Sleepy Sun
Spine Hits

by Nicholas Johnson USER (5 Reviews)
May 7th, 2012 | 16 replies

Review Summary: This is a band that, upon previous releases, would express multiple ideas in single songs. Now, with their new approach and new working title, each musical idea is given its own spatial dimensions as a series of “hits”. Pun intended.

A band has never sorely missed a founding member this much. Not since the days of burying Jason Newsted in the mix as a practical joke has a band sounded so drastically misshapen. It is possible for fans of old to avoid lamenting the departure of Rachel Fannan, a founding member who obviously was instrumental (no pun intended) in arranging structural elements of Sleepy Sun’s music, but it is very, very hard not to. What she leaves behind though, is one Bret Constantino who sounds much more empowered and inspired as a vocalist (read: lonely if you’re one of those fans), and a faster, more lively set of tracks. This is not a bad thing. We’re all open-minded round these parts. That’s why we all have tickets to Radiohead AND One Direction. Right?

When you listen to Stivey Pond and Creature, Fannan is hardly missed at all. In recent publications in the wake of Spine Hits’ release, Fannan’s poisonous presence on the band has been revealed and her departure is thereby justified. Bret Constantino is granted more ability to shine on his own, and the band ventures into new musical territory with a conviction that Fannan didn’t allow. V.O.G showcases a guitar groove that may just remind you of the White Album’s Helter Skelter. Then again, it may not. I see and hear similarities between the strangest things.

The departure of Fannan lets Conatantino breathe new life into the band that wasn’t allowed before. Constantino’s appreciation of Fannan in both a romantic and musical sense somewhat stifled his own position in the band, and he has spoken on how he has been able to step up his own performance in the band since her departure. Just listen to Boat Trip to hear him very much powerful and kicking on his own. The only improvement Sleepy Sun can make on their already impressive career would be for the other members of the band to start singing live. Constantino sounds most lonely at live venues, much more than in the studio. I hope that in a near tour they decide to visit Sydney, in which case I would have the chance to verify whether or not the band needs to sing behind him.

This is a band that, upon previous releases, would express multiple ideas in single songs. Now, with their new approach and new working title, each musical idea is given its own spatial dimensions as a series of “hits”. Pun intended. In 2010, the 11 tracks on this album might have been spliced into 8 or 9, but accessibility with age is natural, and shouldn’t be condemned.

3.3

Fever

tombits
May 7th 2012

i'm actually excited to hear this, i didn't like the girl's voice all that much in previous releases and thought it detracted from the overall sound

May 7th 2012

Might check this out since I'm progging

BornIIHula
May 7th 2012

Good to hear. This isn't one of my best reviews.
I dig everything on the album, but old fans will especially appreciate Stivey Pond, Creature, Boat Trip & VOG.

Jethro42
May 7th 2012

I love me some Sleepy Sun. Added to my to listen to list.

alachlahol

sweet deal

thought the second album was weak

May 7th 2012

The second album was actually better than the first imo. This seems interesting.

alachlahol
May 7th 2012

going to listen to it on spotify right now to solidify my opinion against you

YetAnotherBrick

oh man gotta get this

you're seeing em, potato? lucky. i wonder if they're coming to me..

Digging: Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

wacknizzle
May 7th 2012

Oh shit new Sleepy Sun. Need to hear this asap.

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

tarkus
May 7th 2012

gotta get this but ugh not prog

May 7th 2012

The album's different from their previous ones, but that's a good thing. I dislike bands who record the same LP over and over again.

YetAnotherBrick
May 7th 2012

goddamn. i can't wait til i have an income and a car and i'm not living with my parents so i can go see shows all the time haha

tarkus
May 8th 2012

yeah ive got that it rules

July 1st 2012

I'm really digging it. There's some great songwriting on this one...

Jethro42

I absolutely want this

JamieTwort
July 1st 2012

What I've heard from this is realy good.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic