This sounds pretty cool.

YetAnotherBrick
May 22nd 2012

post-metal lite? hm, sounds kinda boring haha

Acanthus
May 22nd 2012

Nice review, if I was in the mood for some post-metal atm I'd definitely check this out .

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

Dimor
May 22nd 2012

Ill check this out, Sounds quite cool.