Stream Of Passion
The Flame Within

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: The Flame Within may not break boundaries, but it’s a great symphonic metal album in its own right.

The female fronted symphonic/gothic metal scene has been so overly done that it’s difficult to give props to an album that is fairly predictable and ultimately brings nothing new to the table. However, The Flame Within has enough fire so as to burn the heart of any listener due to its sheer soul and breathtaking beauty. It’s quite easy to roll eyes over an overdone string section and piano, but this album is more tasteful than anything. While symphonic metal bands are often horribly blatant with their symphonic section, Stream of Passion feel their music. This means that the piano playing is delicate, the strings emotional, and the album is overwhelmingly pretty. This is the selling point of the album, and what a selling point it is - The Flame Within is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Unfortunately, what could be considered beautiful and moving to some could be considered plodding and boring to others. It takes a steady ear to enjoy something so delicate and non-immediate, especially when the album is peculiarly lengthy. Another downfall is the album’s predictability due to very little variation (for example, it feels as though piano parts clog every track). This is a shame for the music is quite compelling from an emotional standpoint, but with too much repetition we’re left with a weaker impact. Then again, it is highly commendable for a band to be so consistent, and those who like Stream of Passion’s style will undoubtedly eat this up.

While the album is undeniably pretty, symphonic/gothic metal requires a punch, and thankfully, this album is not lacking in that department. The lead guitar provides the necessary boost with scary, distorted riffs that paint the album with a decent shade of black. This is the only convincing gothic factor, however, and therefore The Flame Within is more successful as a symphonic metal album than a gothic one. Perhaps there is a slight feeling of melancholy present, like the story of a lost love in a Shakespearean play, but such sadness is not the kind of misery that gothic metal calls for. However, The Flame Within is a great album in its own right with stunning melodies, a proficient female singer, heavy guitars, and an elegant symphonic section. Perhaps it isn’t gothic enough or even that original, but it’s certainly enjoyable and that’s good enough.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
3.3

May 2nd 2012

The only album of theirs that I have heard. Terrible. Have a pos.

Digging: Necropoli - I

May 2nd 2012

Heh, thanks. I can picture mediocre maybe, but terrible?

May 2nd 2012

hmm I guess I refuse to see it like that haha.

May 2nd 2012

I have that capability too. I love all the Within Temptation albums, but I couldn't get passed it on this album.

May 2nd 2012

Never realized you draw the line at Within Temptation. : )

Acanthus
May 2nd 2012

Huh, might check this out perhaps?

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

May 2nd 2012

Check Darker Days out first bro, it's better and you said you would check it out haha.

May 2nd 2012

Yeah. Before their new album Within Temptation were the stereotypical female-fronted goth/metal band full of average musicians saved by keyboards and an excellent (& hot) vocalist.

macadoolahicky
May 2nd 2012

"The only album of theirs that I have heard. Terrible. Have a pos."

Made me giggle

Acanthus
May 2nd 2012

Oh this is THAT band! I did check out that album, but it's been awhile.

May 2nd 2012

Oh sweet, what did you think, or do you still remember?

Xenophanes
May 2nd 2012

I hate this type of metal but that sexual album and band name have me interested.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

Tyrael

20879 Comments

sweet piece of work pizzy

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Dreamflight

Ace review bro.

"It's another one of those groups of terrible musicians hiding behind keyboards and a capable vocalist."

Gosh Willie, thought you were cool. :/

Metalstyles
May 3rd 2012

The bold part's probably the main culprit as to why you like them so much ;). Don't even try to deny it, I know you picture yourself having rowdy sex with Sharon when you're listening to Within Temptation.

Oh and good review pizz, but symphonic metal, blah, gonna pass on this.

ZedO
May 3rd 2012

good stuff, not so impressive but at least it's enjoyable...

Shuyin
December 19th 2012

really great stuff, specially the vocals

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain