Storm Corrosion
Storm Corrosion

by SauradipGhosh USER (2 Reviews)
May 16th, 2012 | 18 replies | 2,517 views

Review Summary: Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson's Labor OF Love can be perhaps best described to be "self indulgent" or "quaint" and no doubt a certain section of fans will be mortified after going through the album, but this doesn't take away the sheer brilliance of

Storm Corrosion is a much awaited musical project spearheaded by the Opeth Mastermind, Mikael Akerfeldt and British Progressive Rock Mogul Steven Wilson. They had previously worked together in various Opeth albums (Blackwater Park, Damnation-to name a few) and Akerfeldt had done the vocal harmonies in the Porcupine Tree classic,Deadwings. Therefore, when these two amazing musicians announced their first ever solo project Storm Corrosion, it did generate a lot of buzz (especially the one where Mike Portnoy was supposed to join the project as the drummer), and the general view was that Storm Corrosion was going to be a Progressive Super-Group.

However, putting all rumors to rest, Storm Corrosion (the project) is anything but a Super-Group and their debut album is a tapestry of emotions weaved into a disc.

Let me provide a song-by-song review.

"Drag Ropes" is the album opener, featuring the ominous vocals of Akerfeldt and an evil vocal harmony between Wilson and Akerfeldt. It provides the tone of the album...

"Now my dear friend,
Now for your sins...
You're to suffer..
Here it begins."

Eerie, twisted, haunting and disturbing. Just like it's video which premiered a few days before the official launch of the album. A great track, but not the best.

Next comes, perhaps the most beautiful track of the album-"Storm Corrosion". It features the quiet, soothing vocals of Wilson and a lush guitar strumming by Akerfeldt, the guitars are impeccable, so are the Mellotrons and the synth. A wonderful track, classic stuff.

"Hag" is a very odd song. It makes you feel as if you are in a dream. With a delightful drum solo which makes you feel as if you are in a train, half awake and the train rumbles into a platform...but is it your destination? You wonder...Akerfeldt's deep baritone placed at the background of Wilson's velvet crooning works well. Exceedingly well, rather.

"Happy" will be my pick for the best track of the album. A relatively short track, it tugs at your heartstrings with it's delightfully melancholic chorus. A song that makes me freeze, unable to move and unable to think. Yes, it is that good!

"Lock Howl" is an instrumental and perhaps the most "heaviest" track of the album. It has a very unique middle eastern influence which reminds me of the final riff of the Opeth song "Closure" form their Damnation album. A suitable background track for a Gangster Movie.

"Ljudet Innan" is where Akerfeldt truly breaks new ground as a singer. His long spiraling falsettos are unbelievable. He has achieved an admirable degree of perfection in his singing. This song is basically ambient with a lovely guitar piece at the end, along with a verse sung by Wilson.

The only thing that I feel, is missing in this album is more of Akerfeldt's voice. He is a revelation. I really wish Wilson had utilized his voice a bit more.

Storm Corrosion is one of those classic albums which never fail to amaze you, with it's high degree of technical complexity and emotional appeal. It is an album that you listen to in a grey, rainy day, and quiver with grateful ecstasy.

• Armando (5)
    A masterful effort, courtesy of the two of the best masters of progressive music nowadays....

Scott M. Baldwin (2)
    This is why I get bothered when artists try to be both accessible and experimental....

Limoncello (3.5)
    Mikael Ã…kerfeldt and Steven Wilson push the boundaries on this release, drawing on influe...

JF Williams (2.5)
    A disappointing album from musicians capable of so much more....

• Wreath (2.5)

Angel STAFF (4)
    Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson unite their talents to craft an eerie and ethereal worl...

Firestarter
May 15th 2012

Totally agree with you. This is the perfect album to listen to if your lying in bed or walking at night. An absolutely beautiful piece of music that probably would have had a better reception if not for the preconception of the pairs previous "heavier" work

Best track for me is "Storm Corrosion"

May 15th 2012

I am glad you agree with me. The greatness of these musicians lie in the fact that they "could" have easily churned out a commercial Prog Masterpiece and provided their fans an instant gratifications (they had Portnoy waiting for their call) but they "chose" to do this. Minimal, vague and beautifully abstract. Now, that's something.

SgtPepper
May 16th 2012

Congrats on your first review, mate!

This is a great album indeed. I'm actually listening to this as I speak. The review is decent, though id suggest giving more detail in the future. But anyway, great job.

wacknizzle
May 16th 2012

Storm Corrosion of love & emotion.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

May 16th 2012

I had imagined the moderator would trash my review. So made it short and lucid. Thank you for your advice. Sure appreciate it, looking forward to write technically better reviews.

JamieTwort

19993 Comments

Pretty good first review. I would suggest steering clear of track-by-track reviews in future and trying to describe the album more as a whole. That said this is still a decent effort for a first.

FictionalFlames
May 16th 2012

Don't do track by track reviews.

CoConi
May 16th 2012

Agreed with the users above me, but I still think its a good review.
Only 1 disagree: Akerfeldts falsetto on the last track just seems so... forced and unnatural.

Photon
May 16th 2012

i just don't get this at all (the album).

MO
May 16th 2012

"and no doubt a certain section of fans will be mortified after going through the album"

hmmm moritified is a bit of a strong word seeing as fans have already heard heritage and grace, also whats with all the capital letters before words mid sentence

decent review for a first, but yea track by tracks are pretty frowned upon here

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Killerhit

Hey this is really fun

Oathbreaker
May 16th 2012

nothing to get, bad album

baldymort
May 16th 2012

Just out of curiosity, why are track-by-tracks frowned upon on here? I reckon they're helpful in regards to checking out what is considered to be the best song on the album and judging whether or not you want to listen to the rest of it based on that listen.

MO
May 16th 2012

because all you're doing is describing each song seperately whereas you should be describing the album in full with references to songs in terms of techniques/sounds they are using

anyone can write a review saying, this song is an instrumental, this one is acoustic with nice spoken words etc etc

May 16th 2012

Okay, I get it. No more song-by-song reviews, but I have read plenty of 'em in Sputnik itself and they are kinda helpful. And I have tried to give each song it's due attention, not merely dismiss 'em as "this one is acoustic with nice spoken words etc". However thanks for the inputs!

DeadBeat
May 16th 2012

track by track reviews can be good sometimes, but they usually suck

AstrialExpedition
March 29th 2014

Perfect album to wonder through nature

AstrialExpedition
March 29th 2014

I wish there was some growls through