Michael Jackson
Dangerous

by mark sammut USER (37 Reviews)
April 28th, 2012 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: His final stand.

When one thinks about Michael Jackson, it might take them a second to remember that before all the scandals and tragedies, and Invincible, he actually made good music a long time ago. Dangerous was released in 1991, and is generally considered the last true great Michael Jackson record, and depending on the listeners preferred musical genre, it’s considered by quite a few as his best album.

After the huge success of Thriller and Bad, Jackson had the damn near impossible task of trying to maintain the close to perfect quality. In the beginning of the 90s, Jackson was still loved through out the world, but there was no denying that his popularity had diminished a bit since the 80s. The rise of Nirvana, and the more serious and darker tone of the 90s musical scene, meant Jackson had to adapt with the times or risk getting seen as a nostalgia act. Jackson decided to incorporate a heavier more rock sound, and he also sings at a lower register on the majority of the songs, compared to his more upbeat and rhythmic music of his previous albums.

‘Jam’ and ‘Why You Wanna Trip on Me’ open the album and capture the feel of the album pretty darn well. The former mixes rock, funk and dance beats quite well, and helps ease the listener into his new sound. Jackson gives a solid vocal performance, and the lyrics are very good and socially motivated. The latter starts off with a brilliant guitar intro before a heavy but slow electronic beat come sin. The chorus is aggressive and driven, but at 5:24 the song drags a bit at times.

‘In The Closet’ and ‘Remember the Time’ are more typical sounding Michael Jackson R&B songs. The former is about keeping a relationship between lovers a secret. The song has a new jack influence and is pretty upbeat. The latter is one of the better know tracks from the album, and is also influenced by the new jack movement, and has heavy usage of guitar and piano. As expected the song also has a brilliant chorus to dance to.

‘Black or White’ is the definitive track from this album, perfectly combining rap, dance and hard rock. An intro played by Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash, leads into a heavy and fast dance beat and a brilliant socially conscious chorus. ‘Who is It?’ is another brilliant track, with its mid tempo beat and depressive lyrics concerning betrayal. Jackson in a low whisper for most of the track, it’s subtle and quiet but also gut wrenching. He provides a certain vulnerability that most singers can’t muster to save their lived.

‘Heal the World’ is the typical ‘Save the World’ type track. It’s not bad, with the piano being particularly delightful, but the lyrics are excessively preachy, and Jackson’s vocal performance comes off a bit thin. ‘Will You be There’ is an epic, with the use of an orchestra, who perform a snippet of Bethoven’s ninth symphony, and also an epic multi-layered chorus that never seems to end.

‘Give in to Me’ is a pure hard rock song, with a good performance by Slash. A great solo, and some good riffs accompany a powerful vocal performance by Jackson. The chorus is one of his best, although the last three minutes of the song is practically the chorus repeated over and over again, so it gets a bit old by the end of the song.

Dangerous is a great album, filled with brilliant tracks. Some songs like ‘She Drives me Wild’ and ‘Can’t let Her Get Away’ are not particularly amazing, but they came in between some real classics. It’s become too easy to forget that once a long time ago Michael Jackson wrote, and I’m sure inspired, tons of great songs. The sex scandals and the controversy surrounding his death, now already three years ago have unfortunately overshadowed what was once a brilliant career. As the onslaught of postmortem CDs start to bombard the still mourning fans, it is important to remember that once a long time ago, Michael Jackson was more than just a South Park gag.

Butch Walker Left of Self-CenteredPink The Truth About Love
Barenaked Ladies Everything to EveryoneMetallica Death Magnetic
Avril Lavigne Let GoGuns N' Roses G N' R Lies
Luk31 (5)
After three spectacular albums, Jackson released the next album without longtime-producer Quincy Jon...

Jack Knapman (3.5)

incubotic (4.5)

April 28th 2012

I don't really get the dance part. As in, you can dance to it? Because "dance" isn't a genre

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

Vintage Deviant.

Classic devient

mark1991

Fair point, seemed to make sense when i wrote it..now not so sure

asaf
April 28th 2012

I completely disagree that "She Drives Me Wild" is filler and is not "particularly amazing."

I mean, black jeans and a turtle neck sweater! come on!

Fair point, seemed to make sense when i wrote it..now not so sure
Lol. Dude. No. It may not be a "genre", but dance music is definitely a "thing". Rap is not dance music. Hard rock is not dance music. Therefore, your sentence makes sense. Don't be swayed so easily.

Zettel
April 28th 2012

"She Drives Me Wild" and "Can’t Let Her Get Away’ were always two of my favorites songs off of the album. Yeah, this is a great album. Nice review.

Cells
April 28th 2012

i dont really care for michael jackson.

sucks

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

Ire

it's eh

Vintage andcas.

April 28th 2012

In The Closet (With Your Kids)

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

STOP SHOUTING!
April 29th 2012

nirvana had nothing to do with mj, they were in totally different genres.

dance is a general genre. dev doesn't get it, cos mj doesn't begin with 'a'.

DeadStarShine

Because "dance" isn't a genre

yeah, but I've seen music stores here with the category "dance".

This is definitely my favorite from MJ.
I feel your review focuses too much on describing each song instead of giving a general impression on what you hear, how you feel about the album and describing its atmosphere.

asaf
April 29th 2012

Yeah this is the album that made him line security outside of festivals like he was fukn hitler. His fame really went over the edge with its release.

April 29th 2012

How is dance a general genre? I can dance just as easily to rock and roll as I could to an r&b track

Graveyard
April 29th 2012

don't outdo yourself with the whole ideology behind the "dance" term, Deviant

thinking way too hard bro

Digging: Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana

April 29th 2012

I'm not outdoing myself or overthinking anything. Is it too much to ask a simple question without another user butting his head in thinking I'm trying to exaggerate something? It's called discussion

taylormemer
April 29th 2012

[Discussion]Dance as a genre is likely a reference to EDM or something (forgive my lack of knowledge), but most CD sections aren't going to put EDM or its full version when they can just as easily put "Dance" and enable the same response. It's use is probably akin to the electronica buzzword you so dearly despise, haha. It's clearly a term that evolves.

When people say "dance music", at least 8 times out of 10 they're talking about dance music of electronic origin and not a Mozart waltz or something - at least in my experience, probably due to the fact it's an integral part to the current night-life dance floor (alongside hip-hop and R&B), whilst rock 'n' roll and boogie aren't. If I said while living in the 20s, "yeah let's get jiggy to some dance music" you'd chuck on a Goofus Five 78, obviously.

Human nature is full of these kind of colloquialisms and truncations of terms that slot into language, culture and conversation, all of which purely indicative of the time in which they are used. It's not technically correct, but neither is it when someone says classical when they're actually referring to baroque. I'm sure there's a better example(s) but yeah. I'd personally refrain using "dance" as a genre in a review as it is rather vague term that doesn't facilitate any more than a derivative idea of what "dance" should sound like within the confines of the reader's listening boundaries.[/Discussion]

DeadStarShine

and also this :

nirvana had nothing to do with mj

[2]