Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Telesterion

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
May 4th, 2012 | 9 replies

Review Summary: Omar's Greatest Hits.

If there is one thing that can be said about Omar, its that he isn't afraid to venture into the unknown. And though most of his musical explorations are never without his usual touch of psychedelia, Omar has experimented with a variety of musical approaches that is unparalleled by any other artist in today's music. He has gone through so many different phases within his discography, that it's almost baffling to believe that all of those albums were written by the same person. Over 25 releases under his solo monikers, and all of them written in the span of a decade- That's an astonishing accomplishment.

And now after following Omar through all of his long and strange trips, he now rewards his fans with a compilation album featuring tracks from throughout his solo career. It contains various songs that represent all of the different chapters within his music. "Melting Chariots" from The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange represents his Jazz phase, while other songs like "Polaridad" from Tychozorente and "Viernes" from Ciencia de los Inutiles represent his Electronica and Folk phases. And then of course, there are tracks like "Asco Que Conmueve Los Puntos Erogenos" from Xenophanes which display his signature style of explosive psychedelic insanity. The album also contains a new song called "Casate Colmillo", from an album that has yet to be release titled, The Somnambulists. If there was ever an album that could introduce a new listener into his deranged musical world, this would be it.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
3.2
good

SgtPepper
May 4th 2012

My god.... that tracklist is long.

Irving
May 4th 2012

I don't think I can ever get into this man's brand of music. Lord knows I've tried lol.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

insomniac15
May 4th 2012

I think this is harder to digest than a lot of his albums even if it's a greatest hits album. Pos.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria

Wreath
May 4th 2012

I like how briefly yet very informative you seem to choose to write some of your reviews, great stuff.

ZedO
May 4th 2012

yeah man, track-list in a glance looks like, hmm, what we usually get in grincore stuff. lol

however, this is great review, straight to the point! pos

Veldin
May 4th 2012

I'm glad someone reviewed this. I was curious, are the majority of the songs on this collection actually enjoyable, or is it hit-or-miss?

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

SgtPepper

@Veldin
It really depends on your taste, there's a little bit of everything in the album, but I would suggest checking out the songs I mentioned on youtube or something to see if you want to buy/download it.

facupm
May 4th 2012

short and straight to the point, excellent review

YoYoMancuso
May 5th 2012

56 songs of equal epicness.