Sigur Ros
Valtari

by Eli EMERITUS
May 18th, 2012 | 99 replies | 10,778 views

Review Summary: Not the "roller" its name suggests.

The ethereal and moving music of Sigur Ros has been, and will probably always be a magnet for every music lover’s robust and contrived set of adjectives; a catch all for every grandiose and bloated statement that wishes to describe the monumental beauty of the Icelandic group. And in a sense, it’s easy to understand why we as music listeners love to emulate in words what Sigur Ros does so well with its music. For years the band has been creating music on its own terms, as it constantly retains its status as a game changer, not only in its respect genre but on the music landscape as a whole. Combining sublime instrumentation with Jónsi Birgisson's achingly pretty vocals, the quartet has a sound all its own despite being the inspiration to countless others. That is why after 2008’s Með suð * eyrum við spilum endalaust, a hiatus left many disheartened at the loss of a truly original musical force. Yet Sigur Ros has returned, a mere four years later, with promise of Valtari being a stripped down and personal affair. With this move, the band has both solidified its unshakeable status as one of the most gorgeous groups out there, but also, it has lost a bit of itself in the process.

Valtari, the heavily touted return of Sigur Ros, enters less triumphantly and more ambivalently then one might hope. This is not the bold statement of revolutionaries, but rather, a quite murmur from a band that’s forgotten what made them who they are. Valtari, despite its gorgeous and serene make-up, is insubstantial to the point that one may fear that it will cave in on itself. In its 54 minutes, nary a moment feels used particularly well. The ebb and flow of the increased ambience makes for a relaxing listen, but it lacks any sort of intrigue. And this is the record’s most profound failing: it is void of any passion or emotion. Sure, just about each track is a lovingly produced and pretty outing, but there isn’t that underlying intensity that has become the band’s trademark. Minimalism can speak profoundly, and at times, even surpass the most grand and bold works. However, without that intrinsic and raw emotive quality, Valtari merely exists as a pretty novelty.

Another area where Valtari misses the mark is in terms of songwriting. Aside from a few selections, the glut of the record is perplexingly forgettable. It feels like ( ) sans the jaw dropping moments that album was filled to the brim with. This is exacerbated but a very homogenous track list with many sections feeling like filler. This all comes to a head with the title track. One has to wonder who was pulling the strings when deciding to make “Valtari” anchor the latter half of the record, as it feels very much like an eight minute piece of filler. Strange sounds give way to ambience, with little transitioning to break up the monotony. However, a few songs, most notably “Varúð” and “Varðeldur,” happen to get it just right. The former feels very much like a standard Sigur Ros track, while the latter sounds like the perfect example of what the band was most likely attempting with this record. Amongst the rest, both songs stand out as the record’s absolute best.

As stated previously, Sigur Ros’ sixth proper record isn’t a complete bust. What it lacks in substance it makes up for with style. Production in and of itself is stunning. Each instrument rings clear and the added electronic influence is truly something to admire. The entire record has a very warm feeling to it; an enveloping quality that draws the listener in. Simplistic piano keys dance around ambient timbre, and one cannot help but feel relaxed and entranced. Sure, it’s mostly fluff, but it is also works well considering. As a light listen, the album exceeds.

Valtari is a beautiful record, which in itself is reason to be pleased with the return of one of the world’s most beloved bands. Yet this return comes with some baggage, as the legendary act who blessed us with some of the most complex and intriguing music of our time isn’t the same band here. Valtari isn’t merely weak in comparison to what came before it"it’s simply an insubstantial and forgettable record overall. So sit down, listen, and be carried away. Just don’t expect to be pleased with the destination.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave a Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

May 17th 2012

1. Technically it was streaming at one point and I've had this written for a bit and I'm impatient http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/

2. I've read this over a few times but I'm a terrible editor so if you see a mistake please inform me, thank you.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

May 17th 2012

The only edit that needs to be made is that fucking rating

Haha, sorry man.

Holy shit you really liked this that much??

May 17th 2012

Also, Sigur Ros is my favorite band, so this 2.5 does in fact mean something.

May 17th 2012

It's the album I wanted Sigur Ros to make after Takk. Plus I listen to a lot of ambient now and I find the atmosphere absolutely haunting on this album. It's not an upfront listen but I'm not gonna fault it for what it's not when what it is is gorgeous.

SgtPepper
May 17th 2012

I havent listened to these guys in so long. I will definitely be sure to check this out.

May 17th 2012

Well to each their own. It feels like what ( ) would have been had that album had every stunning moment removed. It's just so insubstantial to me.

May 17th 2012

I don't think the word stunning describes anything on ( ).

May 17th 2012

Oh....you're one of those....

I hope that you write a review for this, I would like to see your take on it.

May 17th 2012

the stream starts in 10 minutes for me, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it a bit more than you

great review, as always man. have a pos

eternium
May 17th 2012

I knew someone was going to post a review after the stream. Didn't think it'd be a low rating.

You suck.

oh boy

May 17th 2012

I love ( ). I think I have it at a 4.5. I just don't think "stunning" is a word that should be used when its such an introspective and submersive listen.

May 17th 2012

I had dibs on this but gave em up. Not enough time and I'm already backed up on shit to review.

May 17th 2012

The end of the eighth song? The underlying intensity of the piano in the third track? C'mon man it's filled with those moments!

May 17th 2012

Apparently the stream isn't working for me :/

May 17th 2012

I think it only works in one timezone for one hour at seven p.m. so It won't be for you

May 17th 2012

Oh wait you're in AZ, right? So yeah it sould be working for you

eternium
May 17th 2012

I agree that this album is basically ( ) without the orgasmic parts but I feel this one has a different purpose, as it should. Sigur Ros don't make the same album twice.

working now

seems pretty cool so far