Paradise Lost
Tragic Idol

by Voivod STAFF
April 26th, 2012 | 28 replies

Review Summary: Paradise Lost paint a bleak icon for the draconian times we are called to live and cope in.

Should someone considers the course of Paradise Lost since 2005 and the release of their eponymous album, he would assume that the band’s sole burden lies in refining its superb trademark style and coming up with slightly differentiated but interesting versions of it from time to time. However, this was hardly the case in the time frame between the eponymous album and the band’s critically acclaimed breakthrough Draconian Times. With Draconian Times, the sound of Paradise Lost had come close to perfection and seemingly thrived only for minute future refinements. However, the band chose to deviate consciously from the trajectory that fans and press wanted it to follow and boldly explored unknown territories. The band’s complete return to form in 2005 with Paradise Lost initiated a line of excellent albums which were warmly embraced among long time fans and press. Fortunately enough, the new observation from Paradise Lost, titled Tragic Idol, while it is another excellent addition in the same respect, it is also prolifically remnicient of the band’s iconic doom/death era.

First few listening sessions will reveal little (if not anything) about the album’s excellent quality, first of all the flawless sound production, the best the band has ever had in years. The guitars are complemented with a thick, almost sludgy sound, while rhythm section and vocals are given tremendous depth and audibility. Despite the bland first impression being given upon first listens, the album is a grower in the best of every possible sense. The delay in the revelation of the album’s merits lies for the most part in the band’s conviction to appear restrained with respect to the stretch arrangements are allowed to have per song and in the album as a whole. The rhythm section of Edmondson/Erlandsson and the rhythm guitars of Greg Mackintosh adopt a virtually asphyxiating doom/death vibe which is combined with discrete influences from old school heavy metal. Mackintosh appears restrained even in his trademark lead guitar improvisations, as the latter exist mostly to complement the rhythm guitars. Holmes, on the other hand, contributes some of his best vocals in a long time. Literally, he hasn’t sung with such passion and conviction since Icon and Draconian Times. The amount of energy he puts in the choruses of songs such as “Honesty In Death” or the epic album closer “The Glorious End” is simply colossal. His lyrics, although they are abstract by default, showcase a stronger focus on the struggles of modern man against all possible sources of despair and anguish.

Instead of a prologue: Tragic Idol is the long overdue compensation of an album that Paradise Lost die-hard fans were expecting to succeed Draconian Times back in 1995. Paradise Lost decided to pay a full and whole-hearted visit to their core attributes so as to bring forth ideas and sounds that were thought to be fully eradicated during the band’s evolutionary process. With Tragic Idol, the band’s burden in maintaining the same level of interest in years to come just got a lot more heavier.

Voivod VoivodEssence Beyond Carnivalism
Electric Citizen SateenVicious Rumors Live You to Death 2 - American Punishment
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareThe Graviators Motherload
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
There is something beautiful in these minor tones; it’s just like looking at a lobster for the fir...

ksoflas (4.5)
Massive, majestic, stern, a flawless album from all angles which brings proudly the group’s signat...

Trey Spencer STAFF (3.5)
Paradise Lost have finally completed their transition away from the electro-rock influences and have...

April 25th 2012

Constructive criticism is most welcome.

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

SgtPepper
April 25th 2012

Good review. I've never been a real fan of this band, per se, but i do enjoy some of their songs. I'll check this out.
POS'd.

taylormemer
April 25th 2012

First sentence is a bit awkward.

Got that Taylor.

Review editing is down atm, will edit as soon as the review editing attribute gets fixed.

Jethro42
April 25th 2012

A 50th is pointing at the horizon, Vod. Fiesta!

April 25th 2012

50th is probably going to be Voivod's Negatron or an unexpected surprise from an even more obscure act.

We will see ;-)

KjSwantko

Nice review, Voi.

TheNotrap
April 26th 2012

"Despite the bland first impression being given upon first listens, the album is a grower in the best of every possible sense."
Agreed.

Good job, have a pos.

@Willie
"It's weird. A lot of people seem to see the self-titled album as a return to form, but I've always seen it as the weak link between Symbol of Life and In Requiem."

In my humble opinion the self-titled is their best album since Draconian Times. Their most inspired album of the 00's. I know few people agree with me but that's my opinion.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

gota check

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

April 26th 2012

I couldn't agree more, although I think In Requiem is excellent too.

Paradise Lost could legitimately be the heir apparent to Draconian Times.

Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us was great, but it lacked edge imho, mostly due to the sound production.

To be perfectly accurate, there are mere traces of electronic influences at the introductions of tracks 4 and 7 in Paradise Lost. However, those traces do not make Paradise Lost a link between the albums you mentioned.

greg84
April 26th 2012

This album is good, but only in small doses. It gets really tiresome when you want to get through the entire thing in one go. There isn't enough dynamics or diversity and thus the songs blend into one another.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

April 26th 2012

I can see your point about the diversity and the songs blending into one another Greg, but this record has tremendous dynamics.

As I said the album is a grower plus for some weird reason, it works (for me) infinitely better when heard during the night.

Tyrael

20884 Comments

eh

you're weird voivod lol

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

I'll take that as a compliment Ty :-P

fish.

21968 Comments

Yeah. I haven't heard much of their old stuff but Symbol of Life and their ST are my favourites from their post-One Second era

Willie
April 26th 2012

You're still stuck on the electronics when all I meant was that the self-titled album is the weak link between two better albums because, you know, they are linked chronologically.

rockandmetaljunkie
April 26th 2012

Although i have no idea about how this band's music sound like, this review made me willing to make a few spins and dig this band in the near future. Good review Voivod, pos'd.