Primus
Green Naugahyde

by FrizzleFried USER (15 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2012 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Darkest album by PRIMUS

Primus, one of the weirdest bands to march the planet Earth. I probably wouldn't deny that, due to the fact that Les Claypool founded this band. Honestly, I would not. When they went hiatus from their studio albums, It kind of sucked. I love their albums, and we all have to admit, we were dying for another. Then Green Naugahyde came along. Probably their darkest record currently. With crazy affects on Les's bass, such as envelope filters, it makes it aound kind of funny. We were probably all expecting Les's voice to sound the same. Nope, much different. That gives this album some of its taste. Wouldn't disagree. This album really impressed me. How catchy the riffs are, the funny bass effects, and Jay's drums sound phenomanal. Now on to these awesome tracks, by the way, some really stood out to me! Here we go:

1. Prelude to a Crawl (1:20)
Sounds cool, though it sounds weird, good intro the start off this album, not much to say here. (No Rating)

2. Hennepin Crawler (3:59)
Good song. The riff is not much... and the bassline is the same. Drums are good. Good full song to start off. The lyrics are funny... and the singing, is alright. 4/5

3. Last Salmon Man (6:15)
One of the best songs on the album. The riff is awesome! And the drumming is great, love it. This will probably end off the Fisherman Chronicles. 4.5/5

4. Eternal Consumption Engine (2:45)
One of the best songs on here. Did I mention Larry wrote this song. The beginning drum part is catchy. The lyrics are funny. Not much gutair. Some stand-up. And the primary lyrics is "Everythings Made In China". Larry wrote it, but les obviously wrote the lyrics. 4.5/5

5. Tradegy's A' Comin' (4:52)
The most popular song on here. Lesplays an acoustic bass. The riff is perfect! The bass is perfect. The drumming is kind of boring. Not saying it is bad but, kind of boring. But one of the best songs on this album 4.5/5

6. Eyes Of The Squriell (5:32)
This is one of the songs on this album that stand out. Awesome bass line, funny effects, and the drumming is good. The lyrics don't make much sense except itis just about a bunch of random crap and constant repeating of "The eyes of the squriell are watching...". I really like it. Stands out a lot to me. Don't skip! 5/5

7. Jilly's on Smack (6:37)
Another one that stands out. And the longest song of the album. The stand up is cool. It sounds amazing. The beginning gutair is cool. Love it! Drumming is alright 5/5

8. Lee Van Cleef (3:28)
There is not much to say. The riff is normal. The bass is fine too. Drumming is okay. 3.5/5

9. Moron TV (4:38)
Funny song. I like the bass line and the creepy backround effect. The riff is also kind of creepy and dark itself. The drumming is normal. But sounds good 4/5

10. Green Ranger (2:03)
The shortest full song. Sounds cool, and the lyrics are kind of creepy! The gutair is not much, nor the drumming. The stand-up stands out the most in this song. 4/5

11. HOINFODAMAN (2:59)
Another shortie. Not much. The lyrics are funny, my favorite lyric line is, "Oh man that's a juicy burger,". The riff is good, along with the drumming! 4/5

12. Extincion Burst (5:20)
This one stands out to me to. Funny lyrics to. The riff is cool. The effects on the bass are cool. The drumming is catchy. The beginning is funny, repeation of "baba didi baba didi baba" and "today's gonna be the greatest day of your life". Then the opening bassline, with an effect, then catchy drumming. Then the song! Really like! 5/5

13. Salmon Men (0:58)
Reprise of Last Salmon Man. Nothing much. (No Rating).

So, even though this album is dark... it is still great. I enjoy popping it into my cd player once in a while. I sanc it onto my iPod. That is how much I like it! The effects are funny. And the drumming sounds pretty good. Along with Larry's awesome techniques. Really like it. The album cover is kind of creeper. It all sounds just right!

Recommended Tracks: