Madina Lake
From Them, Through Us, To You

by Ian USER (108 Reviews)
April 30th, 2012 | 27 replies | 3,292 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Peace is neither good, nor bad, but is what exists when there is no struggle, no ego and is neccessary in order to comprehend.

"From Them, Through Us, To You" is the opening story in a trilogy by Madina Lake, completed with "Attics to Eden" and "World War III", respectively. Successfully pulling off the mystique of a concept album, Nathan Leone's vocals are a smooth, but raw, helping portray both struggle and a young naivety. All the while his singing (sometimes screaming) blends in with Madina Lake's ambient, but quite full guitars and rhythm well. Considering "From Them" is the band mates' first LP I'd say it's even worth calling impressive. Madina Lake's consistent use of first person lyrics are as honest as a vocalist can be without becoming a corny joke. Songs are varied displaying sensible pop melodies, as well as quality screaming along with the PHXC* aspect of the band.

"If I lost it all in a fireball, would you be there for me, if the money's gone and the future falls, will you walk away? Cuz my confidence is vanishing, will you leave me starving here, to wither down and disappear as you walk away" - Intro to 'True Love'

To help set the attitude of a musical story, taking a good cue from movies, since, you know, a typical movie is supposed to be one central story, the album is produced to sound expensive as diamond. In addition, certain tracks (chapters in the story) are 'individualized' with samples at times. This tactic works best when Madina Lake is at their heaviest, such as closer 'True Love', not by working together, but the samples come in after the album's most spastic guitar and vocal performance, effectively giving a solid ending to an equally solid album. Such well produced hard rock that is excessively peppered with pop and post-hardcore aspects is easy to label as worthless 2000s ""scene"" music, but this is not true and in the end From Them, Through Us, To You starts a story with an ending that should hold more value to music and the world than anything Sum 41, or Green Day has done. Completely shut out your ego, don't struggle, and you'll find a diamond different than others despite the similar appearance.

*lol