Comus
Out of the Coma

by Wreath USER (6 Reviews)
May 4th, 2012 | 22 replies | 6,441 views

Review Summary: Comus are still crazy.

Revived more or less entirely at the behest of Opeth’s mastermind, this frantic psychedelic folk rock group has ascended some 40 odd years later with what should have been their sophomore effort in place of the truthfully quite disappointing follow up to First Utterance, an album most certainly worthy of the title legendary within the psychedelic music scene. Evocatively, the album cover portrays a scrawny body reminiscent of an obsolete era. And what has changed since the release of the praised debut album in 1971? Not an awful lot really. Out Of the Coma is not at all very unlike its eclectic predecessor, delivering a frenzied execution of the same intriguing acoustic acid rock formula that clearly distinguished the debut from anything that was going on in the music scene almost half a century back in time.

An honestly quite stingy twenty minute effort of entirely new music might seem a bit cheap, coming from a band of such status. But what you get is unmistakably Comus – and of surprisingly high quality. We live in an age where bands that live off of former glories are frowned upon and what we have here is not a case of such antics. The music displays a familiar dark and psychotic affair that gets away with lacking originality by featuring some of the bands finest moments in its unfortunately much too short lived career (which revival we should all be happily embracing!). The album also has within a small treasure, of sorts. Introduced by lead guitarist and vocalist Roger Wooton we are made familiar with the first suite of a never before heard track from the band’s past, in which a distressing and beautifully haunting atmosphere displays what was supposed to have been its true follow up to the debut. “Time and neglect has not been kind to the original cassette”, Wooton excuses in the audio recording and continues by saying that the audio is not good, a painful truth that unfortunately hinders a fully enjoying listening experience when the album has reached its final note. Despite the fact that it sounds like what it just is – an old bootleg recording from 1972 of the band performing it live in an old university; its haunting atmosphere seemingly leaks through the low standard production and serves almost just as pleasant as the rest of the album.

Casting an aura of unmistakably familiar agitation and (in all honesty) utter madness, the product of this revived band brings nothing new to the table, but definitely makes up for what it should have been bringing us four decades ago.

Storm Corrosion Storm CorrosionSeven Reizh Samsara
Anathema Weather SystemsAtoma Skylight
Dornenreich Her Von Welken Nächten

May 4th 2012

I was quite tempted to give it a 4/5 rating but then I pretty much decided they were to cheap with songs, which is obviously a shame.

May 4th 2012

Ahh, I forgot to add the name of Mikael Åkerfeldt in the beginning of the review! Oh well. There's always the edit button. (plz fix this asap)

SgtPepper
May 4th 2012

I've listened to these guys on and off, I've heard their first two studio albums and theyre pretty good I think. anyway, great review. POS'd.

May 4th 2012

Thank you! These guys are quite the oddballs, it actually took some time for the debut to sink in for me. Very rewarding once it happens though!

Ovrot

need to check this

MO
May 4th 2012

First Utterance was amazing, need to check this out.

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Wolfhorde
May 4th 2012

What MO said. Surprised they got back together/are still working.

MO

seriously 40 years later

talk about a fitting album title

CrimsonFloyd

Gonna listen

OneMoreRoland
May 4th 2012

I've just been getting into first Utterance... Odd timing...

Kellerdeck

Comus is back! Finally!

gabethepiratesquid
May 4th 2012

lol holy shit can't believe this is a thing. I love First Utterance but wow.

conesmoke
May 15th 2012

First utterance was spectacular, saw a live performance of a song on this, was pretty cool but made me lol

May 21st 2012

p/

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

AngelofDeath
May 21st 2012

Didn't enjoy this much at all, unfortunately.

oltnabrick
December 29th 2012

this is getting srsly overlooked

Digging: Future - Honest

Piglet
January 28th 2013

yeah fuckin' cum-on-us rule, why the fuck aren't people getting into this shit

oltnabrick
April 2nd 2013

omg pls listen to this dam

MeatSalad