Dead And Divine
Antimacy

by TBliss2 USER (24 Reviews)
May 9th, 2012 | 8 replies

Review Summary: For all its violence, Antimacy is a hugely fun listen.

As the metalcore machine rumbles on, churning out a surplus of interchangable bands, it is more than fair to say that the genre has become saturated. With polished choruses and breakdowns in abundance, it is difficult to find an act with the power to truely excite.

It is pleasantly surprising therefore that Canadian outfit Dead And Divine are doing something slighlyt different, and hugely more sincere, than many of the more popular metalcore torchbearers. This is largely due to the fact they sound, unlike most, genuinely pissed off. Antimacy rattles along with a rabid intensity, the abrasive edge of such tracks as 'Midnight Society' with its scything guitar work and impassioned vocal delivery, and the fierce opening stabs of 'Asphyxia Fiend', making the album an undeniably vehement piece of work. Indeed, the riffing present on Antimacy is consistantly stellar, with the the guitars grooving and biting in equal measure. The speed picking and monsterous breaks of 'Cult/Misleader' are particularly impressive.

Yet, coupled with this, and what makes Dead And Divine such an exciting prospect, is the sheer dynamics of the bands songwriting, giving them a number of prevailing weapons in their arsenal. Vocalist Matt Tobin is a real talent, mixing up his enraged bark with soaring melodies which thankfully eschew any auto-tuned syntheticness and retain a raw power, especially in the fantastic 'Carcinoma' (which also features a brief appearance from Letlives Jason Butler). Not only this, but his performance also often delves into a Keith Buckley-esque swagger, such as the attitude driven drawl of 'Grim Love', displaying not only Tobins versatility but the veracity of his performance.

For all its violence, Antimacy is a hugely fun listen. Putting their own refreshing spin on the metalcore forumla, it is ultimately the infectious nature of the songs, whether its in the clean hooks or the lurching guitars, that makes the album such a enjoyable experience, and Dead And Divine an outfit to cherish.

Sacrilegious Throne Eternal ApostasyObscene Entity Obscene Entity
The Burial In The Taking Of FleshLower Than Atlantis Changing Tune
Martyr Defiled In ShadowsEveryone Dies In Utah Polarities (+//-)
wacknizzle (3.5)
I can’t tell if you’re hanging up here with me, Or you’ve been the ones banging in the nails...

The Machines We Are

TBliss2
May 9th 2012

Shame about these guys splitting.

Spec
May 9th 2012

It's heavy and stuff but not as interesting as their first two albums were.

wacknizzle
May 9th 2012

Dang, I already wrote a review for this but oh well. Guess, I might have to do a review for The Fanciful, cuz it desperately needs one.

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

Spec
May 9th 2012

It can have more than one review yo.

TBliss2

Yeah man.

wacknizzle
May 9th 2012

I don't really mind, like I said im gonna review The Fanciful since it don't got one yet. I got into the album recently and it's really good. I think it has more variation than and creativity than this or The Machines We Are.

Durrzo
May 10th 2012

Album would suck if the vocals weren't so good. Guitar work is borrrrring.

Nikkolae
January 24th 2014

this is just such a fucking fun album, on par with TMWA

Digging: Modern Witch - Unknown Domain