Nacho Picasso
For The Glory

by Dunpeal USER (10 Reviews)
May 4th, 2012 | 14 replies

Review Summary: You're alone, being chased by Jason and Freddy, while submerged deep under water in an abandoned submarine with the Mad Hatter rapping over the intercom.

If you listen to hip-hop long enough, you'll eventually hear one of your favorite rappers pining for the "glory" days of hip hop or claiming hip-hop is dead. Sure, hip-hop isn't what it used to be, but very few things are. Such is the case when dealing with cultures and societies made up of intelligent and/or not-so-intelligent beings, but I digress. In any case, it is probably safer, albeit less dramatic, to say that hip-hop is evolving more than dying, and while some might not like the new direction it's headed, there is bound to be something new on the horizon, because as we all know, the only thing constant is change.

While discussing change, it's important to note that while For the Glory is something different, it is not a game-changer by any means. It is a fun alternative to the growing CMYMB roster additions and clones that are pushed upon every media outlet. While Nacho Picasso is undoubtedly underground, I wouldn't put him in the same category as some of the younger MCs coming out, such as B.O.B., Kendrick Lamar or Big K.R.I.T. mostly because his subject matter, for now, it just so outlandish while those other MCs are leading the charge in a more serious fashion. However, that's what makes Nacho so fresh, in my opinion. Where most of the mainstream's heavy hitters focus on luxury rap, Nacho Picasso puts his own twist on braggadocio rap. He's like a rapper's version of McGyver, simply rapping about how cool he is without all the luxury and fancy toys and simply with what's available to him at that given moment. Throughout the entire album, in each song, it always feels as though Nacho is working to one-up the killer punch line he dropped previously.

"I told a girl she's special / but i just
meant retarded / everybody dies guess life is like
Departed / you can be Dicaprio but I'ma Marky Mark it"

Production duties are taken care of by trip-hop duo Blue Sky Black Death, and while Nacho's cleverly executed stream-of-consciousness rap fits perfectly within BSBD's moody beats, make no mistake, this is as much a BSBD album as it is a Nacho Picasso album. Picture yourself alone, being chased by Jason and Freddy, while submerged deep under water in an abandoned submarine with the Mad Hatter rapping over the intercom and that's something like what the combination of Nacho and BSBD sounds like.

If you're in the mood for a beat-driven album joined by a vicious punch-line machine, then I definitely suggest you give Nacho Picasso's For the Glory a listen. It has to be one of the best free albums in recent memory.

Obsidian Kingdom Torn and BurntKool Keith Magnetic Pimp Force Field
Sahara Surfers Space Trip on a Paper PlaneBrandon Boyd The Wild Trapeze
Astral Projection Dancing GalaxyRishloo Feathergun

May 4th 2012

been a while since I did this. hit me up sputnik

Digging: Aspherium - The Veil of Serenity

Aids
May 4th 2012

good to finally see a review for this. I kinda dug it at first but it wore off me. Lots of clever lines anyway and I bet lots of people here would like it so yeah, good to see a review.

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

May 4th 2012

yeah man it wears off, but i played the hell out of this upon discovery, so I felt like i had to reflect that in my rating

btw can we no longer edit reviews? link not working for me. didn't realize we couldn't center text

May 4th 2012

this dudes name sucks and you started your review in the same way every post-rock, hip hop, thrash review starts and thats by commenting on the status of the genre

May 4th 2012

is it dead?!?!?! ---> listen to this album and see heh heh heh

rewrite this review

Tupik
May 4th 2012

I like your intro a lot, most of the time when people write about the state of hip-hop it makes me cringe but it turned out pretty well here. I'll try to give this a try when I have time.

May 4th 2012

cool, glad ppl are checking this out.

@tater, what did i miss? how did you get a godly sized avatar? lol

kingsoby1
May 5th 2012

BSBD saves the records of course. He's basically weezy but not as good

Cardboardbox
May 24th 2012

Like Curren$y had a sadistic cousin

Greyvy
August 19th 2013

I'd pay a juggalo to come for your jugular
If I like the jugs on her then I'm probably druggin' her

Digging: Various Artists - Nippon Girls - Japanese Pop, Beat & Bossa Nova

March 24th 2014

that art that art that art that art

oltnabrick