7 Horns 7 Eyes
Throes Of Absolution

by BringerOfStorms USER (1 Reviews)
May 9th, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: 7H7E craft something completely unique and unheard of.

"Throes of Absolution," the debut offering by Seattle's 7 Horns 7 Eyes, is one of the latest crushers to be released by Century Media records.

"Throes" begins in a foreboding manner, with a fairly simple, melodic riff played on an acoustic guitar. This eventually transitions into an earth-shaking chug, while the acoustic riff dissonantly compliments the madness. At this point, the listener has a pretty good idea of what the album has to offer. Spine-tingling atmosphere, melodic leads and crushing, odd-meter rhythms.

While it may sound like a fairly simple formula, there is much more depth to be found in this album. Airy atmospherics and dancing guitar solos are some of the core components of "Throes"; along with bone-chilling growls delivered by vocalist JJ "Shiv" Polachek. Landing somewhere in between Mikael Akerfeldt and something completely unique, Shiv proves to be an adequate young death metal vocalist.

Throughout the album, a sense of darkness shrouds the listener. Eerie riffs and monumental drumming enhance this feeling, and seemingly take one on a journey through the depths of hell. Distant synths provide a complimentary ambiance that add depth, texture and many layers of unsettling obscurity.

If death metal, prog, atmospherics or -core are your thing, chances are you'll love "Throes". This will surely be hailed as one of the best releases of 2012, and possibly a classic for years to come.

Recommended tracks:
"Divine Amnesty"
"Cycle of Self"
"Vindicator"
"The Winnowing"

TBliss2 (4.5)
A startling hybrid of death metal fury and delicate progressive melodicisms....

I made this account in 2008 (4)
7 Horns 7 Eyes go against the grain to create a crushing progressive death metal album with accessib...

May 9th 2012

First review on this site, give me tips and let me know if it sucks!

Emim
May 9th 2012

It's a concise review, but definitely a bit short and doesn't explain why this is deserving of a 5.

Also you ended your summary in a preposition.

May 9th 2012

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna fix the summary, I meant to just write "unheard". I'll attempt to lengthen it and justify my rating a little bit more.

Evreaia
May 9th 2012

Album is good, but I'm not finding it to be a 5 though.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

coneren

autechre is christian techno

Josh D.
May 9th 2012

7 angels 7 plagues 7 horns 7 eyes 7 bad 7 band names 7 lol 7 christians 7 seven 7 se7en 7 morgan 7 freeman 7 channing 7 also freeman

bloozclooz

good album, but this ain't a 5

Digging: Downfall of Gaia - Aeon Unveils the Thrones of Decay

ZedO
May 10th 2012

Pos hard, Man! Congrats for your first review. ..

No, it does not suck at all, but I think, you have to add more details in your next reviews... Just read two or three spunik's staff reviews for your based-model, haha

asaf
May 10th 2012

"7H7E craft something completely unique and unheard of "

DotEight
May 10th 2012

No, this is wack. And a disgrace to 7 Angels 7 Plagues.

ianjulian

death metal vocalist

Digging: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Evreaia
May 10th 2012

"No, this is wack. And a disgrace to 7 Angels 7 Plagues."

Only thing those bands have in common is the fact they both got their name from revelations. This is DM band (or should be one), it has nothing to do with the metalcore from 7a7p.

And it's not bad enough to be called a disgrace.

May 11th 2012

Thanks for the pos, ZedO!

Shuyin
May 31st 2012

11959 Comments

loving the guitar work in this album.