John Coltrane
Kulu Se Mama

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
May 17th, 2012 | 13 replies | 3,218 views

Release Date: 1966 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A spellbinding performance.

John Coltrane was a pioneer of Jazz music. Jazz wasn't just another form of music to him, but a method of communication. Another form of expression in which the music describes the kind of sensations that no arrangement of words could ever describe. He viewed his albums as meditative journeys, altering the conventions of Jazz, while discovering new techniques and orchestral approaches. Kulu Sé Mama induces a certainly interesting listening experience because it has such an abstract agenda. It is an album that reflects the traditional Bebop style of his earlier efforts, but we also see John Coltrane dwelling into the more experimental approach of his latter efforts. The album opens with "Kulu Sé Mama", a musical piece decorated with tribal aesthetics, expressing an evident influence from African spirituality. The instrumental elements have their moments of scandalous eruptions, but for the most part, "Kulu Sé Mama" is a rather gentle piece- an ascension into a spiritual state of mind.

"Welcome" is another delicate composition that is blossoming with musical elegance. Its driven by an alluring, yet gentle melody, that delivers an exquisitely beautiful sound. The music is warm and embracive, like the sensation of being in the arms of a lover. But as we transcend further into Kulu Sé Mama, we find that it reveals a more jubilant side. "Vigil", for example, is flourishing with energetic deliveries. Elvin Jones starts us off with an eruptive drum solo, before John Coltrane complete takes over with an intense release of free-form solos. And then of course, there is our highlight, "Selflessness", which features a duet by John Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders as they coalesce their tenor saxophone deliveries into one spellbinding performance. "Selflessness" is a voyage through different moods, exposing sides of both sensitivity and aggression within its musical landscape. Kulu Sé Mama may not have many songs to offer, but it is a truly remarkable album, and a listening experience well worth the time of any Jazz enthusiast.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion
Jail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular EmotionChick Corea The Vigil
Pond (AUS) Hobo RocketBlack Sabbath 13

StrangerofSorts
May 17th 2012

Hey dude, just commenting to draw attention to one thing I noticed when reading this review (feel free to disregard it, I've decided that tonight is as good a night as any to lie up late listening to The Smiths).

The way you structure your thoughts is very kind of stop-start. Thoughts are cut off waaayy before they're given enough room to sink in. For example:

Driven by an alluring, yet gentle melody, it exhibits such beauty. Its music is warm and embracive, like being in the arms of a lover.

This is too segmented. It would flow a hell of a lot better like: "Driven by an alluring, yet gentle melody, it delivers a beauty that is both warm and embracive: like being in the arms of a lover."

Generally one short-ish coherent thought = one sentence. Also the review kind of just ends, maybe try to weave some kind of over-arching "argument" (I say argument, I really mean a point. Like exploring the albums themes etc.) into the review to both pad it out and smoothen the structure.

Idk, tired thoughts. Will check this out though.

rockandmetaljunkie

Sweet review, pos
Do you consider writing a negative review ?

May 17th 2012

"Altering the conventions of Jazz, while discovering new techniques and orchestral approaches."

This read kinda wierd to me. Perhaps an incomplete sentence.

I kinda agree with Stanger but your review was still really good overall. Good job and I'll check this out because I miss:

"being in the arms of a lover"....[pos]

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

@StrangerofSorts
You actually have a point. The sentence is actually much better the way worded it. I'll see if I can get the mods to edit some stuff out.

@Captain
Thanks, mate. Yeah that sentence reads weird to me to. I'll be honest, the review was kind of written on the spot- I was listening tot he album and just felt compelled to write a review for it.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

ControlDarts
May 17th 2012

love this guy, great review dude

May 17th 2012

Alright its been edited. Thanks guys for all your advice.

@Control
Thank you.

@Rockandmetal
I have yet to write a review with negative score. Im just the kind of person that if I dont like the music of a certain album, then I dont see the point in putting time and effort in writing review for it. I know a lot of users enjoying tearing apart bad albums, but its not me. Though I know that if i want to be taken seriously I should write a negative review.

Anthracks

coltrane was pretty talented

Digging: Devangelic - Resurrection Denied

TheFonz123

My favorite artist ever.

liledman
May 18th 2012

as mentioned above, some of this reads awkwardly, and this sentence is kind of just stuck in there.

we also see John Coltrane dwelling into the more experimental approach

delving?

tribalistic aesthetics

tribal would probably work better here

descension into a spiritual state of mind

i think he would rather ascension ;)

also the end of this just feels tacked on and abrupt, but thats just me.

@liledman
Hey, man. Yeah I already asked the mods to take care of some of the edits (including the ones you pointed out), so now I'm just waiting for them to actually do it. But about the ending, I honestly didnt know any other way to end it.
I hope the edit bug gets fixed soon.... and I have to proofread a lot better before uploading.

liledman
May 18th 2012

yeah, weird you always have trouble getting edit to work. should be easy.

good to see you are enjoying trane's later stuff.

ZedO
May 18th 2012

this jazzman was a legend, i found so many artists here covered his songs in jazz festivals...

pos, mate! i got your point, just be cool about editing, you can do it later.